Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Forums

Syndicado (ended 1999)

Has Q ever appeared in DS9?

DoctorShade

[1]Jan 7, 2008
    • level: 28
    My question is the name of the thread, Voyager and The Next Generation Q appears and he always makes for a good plot line. I haven't seen every episode of DS9 but the ones have seen I can't remember ever seeing Q come in.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Richiebcfc25

[2]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 47
    DoctorShade wrote:
    My question is the name of the thread, Voyager and The Next Generation Q appears and he always makes for a good plot line. I haven't seen every episode of DS9 but the ones have seen I can't remember ever seeing Q come in.
    Q does appear in DS9 in the episode Q-Less

tvloverduh

[3]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 22
    very early 1st season... I also suggest watching the show in order (NETFLIX maybe?)

FrozenHeart_

[4]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 8
    Ah yes he does and as allways when he makes an appearance, Its some funny stuff

DoctorShade

[5]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 28
    tvloverduh wrote:
    very early 1st season... I also suggest watching the show in order (NETFLIX maybe?)

Good idea, I do have Netflix.

lennydonkey

[6]Jan 10, 2008
    • level: 12
    Personally I kind of like the fact that Q was barely in DS9 (just the one ep). I love him as a character, in TNG he was a great foil to Picard, and in VOY his character developed a lot. But I just don't think there was any place for him in DS9. And I'm glad they didn't try to shoehorn him in.

And I'll vouch for Netflix being a great way to watch a series. Three months worth costs as much as any one season of any star trek. You can really get caught up in a hurry. And even if you've seen it all, I still got the last disc of each season so I could see all the bonus features and interviews that I'd never seen before. Great.

agent_0042

[7]Apr 27, 2008
    • level: 66
    I seem to recall reading a comment from somebody associated with the show that the Q character didn't really work on Deep Space Nine. There were opportunities for the character to work on Next Generation and Voyager, but what happened when Q appeared on Deep Space Nine? Sisko punched him!

2crour93

[8]May 6, 2008

Q's appearance in DS9 was terrible and only existed to try and lure over TNG fans to DS9. After TNG's horrible episode 'QPid', I wasn't eager to see the Q/Vash team again, but oh well...

That's not to say I hate Q all together. He introduced us to the Borg in 'Q Who?', and his after-death appearance to Picard in 'Tapestry' was amusing. Finally, of course, was the superb series finale 'All Good Things...' that brought the show full circle.

Almost forgot, his appearance in Voyager's 'Death Wish' was great, too bad about all the other horrible ones though!

AegisAtreyu

[9]Oct 15, 2008
    • level: 17
    Yeah Q didn't really work in DS9 at all - where he was a foil for Picard he was just an annoyance to Sisko, evidenced by the fact that he was punched by him. The only TNG recurring character that worked was Lwaxanna Troi mainly because of her relationship with Odo - she was his perfect foil (and confident) up to her last appearance in I think Season 4 (the transition season).

virtucar

[10]Oct 16, 2008
    I agree, I'm glad he didn't appear after this one episode. I think the punching business was to establish just how different the Sisko character is from Picard.

jrsgalaxy

[11]Oct 19, 2008
    • level: 14
    I cant believe ive never seen that episode as I love watching Q episodes. AS for Voyager I dont think he went that wellover with taudience as they were hoping. And they really jumped the sharked when he had a baby. Although the slightly redeemed themselves when they made the baby to be a teen almost instantly as the actor who was De lancies real life son was great .

TREKOBSESSION

[12]Oct 30, 2008
    • level: 2

The Q character like all unexpected popular characters(Ex:Fonzie) suffered from over exposure and dilution of the character original intent. The Q in episode 1 and 2 of TNG was a self appointed protector of his own greatness. I think his "What If ..?" manipulation of events in the first Borg encounter episode and when Picard had a chance to change his past to live again was the peak of his character portrayal. After that he sought of became a buffoonish, interfering character. Yes his appearances there after for the most part were funny,,but I would have preferred him to have evolved into a character that played the Star Trek universe like a chess board...manipulating events for his own a amusement. One example for me would have been to have the federation defeated by the dominion and at the surrendering scene have Q show up and say"sorry I'm late for the party....but I'm here now and I brought a few friends"...and have everyone pan towards the screen viewer and see a fleet of Borg showing up.

Batfreak99

[13]Apr 26, 2009
    I have mixed feelings about Q.

I loved his Next Gen episodes but hated his DS9 and Voy ones.

Maybe he just works better with the Next Gen cast.

I would've liked to see Vash make a few more appearances on DS9 alongside Quark. I think there was some humor to be had from that pairing. Vash would've fit in well on DS9.

lazyjay

[14]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 30
    Batfreak99 wrote:
    I would've liked to see Vash make a few more appearances on DS9 alongside Quark. I think there was some humor to be had from that pairing. Vash would've fit in well on DS9.

That is a great observation. Not much else to say, just good on you!

pferreira86

[15]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 17

I agree that Q probably didn't fit into DS9 but the episode Q-Less was great! I especially loved the auction bit.

Batfreak99

[16]Apr 27, 2009
    lazyjay wrote:
    Batfreak99 wrote:

That is a great observation. Not much else to say, just good on you!

lol that's my one bright thought for the week.

Enjoy! lmao

JediSnoopy

[17]May 13, 2009
    • level: 13

It's a guilty pleasure. Q following Vash around like a lost dog...completely out of character...but I loved the argument in her quarters. I suppose that, like Data, Q's curiosity about humans, coupled with his constant interaction with them, has affected him too much. Q just didn't connect with Sisko the way he did with Picard. Picard is a diplomat and deals with Q by jumping through the obstacles until he's done what Q wants. Sisko just didn't have time for that nonsense.