We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Forums

Syndicado (ended 1999)

Stardate Season Question

mk335

[1]May 19, 2010
    • level: 12

Is there anyway to know what season you are in by the Stardate? I know that in Star Trek: The Next Generation the second number in the Stardate is the season that the episode is in. So if anyone knows that would be great.

Thanks In Advance,

mk335

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[2]May 20, 2010
    • level: 66
    A quick glance tells me that the ones in the first season start with 46 and then it's successive from there, so the second season is 47, ending with the final season at 52. However, unlike with The Next Generation, provided stardates seem to be the exception rather than the rule with this series, especially in latter seasons.

jrsgalaxy

[3]May 26, 2010
    • level: 14
    agent_0042 wrote:
    A quick glance tells me that the ones in the first season start with 46 and then it's successive from there, so the second season is 47, ending with the final season at 52. However, unlike with The Next Generation, provided stardates seem to be the exception rather than the rule with this series, especially in latter seasons.
    Yeah I think that is correct. TNG started with 41 and the show itself started in 1987 and ended in Stardate 47 , seven years later. And I think I've seen Vegas Theme Shows stating Stardates with the corresponding year using the same format as TNG started. So if it was the year 1995 it would start with the Stardate 49 followed by three other numbers to complete it. But beside the fact that the stardates keep going up nobody knows the exact science to it. At least thats what Gene Roddenberry stated once.

pferreira86

[4]May 30, 2010
    • level: 20

Deep Space Nine began with 46 and ended on 52.

Star Trek Voyager began on 48 and ended on 54.

jrsgalaxy

[5]May 30, 2010
    pferreira86 wrote:

Yeah 48 which would have been TNG's 8th season if it had kept going. Anyone know why they did exactly 7 for every show after TOS except Enterprise of course which got canned ?

pferreira86

[6]Jun 6, 2010

jrsgalaxy wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

Yeah 48 which would have been TNG's 8th season if it had kept going. Anyone know why they did exactly 7 for every show after TOS except Enterprise of course which got canned ?
    Well the original series was also cancelled before it had a chance to continue. When they originally made The Next Generation series the ratings were good enough for it to continue to Season 7. However the ratings for the series were beginning to drop near the end and were no where as good as in Season 4 and 5. The actors were getting tired of making the series, the network wanted something fresh after seven years of the same show and the writers were suffering from creative burnout. That's why you'll notice the last season suffers from a lot of padding before the finale and in my opinion the season was quite weak. A show like Stargate SG-1 could have learned a lesson from TNG as in quit while you're ahead. Seven years is enough for any show and this probably was felt by the networks who produced the other series so it became a standard just to do seven years.

So I think they were wise to quit after seven seasons.

Edited on 06/06/2010 10:07am
    Edited 2 total times.

jrsgalaxy

[7]Jun 6, 2010

Oh thnx that makes sense.

pferreira86

[8]Jun 13, 2010

I'd just like to add that there was a bit of pressure on the producers by the network to end the show to allow Next Generation movies to follow after the series.

Edited on 06/13/2010 9:57am

jrsgalaxy

[9]Jun 15, 2010

Seven years is well enough time to tell all the stories needed to tell with that particular crew. That last season was a bit weak. Seemed like they were just going through the motions. Even the good ones like Pre-Emptive Strike seemed to me a little forced on us. So Ro defected to the Maquis. Big deal . They got out a prison . What did they expect. Now if someone say like Geordi would have defected then it might have had a much bigger impact on us and the Enterprise crew. LaForge would have been the last person I would believe to do that.

jrsgalaxy

[10]Jun 17, 2010
    pferreira86 wrote:

jrsgalaxy wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

Well the original series was also cancelled before it had a chance to continue. When they originally made The Next Generation series the ratings were good enough for it to continue to Season 7. However the ratings for the series were beginning to drop near the end and were no where as good as in Season 4 and 5. The actors were getting tired of making the series, the network wanted something fresh after seven years of the same show and the writers were suffering from creative burnout. That's why you'll notice the last season suffers from a lot of padding before the finale and in my opinion the season was quite weak. A show like Stargate SG-1 could have learned a lesson from TNG as in quit while you're ahead. Seven years is enough for any show and this probably was felt by the networks who produced the other series so it became a standard just to do seven years.

