Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Inquisition

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Apr 08, 1998 on Syndicado

• Prequel to "In the Pale Moonlight"

Much has been made of "In The Pale Moonlight" and its pulling of the veil from Gene Roddenberry's idealistic future. Virtually nothing has been said about this episode, which aired one week before and grappled with the same themes. "Inquisition" is not really an alternate reality episode, but it is one where the reality is much more horrifying than that which is experienced by Dr. Julian Bashir, Chief Medical Officer, Deep Space Nine.

The story, so much as can be told, occurs when the staff of DS9 (less Sisko, perhaps because of his unquestioned integrity? This was pre-"Moonlight) is interrogated. Someone has been passing information to the Dominion, and before long, Deputy Director Sloane (played to menacing perfection by William Sadler) sets his sights on Bashir. Sloane's theory: that Bashir was broken by the Dominion during the events preceding "In Purgatory's Shadow" and made to serve them thanks to his logical sense and desire to save lives. It seems implausible, but then again, this is the man who wanted to surrender to the Dominion in "Statistical Probabilities." That incident, plus many others, are woven together to form a plausible conspiracy that even makes the audience believe.

Why do I like this episode so much? For one thing, I love mysteries where everything rests on one insignificant clue. Also, it introduces Section 31, the shadow organization that acts like the CIA before the Church Committee, only they happen to be zealots instead of pragmatists. It also contains a message for our present-day situation, where secret organizations sap our rights and destroy our values every day without any seeming outroar--in order to end these things, a person has to stand up.