Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Syndicado (ended 1999)

beowulf579

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Fan Reviews page 2 of 4

• My favourite Star Trek series

I've loved all the star trek shows but regard this one to be my favourite. The setting on the space station allowed much more focus on the characters and planets close by, which i think enhanced the show. It also enabled more plots to flow over many episodes. Then with the addition of the defiant (my favourite ship) only served to increase the shows appeal.

I have only two gripes with the show, one is vic fontaine (sp?) who I didn't like at all and think the show could have done without. and the final season just didn't feel right. I think the show should have continued and half of the last season have not happened.
  • During the 24th century, an eclectic mix of Federation, Bajoran, and Ferengi crew interact with themselves and others at a former Cardassian space station, in an epic and edgy take on the Star Trek universe. A definite "must see".

As a long time Star Trek fan, I followed along as Deep Space Nine (DS9) came to fruition near the last year and a half of the hugely popular and successful successor to the original Star Trek (TOS) - Star Trek: The Next Generation (TNG). The premise of this show was to provide a contrast to its earlier 24th century counterpart, by having the show take place on a fixed space station rather than a ship, and include both Federation and non-Federation personnel in the operation of the station. Basically, the time would be concurrent to TNG, but with a near polar-opposite environment, set of circumstances, and potential for alien interactions. I.e., one that allowed for delving into the darker side of humanity via a new collection of analogies and metaphors, where the location forced a focus on interesting characters and their idiosyncracies rather than interesting places and the wonders of the universe. In addition, as the series progressed, it left the traditional Star Trek "episodic" format behind and decided to go with a "serial" format through a series of mini-arcs. This then allowed for fuller character development and story resolution.

The early seasons were rough around the edges as the show struggled to define itself in the era of the '90s through a different message than that of its predecessor. But once it settled down around the 4th season and looked to the core of what made the original series popular, the show's writing took off, making this series arguably the most sophisticated and true-to-the-original for showcasing the human existence through analogy, as any Trek series since the original. Ironically, this would be the first Star Trek series to air without the original Star Trek creator, Gene Roddenberry, alive to see it premiere.

At the time of its original run, another popular sci fi series, "Babylon 5", was on the air, and many comparisons were and still are made between the two. By allowing Ira Behr to be Executive Producer in charge of the writing room during the latter half of the series and leaving him be, the viewer was treated to the development of some remarkable arcs that grace the 5th - 7th seasons of the show. Many episodes had uncanny futurist plots that would eventually be mirrored in our current society. Even when rewatching episodes shot almost 10 years ago, the show has yet to date itself like its predecessors.

But sadly this show also generated much controversy during its run, as it premiered during the time of the coming of age of a new generation of young adult viewers who demanded more "realism" and a darker look at life in general that better reflected their own perceptions of the times in which they lived. Although this was the natural goal of the series, it served to splinter the fandom, as many rejected what they felt was a less-than-hopeful look at humanity's future. To add fuel to the fire, the show was moved around from day to day and time to time and would eventually cross networks once a new parent network, UPN, was born (RIP or perhaps good riddance!). Thus it was often difficult to keep up with when and where it would air, prompting many fans to dub it the "stepchild" Star Trek series, as only the most dedicated managed to keep track of each move.

Still, it was a moderate success in the ratings department, and set the stage for two more Star Trek series, one of which, Star Trek: Voyager (VOY), airing concurrently from 1995 through to DS9's conclusion in 1999.

IMHO, DS9 represents the closest to the intent of the original series, albeit, in a more sophisticated and complex way. For those who have pooh-poohed or avoided the Star Trek franchise in favor of what they consider "grittier" science fiction shows, you may well be pleasantly surprised by DS9. The only thing keeping it from being a perfect 10 is its weaker early seasons. But its strong later seasons more than compensate, making it a "must see".
  • The most under appreciated sci-fi show on television.

How does one follow up the eternally loved Star Trek: The Next Generation? With something completely new. Rather than going where no one has gone before, Deep Space Nine is more stationary than that stain on my jeans. Deep Space Nine waits for outer space to come to the station.

The character development in this show was beyond anything that Sci-Fi had ever seen. It was under appreciated because it was slow to develop, but in the defense of the show, all sci-fi is slow to develop. Now, I would recommend this for anyone to go back and watch on DVD.
  • Deep Space Nine is not as straight-forward as previous Star Trek's, and that causes confusion among the simple-minded.

What makes Deep Space Nine so 'absolutely fabulous' is the amazing and believable cast of characters. The way they are shaped, and the way the evolve during the course of the series, is outstandingly realistic. The actors and actresses are all doing an amazing job portraying their respective character, giving them all a life spark of their own.

What made Deep Space Nine one of the less successful in the series, I believe that in contrary to what the other shows have been, there is no black or white. It's all grey. You are given the opportunity to understand even the so-called "bad guys", and suddenly you are not capable of hating them any more. Even the federation is seen in a light that makes the viewer understand that they are not such flawless goody-two-shoes that you are led to believe in the other series. Everything is grey, everything is relative, and everything is understandable. I think that is what makes many of the old fans become confused when they are not capable of feeling empathy and come to understand all the various characters that are featured in this amazing show.

