Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Little Green Men

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Nov 13, 1995 on Syndicado

• Nice to have the Roswell mystery cleared up at last.

"All I ask is a tall ship and a load of contraband to fill her Quark

This Ferengi comedy with Quark, Rom, and Nog is an homage to the old B sci fi invasion movies and doesn't take itself seriously. (It even parodies Star Trek itself with Rom spitting out some hilarious technobabble to explain how he's going to force the ship out of warp. Quark's response? " I have no idea what you're talking about! Just do it!") With its one joke concept, the lack of a B story, and a forgone conclusion, the episode needs ample padding; it has a drawn-out, convoluted introduction and brings back the "malfunctioning universal translator" delay tactic (previously used in second season's "Sanctuary") to keep things from moving too quickly. The comedy, however, masks these storytelling flaws and turns what could be tedious into an enjoyable little character piece. Meanwhile, the 1940s look provides a nice change of pace for Star Trek, with it especially fun to see the outrageous looking Ferengi among the regular folks and settings of the past. Unfortunately, the episode's budget limits most of the action to a single room, limiting the plot's possibilities and eliminating any hope of a Star Trek IV parody. (I guess we'll never see Quark on the run looking for Nuclear wessels).

Charles Napier guest stars as Lieutenant General Denning and, with his square jaw and no nonsense cadence, is perfect for the part. It's hard to believe that the last time he guest starred on Star Trek, he was a singing space hippie in "The Way to Eden".
  • One of my favourite episodes. Quark, Rom and Nog as the Roswell aliens. WARNING: taking this episode seriously is NOT a good idea :D

The whole episode is concentrated on out three favourite Ferengi and yes, Nog and Rom finally get some well deserved screen time. The subplot is practically non-existent and that’s even good.

For me, the whole episode is a parody of the movies and TV series portraying good aliens thought to be evil Martians coming to take over. We’ve got the trigger-happy Bad Military Guys, that are convinced that our ‘visitors’ came to conquer the planet, we’ve got an open minded scientist and a tender, loving nurse who, of course, if the scientist’s girl.

If you start to take it seriously, well… the plot holes have the size of a watermelon and if it was a regular DS9 episode, it would make it unwatchable but here? Why not! All for the fun! Won’t describe all the cliché gags used here but they are actually funny. Sure, there is some drama but it fits greatly into the plot and, on contrary to some other episodes, doesn’t try to ‘take over’ (like the evil aliens would)

This is a fine example that, while DS9 is the darkest of the whole Star Trek spin-offs, it’s also capable of creating episodes that are pure fun.
  • A goofy but very entertaining episode: Quark, Nog and Rom travel back to 1947 Earth.

The strength of DS9 as a series, at least up until this point, was that despite being relatively "dark" and "serious", it included a lot of good humorous/fun episodes. And this is one of the best.

The plot: while taking Nog to Earth in order to enroll him in Starfleet Academy, Quark and Rom's ship enters some sort of time warp and brings them to 1947 Earth. The Americans who discover their ship (err... "weather balloon") at Roswell want to figure out what these "Martians" want.

At this point the plot becomes a silly but very enjoyable parody of "it came from outer space" sci fi. Quark naturally thinks he can build a financial empire by selling advanced technology to the American military. During an interrogation by the military, Rom completely cracks (crying for his mom) but Nog shows some very un-Ferengi-like cojones in making up an outlandish story about a joint Ferengi/Klingon invasion fleet.

I should add that the bit in the teaser with Worf sharpening his teeth is hysterical.

The episode wraps up somewhat abruptly (and I wasn't sure Odo's appearance added very much), but overall a very enjoyable 45 minutes. Just don't try to take it too seriously.
  • This episode has time travel and shape-shiftng, but suffers from cliche and irrationality.

7.2
    I love time traveling episodes, but this one is a little weaker than most. Quark, Rom, and Nog are funny in this one, and contrast with the 1947 humans well. The problem I had with it is the characterization of the people of Earth and the way they interact with what they call "Martians." It seems to me they would have had them strapped down and/or isolated.

This episode also brings up the question of how the universal translators work, as many episodes do. Once they are working in the Ferengi, their words get translated into English for the Humans? How does that happen if the Humans don't have translators themselves?

That aside, it was an entertaing sojourn to the cold war era U.S. by future "embasadors" of the Ferengi Empire....