Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Profit and Loss

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Mar 20, 1994 on Syndicado

7.7
  • Not great, but enough good parts to make it worthwhile.

Yeah, the romantic dialogue is a little cheesy. But otherwise, this episode has enough moments to make it worthwhile for the viewer. It certainly is far, far from the light fluff of "Melora" or "Shadowplay".

Every moment in which Garak occupies the screen is worth watching here; the combination of Andy Robinson's acting and some fantastic lines fed to him by the writers almost make us forget the episode's weakness. The dialogue about fashion, both clothing and politics, with Quark is particularly well-executed.

One of the other reviewers criticizes Quark's portrayal as out-of-character, but I don't think so - in later seasons, we would routinely see such "slips" as the guy reveals that profit isn't the ONLY thing he cares about.

Really, the romantic dialogue is the only turn off here. (Yeah, the dissidents are pretty thin gruel, but they are little more than a plot device.) By the time of the dramatic and exciting conclusion, it's all long forgotten as Garak, like Quark, reveals he has a soul.