Deep Space Nine remains the most in-depth, realistic, and gripping show of all Star Trek before and after its emergence. Never before have I seen such an amazing collection of wonderfully talanted actors/actresses doing such a great job of delivering believable characters, and never before have I been so fascinated and interested in the main plot of a Star Trek-series.

This is the way Star Trek should have been.
  • Possibly the best Star Trek series.

Deep Space 9 is a series that got better with time and finished exceptionally strong. I usually rate the series as follows:

9.6 DS 9

Picard
    Kirk
    Janeway
    Archer

Though I liked Picard, Id have to choose Sisko as the overall strongest captain; mainly because he grew the most and turned into one hard nosed leader and seemed more like a regular guy who did extraordinary things - plus he liked baseball. Kirk as always is a sentimental favorite but he was prone to overacting.

Adding Worf to the cast one one of those positive turning points as was the Dominion War that made the series the best. Giving Sisko the Defiant was a positive step as it gave Sisko something more to command than a fixed space station. Some argue DS9 was too dark and didnt reflect Genes utopian outlook for the future, but if you really look at the original series, it was anything but utopian. DS9 was definitely grittier, but it gave it a edge that I liked.
  • Out of all six Treks, this one had everything a person could look for in a quality show.

Few shows manage to have good writing, characters, and casting. Chemistry between the cast that makes their relationships seem genuine through all of their struggles is even harder to find. Fortunately, Deep Space Nine had it all.

The story arcs were solid from begining to end. The characters grew and changed as the seasons progressed, and the more the changed, the more we knew them and loved them. Not only were the main cast members wonderful, the recurring characters made the stories even better.

This show managed to delve into every aspect of humanity, even though some of the people weren't even human. Religion, trust, betrayal, marriage, birth, life, death, and so many more topics were the focus of this show. The depths of humanity were explored in the relationship between Cardassia and Bajor, which in many ways paralleled the treatment of the Jews during the Nazi rule of Germany. Timely issues, the hallmark of Star Trek, such as genetic engineeering, racism, and homosexuality were explored in ways that everyone could look at without being offended.

From begining to end, we experienced the lives of not just the characters, but of two quadrants. In no other show and on no other Star Trek can such an appealing array of issues, characters, and stories be found. And in the end, although the story threads come to a close, there is still a feeling that the story is not complete, but continuing.
  • The dark side of Star Trek

Star Trek takes a dark turn with Deep Space Nine, but at its heart, the spirit and message of Star Trek is still there. As Ira Behr said, Deep Space Nine got rid of the future as being a happy place but showed that it also had its problems as well. This dark side of Trek would be used in the later series of Voyager and Enterprise. It changed the way we look at Trek but the message of the future stayed true. With everything going wrong, Sisko still had his son Jake and O'Brien had his family. That may be the message that DS9 told, that family is the anchor that holds down the ship during the storms
  • Deep Space Nine like all Star Trek had interactions with aliens as well as internal conlifts abord the station, but it was also really different from all other Star Trek. It managed to create a show that was exciting but also really unique.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was an amazing show. When I first heard of the show, it didn't seem very appealing because I thought "hey they're on a space station, they don't go anywhere. that has got to be boring". Now that I've seen all but a few episodes, Deep Space Nine is by far my favorite of all Star Trek series. Deep Space Nine was unique. It was exciting. It wasn't just another captain on a space ship exploring just another bit of space. Deep Space Nine had so many characters and the characters were so well developed. Deep Space Nine managed to find adventure, comedy, romance, thriller. It managed to make even the "bad guys" likeable. It managed to make even the non-regular characters three-dimensional. Deep Space Nine is mature and developed. There are so many details in it that are so remarkable the the writers woudl think to add. Deep Space Nine for once wasn't just the original series recycled.
  • the best Star Trek, in my opinion...

Deep Space Nine is my favorite Star Trek. It has great characters and pretty good actors. Sisco is an amazing character and he is so interesting and the actor did a great job playing him. Otto, O'Brian, and Quark are great characters also. The whole story line is very interesting also. I especially liked the last season when they were battling the Dominion. The villian changlings were a very sofisticated, interesting bad guys. Also, the bajourins (excuse my spelling) were interesting people and the whole prophet story line was great. Overall, Deep Space Nine has the best character, best story lines, and the best execution of any of the Star Treks.
  • 1 of 6

Star Trek: Deep Space 9 is my personal favorite of the 6 ST franchises. The main reason is all of the alien interaction, and the political overtones. That is what maid this show so dynamic. In compareson it just seems like the other 5 were just floating though space. Pardon the pun, but this series just seemed more grounded.

Plus the show had Avery Brooks, the tough, no BS, Captain of the station. Captain Sisko was by far the most no nonsence captain of the franchise, yet he was always fair and even handed.

Don't get me wrong I like all the Star Treks except the animated one. I just think ST: DS9 is the strongest of the bunch.
  • Truly a great spin off.

