Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Forums

Syndicado (ended 1999)

I need info!

henry281

[1]Oct 14, 2010
    • level: 3

First of all, I loved Babylon 5 because of the huge story arc.

That said, I'm wondering whether or not this would be worth watching for me. I generally don't like shows like House with mostly stand alone episodes, and I know that the first season of Babylon 5 is full of stand alone episodes, and even some of the later seasons, but I go through it when I know it's worth it, as it was in B5.

Believe it or not, I've never watched any Star Trek before, so is it alright to start here? And most importantly, I see pretty low ratings here (and I'm not judging, just observing.), and they never seem to rise in later seasons as they did in B5. Some stand out episodes here and there, but mostly they stay the same. Now, I know that this is very subjective and you don't have to flame me, but please tell me about this. Does this end up as a huge arc story like B5? Or will it be lots of stand alones episodes all the way through?

I think what I need right now is to see a sci fi show like B5. Big story, stand alones here and there, it happens of course, but mostly I want to feel it's worth it. Can this show deliver what I want? And if not, can you people recommend me other shows that might?

Edited on 10/14/2010 11:36am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jokipper

[2]Oct 14, 2010
    • level: 50
    If you liked B5, then you'll probably like DS9--but probably not as much. DS9 does have long story arcs with a good share of stand-alone episodes, but the going is a bit slower since it consists of seven seasons instead of five. Having seen B5, you'll find DS9 to be very familiar, since they "borrowed" a lot of ideas from B5 creator Straczynki.

There's no reason why you couldn't start viewing the Star Trek universe with DS9, as the story is mostly self-contained.

Sticking with sci-fi, the other best example of a "big story" would be Battlestar Galactica, which I highly recommend. Star Trek Voyager would be another one, and Firefly is worth viewing as long as the Serenity film is watched for closure.
    Edited on 10/14/2010 2:07pm

henry281

[3]Oct 15, 2010
    Yeah I've seen BSG, Firefly, Serenity

I might see DS9. I know I have to get through stand alones, a lot more of them than B5, but I just want a series that feels it was worth going through in the end. Which generally means a long story arc, which you said it provides.

Another thing that I feel pays off is character development in stand alone episodes. Plot is not all there is! Either way, B5 provided just enough of both to make me happy. How do you like the stand alones generally though? I would be alright going through a streak of them, if they are good, and if there's story that pays off eventually. And by "long" story arcs, how long do you mean?

agent_0042

[4]Oct 27, 2010
    • level: 66
    I think the longest in the final season, which is a total of eight episodes, followed by the series finale. The sixth season also begins with an arc that is considered seven episodes long.

You may or may not like Deep Space Nine. Some fans swear by it, while others, not so much. It does have some truly brilliant moments, but there are elements that are problematic as well. It hasn't proven at all successful in syndication - the only network (at least in the U.S.) that has ever attempted to air it in syndication is Spike TV, and they pulled it at least a year ago, but still sometimes air Star Trek: Voyager (which hasn't done all that great either, but much better compared to DS9.)

Among elements that fans either like or dislike:

- The heavy references to political and religious elements.
    - The generally darker tone of the series -- if you're looking to tune in for some fun, then there are relatively few opportunities for it in this series.
    - The fact that most of the series is set on the space station and not space exploration.

amarulucky

[5]Nov 30, 2010

You also might like Star Trek Enterprise as well. The big storyline arc (a new term for me, but I think I get the jist of it) is the temporal cold war, and it even sort of has an arc within the arc with the Xindi. The "arc" about the Xindi has a lot to do with the "arc" about the temporal cold war. I don't know exactly why it wasn't as big of a hit as the other Star Trek spin-offs, but I personally thought it was a great show, especially getting to see and understand some of the roots of the show, how theVulcanculture and society became what it is, the story ofDr. Soong & how he came tocybertronics, &how the Federation ultimately gets started.And of course it has one of thehottest women in Star Trek history, T'Pol, a Vulcan, right up there with Seven of Nine from Voyager