Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Forums

Syndicado (ended 1999)

Favourite guest character and why?

Favourite guest character?

Phliam

[1]Oct 10, 2008
    • level: 21

Vote for your favourite non-regular character, and why you think they were so great!

(Unfortunately there are only five options for the vote, so feel free to mention other characters)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jrsgalaxy

[2]Oct 19, 2008
    • level: 14
    Probably Gowron was my fave. The eyes of Gowron have it!! Well since Gowron was more a TNG fave and this is DS9 then I would have to say Elim GArak as well. I almost forgot about him He was such a well rounded character wasn't he. Had moral conflicts. Tried to be good but sometimes the power of the dark side would seduce him again and he would relapse. I actaully have a Star Trek Figure of Garak. Its not those little five inch action figures but the 8 inch playmates dolls that have real cloth clothes which makes it more cooler looking. And for the life of me I dont know where I have it. I dont know if I have it stored somewhere or if I sold it. Im gonna have to look for that. Uptil now I had forgotten that I owned one of those. End rant. Sorry guys. Nostalgia is a $!tch.
    Edited on 12/23/2008 6:17pm

cactusjack39

[3]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 30
    Garak. He always had something to say that would make you think. He added the reality look to things.

timmer82

[4]Dec 20, 2008
    • level: 9
    I voted for Garak. I loved that you always had a sense that he was good, but he was also able to be vague enough at times to suggest he might be a Cardassian spy. His episodes are so good.

lazyjay

[5]Dec 20, 2008
    • level: 30
    Garak, no question. He was the most interesting character in the whole series. His moral conflicts colored every episode he was featured in because we never quite knew what his true motivations were... self interest, the Cardasian empire, the "right thing"? We never knew (other than the fact that it was a Trek series and the good guys always win). The only other characters who displayed near the amount of moral conflict were Sisko and Odo, but we always knew at the end what side they would fall on. Garak almost always left us wondering.

Batfreak99

[6]Apr 26, 2009
    • level: 2
    Garak.

He was actually my favorite character in the entire show.

pferreira86

[7]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 17
    I have to go with Nog. I liked his friendship with Jake and his continuing growth as a character. Also, as a teenager watching the show I found it easier to identify with Jake and Nog than a slightly unhinged Cardassian spy. But the other characters including Garak are great though.
    Edited on 04/27/2009 3:17am

JediSnoopy

[8]May 13, 2009
    • level: 13
    Garak, hands down. The fact that we didn't explore every angle of his life made him far more interesting.

MCGlenn1981

[9]Jan 1, 2010
    • level: 6

ODO - "You'd shoot a man in the back?"

GARAK - "its the safest way"

Garak was my favourite character by a long way, without him we wouldn't have had "In the pale moonlight"

His coversation on the promenade with Odo is the best piece of dialogue in the Trek Universe, the one where he regrets not having killed Dukat by shooting him in the back

Edited on 01/01/2010 2:46pm

JediSnoopy

[10]Jan 27, 2010
    • level: 13

LOL...I know!

"But then I thought, 'No, I don't want to have to kill all these Klingons myself'"...

Also:

After Bashir tell him the moral of the story of the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" and Garak questions it, Bashir asks him what else it could be. Garak: "That you should never tell the same lie twice".

oldsystem

[11]Jan 30, 2010
    • level: 2
    I just finished the series last night, and since the first episode with Garak, I looked forward to every other one. For all the same reasons mentioned above; we didn't know the truth about him, a man with many secrets is much more interesting than Kira's bed, where nothing is secret. But what mostly drew me to Garak was his flare for the dramatic. You won't get a better acting performance on the show. He's not just a former spy who worked in intelligence, he is intelligent and creative. And his mannerisms and facial expressions were simply wonderful. That plastered on smile of his and raised eyebrows with "why would I do so silly a thing as tell you" written all over it-just classic.

Rattrap007

[12]Oct 5, 2010
    of those it is Garrak. He is well written and keeps you guessing. is he just homesick? Is he a spy? you constantly second guess him and then your self. Not on there I'd say either Morn or Grand Negaus. To me Morn is fun because it can be like a Where's Waldo with him. When you see him you gotta shout "MORN!!!" Zek/Neagus is comedy gold half the time. Plus Wallace Shaw's voice makes it even funnier.

jrsgalaxy

[13]Oct 5, 2010

Garak was the best on that show even though he usually plays weasels in movies. This was a refreshing character for him.

sporkman5353

[14]May 29, 2011
    • level: 18

I'm only on season 2, but thus far Garak was brilliantly scripted and brillinatly acted--one of the best characters. After him, Gul Dukat seems to be a great villain. Haven't got to Weyoun or Martok yet.

pferreira86

[15]Jun 12, 2011

sporkman5353 wrote:

I'm only on season 2, but thus far Garak was brilliantly scripted and brillinatly acted--one of the best characters. After him, Gul Dukat seems to be a great villain. Haven't got to Weyoun or Martok yet.

Yes keep watching. It's already great but it gets even better! I also agree that in Season 2 Garak is at his best in The Wire.

Edited on 06/12/2011 2:14pm

blackmage8472

[16]Jul 9, 2011
    • level: 15

Garak was an awesome character, a wonderful manipulator. They made him even better by never really giving the whole story about him.

However, I still have to say Dukat. In my opinion, Dukat was simply the greatest villain that star trek ever had.

ChipsTheButler

[17]Jul 9, 2011
    • level: 9
    Dukat, his actor was fantastic and the way he stirred up trouble wherever he went was great.

pferreira86

[18]Jul 10, 2011

I almost cried at the end of Sacrifice of Angels. Poor Dukat... Cry

archangelwho

[19]Jul 24, 2011
    • level: 18

Garak. Had more depth than any of the characters, guest or regular.

KingofIPirates

[20]Dec 12, 2011
    • level: 32
    It's close but overall I have to pick Dukat.