Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Invasive Procedures

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Oct 17, 1993 on Syndicado

7.6
  • Dax sure adapts to her new host quickly

The driving force behind the plot of this episode is the antogonist's wish to become something more than mediocre. Unfortunately, the episode doesn't seem to share the same ambition. The story has an interesting premise, but it coasts on it in such a "connect the dots" way, it's easy to guess what was said at the writers' meetings. "How about we have someone try to steal Dax's symbiont?" "Okay, he'll have to take over the station to do that. How do we make it plausible?" "How will he get Bashir to cooperate, and how do we make it personal and develop the relationships?" The episode answers these questions just fine and doesn't do anything wrong (although I do have to wonder just how weak-willed Dax is when the trill does nothing to stop its new host from carrying out his plan) but the story lacks the dash of creativity it needs to give it a spark of excitement. (Actually, an internal struggle between Dax and the trill's new host might be a welcome Devoid of any surprises, the episode is what it is: harmless, average, and forgettable.