Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Heart of Stone

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Feb 06, 1995 on Syndicado

7.9
  • Sequel to "The Search" has okay A story, surprisingly important B story

The premise here is a sci fi metaphor. It's based on an idea in the book and film "Sometimes a Great Notion", where a character gets his foot caught under a log in a river with the water on the rise. Another variation of the same idea is somebody getting his foot trapped in a railway track, with a train whistle sounding off in the distance. In each instance, the idea works on a basic dramatic level because it puts life and death on the line with a countdown to doom. The thing is, it's one of those cases where the natural ideas are better than science fiction adaptations because we can better identify and empathize with the earth-bound situations, watching them with a vicarious horror. For this budget saving episode of Deep Space Nine, however, the story had to be shot in a studio, and so an expanding man-eating crystal formation is used, because it can fit inside the cave set. It looks hokey and doesn't get the point across nearly as well as a rising body of water.

Whatever the case, the story (like an elevator episode) opens the door for rich character interplay, and that's the whole point here: it's an Odo episode designed to get his feelings out in the open before the story earns its Shakespearean inspired title with its unexpected climax.

Surprisingly, the episode is just as noteworthy for its B story, which begins like comedic filler but turns into something more. In a turning point for the character, Nog develops an interest in Starfleet. Aron Eisenberg, clearly excited about Nog's new ambition, throws himself into the part and his enthusiasm makes it hard not to root for the character. With Avery Brooks's help, he turns what could have been a forgettable subplot into something more substantial for the writers to build on.

The episode serves as a sequel of sorts to the third season's two part opener "The Search", and viewers will need to have seen that to understand the ending of this.
  • Unlike the two lead characters, this episode was solid (get it???? Wow, that was lame).

This episode opens with Kira and Odo on their way back to DS9, but their return is delayed when they come upon a Maquis outlaw and end up chasing him onto a moon where Kira becomes stuck in some kind of crystaline formation. Due to interference (or some other kind of Trek plot device), they are unable to call for help or beam Kira out. Odo vows to stay with Kira to the end, and the two of them are seemingly forced to come to terms with their feelings for one another. Meanwhile, back on the ol' space station, Nog asks Sisko to give him a recommendation so he can get into starfleet academy.

This was a pretty good episode for character development. Trek has definitely seen more action-packed episodes, but when well-written and well-acted, this kind of episode can have a great deal more impact. Nana Visitor and Rene Auberjonois both give fine performances, hitting the right emotional notes without going overboard. It's been a long-while since I've watched this series in it's proper sequence so I could be wrong about this, but I believe this might be the first time it is revealed to the audience that Odo is in love with Kira.

The Nog storyline is less engaging, but is still far from awful. It also proves to be an important change in direction for the character and signals where he will be headed throughout the rest of his stint on the series.

The twist at the end came as a surprise to me, but maybe others saw it coming. It was certainly better than the lame "twist for the sake of a twist" ending to the movie "The Village."

Overall, a pretty enjoyable character-driven story. And if I might make one last lame Odo joke: solid.
  • Pivotal.

In retrospect, I didn't like this one as much as the first time I saw it. Maybe that's just because I know how it turns out - we get plenty of Odo pining for Kira over the next few seasons, but before this we'd had just a few hints.

That said, the sequence between Odo and Kira really is emotionally moving, particularly toward the end when Odo blurts out his true feelings. The twist makes sense of it all, and the return to the station sets the tone for the Kira-Odo relationship going forward.

The Nog sequence I initially interpreted as amusing filler, but the second time around it actually spoke to me more than the Odo-Kira plot. There are plenty of hilarious sequences (the bribe!), but just like Odo, the pivotal point comes at the moment of agonized confession.

Worth watching.