We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Forums

Syndicado (ended 1999)

Worf Back On The Enterprise?

cackle_jr

[1]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 7
    Did I miss something in Star Trek: Nemesis? I thought at the end of DS9 Worf was appointed ambassador to the Klingon Empire, yet in Nemesis he's back aboard the Enterprise and acts as though he's a regular crew member. I can understand him being present for Riker & Troi's wedding but after that he seems like he's back to being the security chief.

Anyone explain?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

beowulf579

[2]Mar 17, 2007
    • level: 59
    I think they just wanted to bring back Worf and figured most hardcore TNG fans wouldn't care about DS9 storylines mucking up stuff.

TimDrakeRobin

[3]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 26
    I could have sworn that there was a deleted line/scene in ST:N where Worf was supposed to say that the Ambassador job didn't work out and rejoined Starfleet. Remember how suprised Picard was that Worf was there? He wasn't part of the crew, but accompanied them on the Romulan mission for old times sake. But after Riker, Troi and Crusher left it seemed obvious he was going to stay.

JemHadar359

[4]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 6
    You are absolutely right, TimDrakeRobin. On the "Star Trek Nemesis" Special Edition DVD that deleted scene is there.

cackle_jr

[5]Aug 12, 2007
    I've just looked at the deleted scenes on my copy of Nemesis and there's no scene like that. (The only Worf scenes are one of him advising the Captain to go to red alert, and another where the Captains new chair is installed.)

wingsabre

[6]Aug 13, 2007
    • level: 13
    cackle_jr, do you have a copy of the Special Edition DVD? because it's on that, not other editions.

wingsabre

[8]Aug 21, 2007
    I think you need the director's cut special edition.

cackle_jr

[9]Aug 21, 2007
    Haha how many different editions are there?! No wonder I was confused.

wingsabre

[10]Aug 30, 2007
    there are so many, and there's different editions for different nations too... It's just the company trying to milk it from a not so good movie... If they did romulans they should have used sela as the enemy.

scifinut99

[11]Sep 14, 2007
    • level: 15

actuly denise crosby was offered a part in the movie but refused. Her part wouldve been sela but instead of the female romulan commander it wouldve been her.

actuly its in the book that explains worf's return to the enterprise it was that he felt being an ambaqssador was not for him so he returned to the enterprise

psychomgs

[12]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 4
    its actually because all the TNG films treated Worf like an idiot. plus it was written a hack fanboy who didn't watch DS9 and didn't that the character had actually had some real character development.

ReclusiveWriter

[14]Feb 13, 2008

I've read the script for Nemesis, and there was indeed a scene that apparently wasn't filmed, or was released on some other edition of the film where Worf says "I was not cut out for the life of a diplomat."

IMHO, they should not have cut this scene, as it's a rather important piece of transitional exposition, but hey. Editors. What do they know?

I also would've liked it if they'd kept the scene where Wesley Crusher reported that he'd be serving with Will Riker and Deanna Troi aboard the U.S.S. Titan.

Instead, the semi-canonical agreement between Paramount and Pocket Books showed that Wesley was indeed still a Traveler (yawn), and had just come for the wedding. (In the Nemesis lead-in book, he thought it was on Betazed and showed up naked before Beverly and Picard. ) The books since then have continued this.

ColonelCurt

[15]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 15

Worf doesn't necessarily need to have decided to stop being a diplomat. Foregin diplomats are often cycled into other duties after several years so they can share their insights and experiences. Its equally possible that the folks back at Federation Foregin Service (or whatever they're called) had a staff shuffling and Worf got moved around. I also don't think it was specifically stated that Worf had to leave Starfleet while he was off being ambassador-y. Starfleet could easily put him on extended leave, 1/2 pay, detached duty, whatever. There isn't really any problem with him returning to Starfleet service.

That being said... he's CLEARLY too senior for tactical officer posting on the Enterprise. He's a friggin Lt. Commander now! Plus he played a major role in the Dominion war, being nominal commander of the Defiant AND commanded it against the Borg incursion in First Contact. No matter how you slice it, he's due for a stint as either XO to a capital ship or possibly his own independent command. I don't remember, does he actually get this position after Riker leaves?