Well that explains why TNG had seven seasons. But why did each successive show also have 7 seasons as well. Sticking to a good formula? Oh I also noticed (apart from first seasons of DS9 and Voyager because of the late premieres in Jan. I'm surprised they got to squeeze in 16 episodes before June.) that they all had 26 episodes as well for each season. So why does the 2nd season of TNG have only 22. Was there a strike that year or something?

pferreira86

[11]Jun 20, 2010

jrsgalaxy wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

jrsgalaxy wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

Well that explains why TNG had seven seasons. But why did each successive show also have 7 seasons as well. Sticking to a good formula? Oh I also noticed (apart from first seasons of DS9 and Voyager because of the late premieres in Jan. I'm surprised they got to squeeze in 16 episodes before June.) that they all had 26 episodes as well for each season. So why does the 2nd season of TNG have only 22. Was there a strike that year or something?
    Yes, there was the famous Writers Strike of 1988. It made it difficult to get scripts ready for that season. I think script editor Maurice Hurley was lucky to get 22 useable scripts together for that season regardless of the end results. Although some of those scripts for Season 2 were unused scripts from the original series and aborted Phase II series.

I really do believe you're right about them sticking to the formula of doing just the seven seasons. The DS9 and Voyager actors were aware even during filming of the first season that they'd be doing this for seven years so it was a standard and helped also with network syndication. I believe they would need at least 88 episodes to sell internationally. I remember some of the DS9 cast during Season 7 wanting to do an eighth season but I think seven is enough. As I've mentioned the last season was probably the weakest. I mean, there's an episode called Forces of Nature where the first half of the story is about Spot the Cat for heaven's sake! The second twenty minutes are about the eco-activists but the whole Spot plot is totally forgotten about so it's impossible in retrospect to figure out what was the subplot and what is the main plot! Foot in mouth

Edited on 06/20/2010 6:08am

NiallB31

[12]Jun 22, 2014
    • level: 8

The Original series ratings were bad from the beginning and was canceled after its third season.

The Next Generation was supposed to have a season 8, but Paramount decided to end the series after seven seasons and continue the series in movie format, hoping that they would make a profit from the movies. The ratings in TNGs seventh season were the best the series had through its seven year run. Season one actually had the lowest ratings of the seven year run. (Source: Star Trek TNG companion)

Deep Space Nine was originally guaranteed six seasons, and the writers, producers and actors were ready to end it after season 6, but the studio renewed the series for a seventh season. (Source: Memory Alpha)

Voyager was nearly canceled during its second season due to declining ratings and the writers, producers were ready to end the series. Rumors were circulating that the series was to go on for ten season (which is totally untrue) and there was talk among the writers to bring the ship home in season 5 and have the remaining seasons have the crew explore the Alpha Quadrant. But it was decided to keep the ship lost until the finale. Season 7 was planned as the final season of the series. (Source: Star Trek Voyager Companion)

Enterprise premiered well, but by the end of the first season the ratings had hit those of Voyagers final season. By the end of the second season the show was nearly cancelled, but renewed with reduced budget and reduced episode order. The third season had three different endings filmed depending on whether UPN renewed the series or canceled it. The series was renewed and moved to Fridays for the fourth season (which was welcomed by most of the cast and crew, as The X Files did well there and some other shows). The move hurt the ratings and in February the series hit the lowest ratings ever and UPN canceled the series (during the filming of the Mirror world two-parter) so the writers had time to give the series a proper ending (or in there case end it i=the way they want). (Source: Memory Alpha)

TNG was the onyl Star Trek series that did well in the ratings. DS9 and VOY both premiered well but declined each season, as did Enterprise.

Edited on 06/22/2014 12:11pm