Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Little Green Men

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Nov 13, 1995 on Syndicado

• Nice to have the Roswell mystery cleared up at last.

"All I ask is a tall ship and a load of contraband to fill her Quark

This Ferengi comedy with Quark, Rom, and Nog is an homage to the old B sci fi invasion movies and doesn't take itself seriously. (It even parodies Star Trek itself with Rom spitting out some hilarious technobabble to explain how he's going to force the ship out of warp. Quark's response? " I have no idea what you're talking about! Just do it!") With its one joke concept, the lack of a B story, and a forgone conclusion, the episode needs ample padding; it has a drawn-out, convoluted introduction and brings back the "malfunctioning universal translator" delay tactic (previously used in second season's "Sanctuary") to keep things from moving too quickly. The comedy, however, masks these storytelling flaws and turns what could be tedious into an enjoyable little character piece. Meanwhile, the 1940s look provides a nice change of pace for Star Trek, with it especially fun to see the outrageous looking Ferengi among the regular folks and settings of the past. Unfortunately, the episode's budget limits most of the action to a single room, limiting the plot's possibilities and eliminating any hope of a Star Trek IV parody. (I guess we'll never see Quark on the run looking for Nuclear wessels).

Charles Napier guest stars as Lieutenant General Denning and, with his square jaw and no nonsense cadence, is perfect for the part. It's hard to believe that the last time he guest starred on Star Trek, he was a singing space hippie in "The Way to Eden".