Edited on 04/15/2008 11:03pm

ReclusiveWriter

[16]Apr 26, 2008

Well, according to the TNG relaunch novels, (which apparantly ignore the intended arrival of Martin Madden) Worf initially doesn't want the post of First Officer, because he feels unworthy of the posting, after his behavior in DS9's 6th season episode "Change of Heart". However, he eventually accepts the post and becomes Picard's new First Officer.

In addition, in the Nemesis lead-in novels, hinted at in my previous post, Worf served as a diplomat for nearly four years (almost to the beginning of Nemesis), until a renegade group of Klingons, claiming that Emperor Kahless (seen in TNG's "Rightful Heir") has been abducted and replaced with a hologram. Not being the diplomatic sort, Worf worked with Martok to put down the rapidly spreading fire of uprising, without much success. But when the I.K.S. Ya'vang puts in at Kronos, Alexander helps his father discover that the rogues were indeed correct - about the hologram - but the Emperor had created it himself, seeing that his work with the Empire was done, and wanting to retire . . . alone. Because of his failure in this situation, Worf felt himself unsuitable as a diplomat and passed the posting to Alexander, thereby fulfilling his destiny seen in TNG's "Firstborn", while Worf himself returned to Starfleet and was posted to the Enterprise-E at Picard's request.

I hope all this answers your questions.

Edited on 04/26/2008 5:16pm

X-RayVision

[17]May 6, 2008
    • level: 11
    ReclusiveWriter wrote:

I've read the script for Nemesis, and there was indeed a scene that apparently wasn't filmed, or was released on some other edition of the film where Worf says "I was not cut out for the life of a diplomat."

IMHO, they should not have cut this scene, as it's a rather important piece of transitional exposition, but hey. Editors. What do they know?

I

Well it wasn't the first time that his return to the TNG fray wasn't handled that well.

First Contact was the only film to do it with gusto. He commanded the Defiant against the Borg and had to be beamed off when it was disabled.

Insurrection he just randomly shows up on the Enterprise, basically starting to say before he gets cut off mid-line, that he was in the area.

Nemesis, he's at the wedding then back at tactical on the Enterprise in the next scene.

TimDrakeRobin

[18]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 26
    Boinkdexter wrote:
    That's a bummer that Denise Crosby refused. Thank you for clarifying that for me though, scifinut99. With all the talk of Romulans in DS9 and Nemesis, it did not make sense to me that Sela was never mentioned again.
    That sucks. During DS9 I read/heard/saw interviews where she wanted to return as Sela during the Dominion war but they never brought her back.
    ReclusiveWriter wrote:
    Well, according to the TNG relaunch novels, (which apparantly ignore the intended arrival of Martin Madden) Worf initially doesn't want the post of First Officer, because he feels unworthy of the posting, after his behavior in DS9's 6th season episode "Change of Heart". However, he eventually accepts the post and becomes Picard's new First Officer.

In addition, in the Nemesis lead-in novels, hinted at in my previous post, Worf served as a diplomat for nearly four years (almost to the beginning of Nemesis), until a renegade group of Klingons, claiming that Emperor Kahless (seen in TNG's "Rightful Heir") has been abducted and replaced with a hologram. Not being the diplomatic sort, Worf worked with Martok to put down the rapidly spreading fire of uprising, without much success. But when the I.K.S. Ya'vang puts in at Kronos, Alexander helps his father discover that the rogues were indeed correct - about the hologram - but the Emperor had created it himself, seeing that his work with the Empire was done, and wanting to retire . . . alone. Because of his failure in this situation, Worf felt himself unsuitable as a diplomat and passed the posting to Alexander, thereby fulfilling his destiny seen in TNG's "Firstborn", while Worf himself returned to Starfleet and was posted to the Enterprise-E at Picard's request.

Thanks, have lsot track of the continuing story novels

Dirk13

[19]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 16
    The DS9 series "mucked things up"? I dunno, i;d take anything that happened on DS9 as more cannonized than the most recent Star Trek Movie (Nemesis).

Batfreak99

[20]Apr 26, 2009
    • level: 2
    That really annoyed me.

Though Nemesis itself really annoyed me.