Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Forums

Syndicado (ended 1999)

Should TV.com & all other fan sites delete all of the Star Trek pages?

archangelwho

[1]May 14, 2009
    • level: 18

Now that the new movie is out and everything that has happen on all of the Star Trek show has been deleted due to a timeline change should www.tv.com & all other fan sites to stay true to the storyline delete anything & everything Star Trek?

More for research.This came from a discussion I was have that somehow lead to the new movie.I wrote this while careing for a sick 4 years old and a very active 18 mos old. I should have also asked how long you have been a Star Trek fan and your age.

Edited on 05/15/2009 6:02am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JediSnoopy

[2]May 14, 2009
    • level: 13
    Why? The shows still aired, regardless of what happened in the new film. Deleting 40 years worth of television programming just because one movie has decided to reboot everything is a little drastic.

timgueguen

[3]May 14, 2009
    • level: 13
    Yep, silly idea. If you followed that idea faithfully a large hunk of TV.com would vanish because new versions of various things have appeared ie Galactica 2003.

agent_0042

[4]May 15, 2009
    • level: 66
    The new Star Trek film is nothing but another alternate timeline. Like when Worf quantum-shifts in the "Parallels" episode of Next Generation. Why would anything be deleted unless the TV shows are going to be deleted from the airwaves as well? (and even then) Last I checked, all of the Star Trek shows are still airing, or are available on DVD.

P.S.: And if one were to actually take that idea seriously, then why would you not include the official site in that as well. Which, BTW, hasn't dumped the content that it is for the past Star Trek series not related to the film.

P.P.S.: Was this thread intended as a joke?
    Edited on 05/15/2009 12:59am
    Edited 2 total times.

archangelwho

[5]May 15, 2009
    • level: 18
    More like research. It came from a discussion I was having that some how lead to the new movie. I worte the question while taking care of a sick 4 years old and a very active18 mos old. I should have asked for your age and how long you have been a Star Trek fan.

pferreira86

[6]May 15, 2009
    • level: 17
    I think a bigger question we should be asking from a fan point of view is how is the new Star Trek film is going to affect merchandising. If they are restarting will we still see stuff like novels, toys and video games set within the original timeline. Something to think about.

agent_0042

[7]May 15, 2009
    • level: 66
    archangelwho wrote:
    More like research. It came from a discussion I was having that some how lead to the new movie. I worte the question while taking care of a sick 4 years old and a very active18 mos old. I should have asked for your age and how long you have been a Star Trek fan.

Oh, okay. Yeah, I wish you had mentioned that before. The idea makes sense using kid logic, though not really any other way.

TV_Knight

[8]May 30, 2009
    • level: 7
    That's one of the silliest things I've ever heard!

beowulf579

[9]Jun 2, 2009
    • level: 59
    My question that the new Trek movie brings up is....which version of Trek is suppose to be the one we are in?

Star Trek prime which includes: TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY
    Star Trek Ent
    Star Trek the new movie

I separate Enterprise because alot of ppl think it's from another timeline. But with the inclusion of Archer's dog being mentioned in the New Movie...maybe Ent is a part of that one.

pferreira86

[10]Jun 3, 2009
    • level: 17
    As far as I'm aware Star Trek: Enterprise did happen in both timelines as the alternate timline was only created afterwards beginning with Kirk's father's death.

TV_Knight

[11]Jun 4, 2009
    • level: 7

pferreira86 wrote:
    As far as I'm aware Star Trek: Enterprise did happen in both timelines as the alternate timline was only created afterwards beginning with Kirk's father's death.

Correct.

Fryerider

[12]Jun 13, 2011
    • level: 5

Let's think about this using Star Trek logic.

There have been many time travel episodes and examples in the movies. (Since I'm writing this to those I suppose are fans I don't feel the need to give examples.) With the recent reboot movie we currently have a new time line, also based on time travel. But the question is: How long will that time line last? Or will someone from the future, or even the past, come through time and destroy the ship that caused that time line shift, therefore it's effect on the time line, thereby restoring the original time line? Since that hasn't happened yet in the canon of Star Trek, we can't be sure which time line will survive, or if even another time line may supercede both of these time lines. So let's keep enjoying Star Trek, and take a "wait and see" attitude.

I am Fryerider, and I approve this message.

Edited on 06/13/2011 1:36am

ChipsTheButler

[13]Jun 25, 2011
    • level: 9
    Fryerider wrote:

I am Fryerider, and I approve this message.

No you don't.

scifinut99

[14]Jul 4, 2011
    • level: 15

enterprise is part of both timelines. warch the enterprise episode these are the voyages. that episode actualy takes place on enterprise-d during the pegasus episode with riker and troi talking and and going into the holodeck to see an important part of federation history. the timeline changes when nero and nirada show up and kirks father sacrifises hinself to save everyone. the new timeline will go in a new direction all the way throgh with what happens with voyager. but the prime timeline that included tos,tng ds9,voyager and first 10 movies are still in existence. think of the mirror epiosdes from tos and ds9 that alterniate timeline continued while the prime timeline continued as well. now i know why my dad hates the time travel episodes it gets confusing trying to explain everything

ChipsTheButler

[15]Jul 6, 2011
    You need to think four dimensionally!

ChipsTheButler

[16]Apr 22, 2012
    Oh yeah also JJ Abrams has gone on the record to say that Trek will return to the prime universe eventually- most likely for its next TV series.

TheFza

[17]Nov 13, 2013
    • level: 3

beowulf579 wrote:
    My question that the new Trek movie brings up is....which version of Trek is suppose to be the one we are in? Star Trek prime which includes:

TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY

Star Trek Ent

Star Trek the new movie

I separate Enterprise because alot of ppl think it's from another timeline. But with the inclusion of Archer's dog being mentioned in the New Movie...maybe Ent is a part of that one.

Haha, great idea to have ALL the terrible things together - the JJ Trek and Enterprise... now if only we could shoehorn in Voyager we could just forget how bad Trek became.... sadly none of that makes sense because the last episode of Enterprise had Riker and Troy in it (if you haven't seen it thank your lucky stars).

It's my understanding that the JJ-Trek is just an alt-timeline like others have pointed out, but I've heard that they is going to be the main timeline from now on. But as Spock came from our timeline to the alt the events that preceded his departure did happen, i.e. the destruction of the Romulan home system and Spock's subsequent disappearance when trying to snuff the problem out.

While I don't know if it's considered cannon (I believe the rule has always been only if it's on TV or in Movies is it cannon) but the prequel Countdown explains it rather well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Countdown

Edited on 11/13/2013 1:50am
    Edited 4 total times.

Madelynn1984

[18]Jun 15, 2014
    • level: 6

TheFza wrote:

Haha, great idea to have ALL the terrible things together - the JJ Trek and Enterprise... now if only we could shoehorn in Voyager we could just forget how bad Trek became.... sadly none of that makes sense because the last episode of Enterprise had Riker and Troy in it (if you haven't seen it thank your lucky stars).

It's my understanding that the JJ-Trek is just an alt-timeline like others have pointed out, but I've heard that they is going to be the main timeline from now on. But as Spock came from our timeline to the alt the events that preceded his departure did happen, i.e. the destruction of the Romulan home system and Spock's subsequent disappearance when trying to snuff the problem out.

While I don't know if it's considered cannon (I believe the rule has always been only if it's on TV or in Movies is it cannon) but the prequel Countdown explains it rather well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Countdown

I would like it if they went back to the "real" timeline at some point!

Seriously, Voyager was awesome, you're crazy.