Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Forums

Syndicado (ended 1999)

Worf Back On The Enterprise?

pferreira86

[21]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 18
    I guess from a audience's point of view they're going to the cinema to see a Star Trek Next Generation movie with all the characters they remember from the TV show. A good majority of fans just following TNG aren't going to know or remember Worf serving on DS9 so to keep the film within a reasonable running time he's just on board the Enterprise like he never left. I hate not having an explanation either but I think this was what happened.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Batfreak99

[22]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 2
    pferreira86 wrote:
    I guess from a audience's point of view they're going to the cinema to see a Star Trek Next Generation movie with all the characters they remember from the TV show. A good majority of fans just following TNG aren't going to know or remember Worf serving on DS9 so to keep the film within a reasonable running time he's just on board the Enterprise like he never left. I hate not having an explanation either but I think this was what happened.

Apparently the director wasn't even a Star Trek fan and had never watched or bothered to learn about any of it.

Poor Wesley Crusher had his scenes cut except for brief glimpse of him at the wedding. The director clearly didn't care about what the fans wanted to see and just made an action movie for general audiences.

Though I agree with your reasoning about the non explanation of Worf's return.

lazyjay

[23]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 30
    Batfreak99 wrote:
    ... care about what the fans wanted to see and just made an action movie for general audiences.

That's the dilemma when trying to take a genre show from the niche audience to the mainstream. Right hand says "make the fans happy", left hand says "make more money". Sadly, left hand usually wins this argument.

Batfreak99

[24]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 2

lazyjay wrote:
    Batfreak99 wrote:
    ... care about what the fans wanted to see and just made an action movie for general audiences.
    That's the dilemma when trying to take a genre show from the niche audience to the mainstream. Right hand says "make the fans happy", left hand says "make more money". Sadly, left hand usually wins this argument.

Very true.

I'd normally be understanding of this kind of thing but with so many continuity errors and outright disregard for things we'd previously seen I have a hard time forgiving Nemesis.

Examples :

Cadet Picard being bald when we know he had hair from ''Tapestry''

ANOTHER Soong android magically appearing despite what we'd been told about Dr. Soong's past in previous episodes

The afrorementioned Worf return with no explanation or regard for his last DS9 appearance

No explanation (on screen) for why Wesley was back in Starfleet

The Federation and Romulans being enemies/strangers despite their alliance against The Dominion

Data's emotion chip nowhere to be seen or heard about

Shinzon. Period.

The Remans. Okay, Remus was mentioned a few times, but where the heck have these guys been all this time?

There's probably more I'm forgetting about but I'm ranting

TimDrakeRobin

[25]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 26
    Batfreak99 wrote:
    ANOTHER Soong android magically appearing despite what we'd been told about Dr. Soong's past in previous episodes

Shinzon. Period.

The Remans. Okay, Remus was mentioned a few times, but where the heck have these guys been all this time?

B4 wasn't a real Soong android, but a Romulan created one to use against Picard.

Yep, the young son story arc was done on TNG. No offense to the actor, but I couldn't not stare at his crooked teeth. I'm distracted every time he is on screen.

Remans were enslaved underneath their planet's surface unable to leave, that's where they were

amarulucky

[26]Nov 30, 2010
    • level: 3
    Dirk13 wrote:
    The DS9 series "mucked things up"? I dunno, i;d take anything that happened on DS9 as more cannonized than the most recent Star Trek Movie (Nemesis).

I read in the book "Star Trek 101" that what is considered cannonical, is basically, anything that is on film with actual people, so not including the animated series, the books, and I doubt that very cheap and crappy continuation of the original series (TAS I think it is), of course that book was made before the latest Star Trek movie, which I thought was good on most things, but as a Star Trek fan, not just someone who likes any action movie, I have some grievences, and my biggest problem with that movie, is that it would have completely changed everything that happened since it, (TNG, Voyage, DS9), I thought the movie would have been a lot better if somehow they stopped Nero from traveling through time in the first place, or something that would have perserved the timeline. One of the things that made the earlier Star Trek stuff so good, was that it was so grounded in plausible science; they even brounght in actual scientists to keep it plausible. I hope the next movie in 2011 or 2012, which ever, is better than the last one. The problems with the story lines aren't just with the movies, when the Enterprise series was created they had an episode with the Ferengi "Acquisition", and one with the Borg "Regeneration", yet in TNG they both were completely unheard of.

scifinut99

[27]Dec 1, 2010
    • level: 15

the tv series, movies and tas are cannon

books are not except for the 11 novelations of the movies and a few episodes turned into novelations

Edited on 12/01/2010 7:27pm