Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Image in the Sand (2)

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Sep 30, 1998 on Syndicado

• Interesting episode (the bits with Sisko in particular), but I really don't like this Ezri character.

Okay, so we really don't get much time to meet Ezri, but already I am annoyed. Jadzia was my favorite in the cast, and I am bummed that they replaced her with someone so whiny, and to put it bluntly, so unworthy.

I did enjoy the parts with Sisko searching for answers; the mystery is very intriguing. I am very curious about the woman he sees in his visions.

It seems like it will be a decent season, if the early indications stay true. Avery Brooks' acting is much improved from earlier seasons, something that really has me happy. For a long time, I really couldn't stand his character at all!
  • A successful successful start. More of a character development and situation builder episode.

A decent start to the final season that draws upon several average but necessary subplots. These are: the growing Pah-Wraith movement, Worf's reaction to the death of Jadzia, Kira's new role as Station Commander and Sisko's quest to reconnect with the Prophets. Which means this is more of a dialogue and character development/situation building episode. As a result none of the above are very substantial on its own. Yet together they form a cohesive story which provides a balance of drawing on the roots of the last season, setting the seeds for forthcoming events and entertaining us. Not an easy thing to do.
    In these objectives it succeeds, even if it never reaches the lofty heights of a 10.

Though the screenplay for each is lean and to the point. Which is a good thing - as nothing is dwelt upon, thus providing a decent fast-pace to the unfolding events. Add to this, the constant changing nature of the locations, from the Station, to the Defiant, to Sisko Sr's restaurant, Worf quarters, the holodeck, etc... which reinforces the snappy overall feel.

Despite the obvious issues with the removal of Terry Farrell, Im sure Im one of the few who liked the introduction of Ezri, and her character arc. Shame it had to be at Jadzia's expense.

A good start and does what it needs to do, to get the final season off the mark.