Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

It's Only a Paper Moon

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Dec 30, 1998 on Syndicado

• A follow-up on Nog\'s injury during the Siege of AR-558, Nog moves in with Vic Fontaine on the holodeck.

I can\'t say with any stronger conviction that I loved this episode. I would definitely put this in my top ten list of episodes from Deep Space Nine.

The writing team really took the character of Nog to a higher plateau by showing us the difficult psychological healing process after the injury he sustained while defending the captured Dominion communications array.

I already loved the character of Vic Fontaine prior to this episode, and his providing Nog with a crutch to get over his injury and return to his duties as a Starfleet officer was golden.

Really having a chance to get into the heart of Nog in the final third of the episode to find out why he was reluctant to leave the holodeck was a touching moment and one that brought a tear to my eye.

Allow me to share my favorite scene in the entire episode, Nog\'s monologue describing how he feels about returning to duty.

\"I saw a lot of people get hurt... I saw a lot of people die... but I never thought anything was going to happen to me. Then suddenly Doctor Bashir is telling me he has to cut my leg off. I couldn\'t believe it. I still can\'t believe it. If I can get shot... if I can lose a leg... anything could happen to me, Vic. I could die tomorrow.\"

The emotion with which Aron delivered that line was gut-wrenching. Serving as a strong parallel to all soldiers in the service of their country there is nobody who, even in the bottom of their hearts, has not felt this way. Seeing death up close and personal, especially losing ones you are close with, can never be easy.

If you\'re a fan of DS9 and you haven\'t seen this episode yet, make it a point to do so whatever way you can, you won\'t be disappointed.
  • Outstanding follow up to Nog's injury.

"Time heals all wounds, right?" - Ezri Dax

What an excellent episode. It's a great follow up to 'The Siege of AR-558'. Nog has always been one of my favorite recurring characters. Even though I swear he gets more screen time than some of the regulars.

The relationship between Vic and Nog is excellent. Jazz is a big part of my life, and I think this might be exactly the same thing I would do if I had had my leg blown off. Vic's parting conversation with Nog was some powerful writing.

Character studies are usually my favorite, and this will always be a series classic in my opinion.

"Computer, end program" - Vic Fontaine
  • This episode mainly takes place on the holo-deck, but still is an above average episode. It deals with alot of mental issues, but was worth watching.

This episode is in between a few more action packed ones and fits nicely into the story line with Nog. I recommend watching Star Trek and this episode.