Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Forums

Syndicado (ended 1999)

Ezri Dax

anthem47

[41]Mar 30, 2012
    • level: 6

Batfreak99 wrote:
    I liked Ezri. She was very different to Jadzia but still Dax. Jadzia was one of my favorites so obviously I prefer her to Ezri. But they're both Dax and I love the Dax character so it was nice to see a brand new host and how she dealt with being joined. I was very saddened by Jadzia's death at the end of season 6 but they kept her ''memory'' alive with constant references and through Ezri so it still felt like she was there in spirit. The last episode bugged me when she didn't feature in anyone's flashbacks. That stood out like a sore thumb in an otherwise excellent scene.

I'm three years too late to reply to this, but anyway...

To be fair to the DS9 staff, they asked Terry Farrell for the rights to use her image in that flashback sequence but she said no.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pferreira86

[42]Apr 9, 2012
    • level: 17

anthem47 wrote:

Batfreak99 wrote:
    I liked Ezri. She was very different to Jadzia but still Dax. Jadzia was one of my favorites so obviously I prefer her to Ezri. But they're both Dax and I love the Dax character so it was nice to see a brand new host and how she dealt with being joined. I was very saddened by Jadzia's death at the end of season 6 but they kept her ''memory'' alive with constant references and through Ezri so it still felt like she was there in spirit. The last episode bugged me when she didn't feature in anyone's flashbacks. That stood out like a sore thumb in an otherwise excellent scene.

I'm three years too late to reply to this, but anyway...

To be fair to the DS9 staff, they asked Terry Farrell for the rights to use her image in that flashback sequence but she said no.

Farrell was obviously utilizing what we call the Crispin Glover law.Wink

TREKOBSESSION

[43]Apr 19, 2012
    • level: 2

Well..I think Terry Farrell should have done the right thing and finished off the series and the directors should have come to some compromise and lessened here load a bit. I think they both owed it to show's fans to have seen this through the end.

Sometimes people in the entertainment business forget who really is the source of their success.

ChipsTheButler

[44]Apr 22, 2012
    • level: 9
    Make two TV shows at once? Impossible. Look at the sort of hell Michael J Fox went through making Family Ties and BTTF at the same time, and expand that over how long it takes to make a TV show. Eep.

pferreira86

[45]Apr 24, 2012

TREKOBSESSION wrote:

Well..I think Terry Farrell should have done the right thing and finished off the series and the directors should have come to some compromise and lessened here load a bit. I think they both owed it to show's fans to have seen this through the end.

Sometimes people in the entertainment business forget who really is the source of their success.

Bare in mind she asked to leave but not to be killed off.

ChipsTheButler

[46]May 19, 2012
    • level: 9

Her character was a trill, she was deluding herself if they thought they wouldn't kill her character off. What about worf? they can't just ship her character off so easily.

pferreira86

[47]May 20, 2012

ChipsTheButler wrote:

Her character was a trill, she was deluding herself if they thought they wouldn't kill her character off. What about worf? they can't just ship her character off so easily.

According to an interview with Star Trek Magazine she wanted to leave and then come back for a couple of necessary episodes. The producers convinced her that killing off her character would have a more dramatic impact so she went along with that.

TheFza

[48]Nov 12, 2013
    • level: 3

pferreira86 wrote:

ChipsTheButler wrote:

According to an interview with Star Trek Magazine she wanted to leave and then come back for a couple of necessary episodes. The producers convinced her that killing off her character would have a more dramatic impact so she went along with that.

I think the producers were right, I was appalled when she died. That was some great TV

While I didn't love Ezri the way I did Jadzeia I think that was mostly because I spent 6 years getting to know Jadzeia's character while all we had was 1 year for Ezri. It just couldn't be helped... though if we had another 3 years of DS9 (gosh what a treat that would have been) I think Ezri may have supplanted Jadzeia. I liked Ezri, she was a much different character they we usually got from a Trek series and it was interesting to see her struggle with what it means to be someone you weren't before. Though I always thought the Trills were very Phillip K Dick-en, the themes of identity they could play with were very interesting.

Anyway what I was more confused about then all the Dax stuff was who the heck the stations science office was? It wasn't that psycho-Vulcan was it? I mean if it was wouldn't he have been on the bridge at some point?! And was Ezri filling in for him on the Defiant because she had shot him or did Sisko just decide he need a ships counselor on hand for the big butt-kicking ending of the war? That all was just very strange.

Okay, I'm sure someone mentioned this but we never had a satisfactory end to Worf and Troy's relationship, and as of the TNG movies it seemed she was dating Riker again (which I think Troy's guest-appearances on Voyager also reinforced).