I was in Iraq for a year, and while I was there I realized that all the new machines of war serve an ulterior purpose...War is Boring. (not really, but I did have a lot of sack time, more than I needed...) So there I was and the greatest thing about Iraq is the Hajis set up little markets that sell anything from "Rolexes" to Model Airplanes, to Pirated DVDs. I was looking around one market when I found this gem in the rough, Deep Space Nine the Entire series for $30! Of course it's poorly copied and the box set is a photoshop graphic, but what counts is the content.
    I loved Deep Space nine back when I was a kid and it came out every week. Now it's the one Star Trek Spin Off (post TNG, I look at TNG as the Best of the Series)that I like at all let alone love.
    Such a great show I never thought I'd enjoy it as much as I do.
  • On the edge of the final frontier.

The best of the Trek franchise. Deep Space Nine was bold and daring, and went against almost all of the established rules of Star Trek and was all the better for it. From its cast of characters, the space station setting, the relgious and political issues, and of course the Dominion War, Deep Space Nine stood apart from every other Trek show in that it constantly kept trying new and different things, without ever apologizing for it. Its the only Star Trek show that you can actually see the characters evolve and grow as people over the course of the series, and for those that complained early on that there wasn't enough action, they should have stuck around and enjoyed the amazing space battles in the last few seasons. Forget the prequel Trek movie that Paramount wants to "relaunch" the franchise, they should instead focus on making Trek as original and well written as Deep Space Nine.
  • The ST that dared to be different!

You want to know why Sci Fi on TV today is so good these days? Its because these shows are either influenced by or written by the 176 epic series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. DS9 is the ST that dared to be different. There's no doubt in my mind Gene Roddenberry would of hated it. Plot arcs, flawed characters, shades of grey, corrupt Federation, WAR!!! This show was such a step up from the safe and happy confines of Picard and crew on the Enterprise. And that is why I can understand people not liking it. That and Avery Brooks' totally mad acting style. Occasionally he was superbly Shakespearean other times he was wooden and OTT. He is far from the best actor ST has had but he did a good job most of the time and is incredibly watchable. Most of the rest of the cast is perfect, there are simply too many names to mention, there were so many great characters. The writing especially from the third season onwards was superb, a shining example for any writer. The show was flawed and would of been much better with less episodes in a season and more focus on its arcs but what we have here is a near perfect Sci Fi epic that is guranteed to become any Sci Fi fans new favourite show.
  • What happens when a Star Fleet Commander is sent to an ex-Cardassian space station in Bajoran territory to help bring the Bajorans into the Federation? And to complicate things, he is considered to be the Emissary to the Bajorans.

This is the best written series in the Star Trek universe. First, the interaction between Ben Sisko and his son Jake is awesome. This is clearly a dad that loves his son with all of his being. Second, Ben Sisko deals with being the Emissary to the Bajoran people which, in the beginning, he is very uncomfortable with. Third, his best friend is a Trill that comes back as Jadzia Dax instead of the "old man" he remembered as Kirzon Dax. But it is still Dax. Fourth, Chief O'Brien made a masterful transition from the Enterprise to DS9 and now has more of a major role in the story. Fifth, Kira Nerys is awesome as the Bajoran who fought in the resistance against the Cardassians earlier. Her story is great all by itself. Sixth, Dr. Bashir is a genetically enhanced human that keeps his secret for about half of the series and his contribution to the show is invaluable. Seventh, Constable Odo, as he is known among friends, is not only dealing with existing as a changeling among solids, his people end up being the main protagonists in the whole story. Eighth, Worf comes to join the space staion in the fourth season and wow, that was a stroke of genius. And finally, Ninth, Quark and the rest of the Ferengi show a more in depth look into Ferengi society than was previously touched upon in "The Next Generation." With the additional characters and side stories, this has to be the most entertaining and best put together Star Trek series ever. This is great Federation entertainment at its best. 5 stars baby!
  • An excellent show -- recommended for those who appreciate challenging, intelligent, and character-driven science fiction. However, more casual viewers may find the lengthy arcs and extensive character development unappealing.

My favorite fiction -- science or not -- is about telling a good story, creating characters that resonate and reflecting the human condition. A show may be set centuries in the future, but what matters is what it tells us about the present. And Deep Space 9 did a great job with that.

This show is unlikely to be popular with those who prefer their sci-fi or to portray a utopian paradise, to be about space exploration, to feature a weird alien-of-the-week and fancy pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo, or to have an obvious and unambiguous moral lesson. That's probably why you occasionally read unfavorable comparisons to the Next Generation. And unlike TNG, it's difficult to watch DS9 on a casual basis -- miss just a few episodes and you could be lost.

That said, the strengths of DS9 draw upon the same characteristics present in the TNG episodes rated most highly on this website. If you like "The Inner Light", "The Pegasus", "Darmok", "Lower Decks", "Chain of Command", "Reunion", and "The Defector", there's a good chance DS9 will be right up your alley. This show pushes and challenges its viewers. And despite the (probably well-deserved) reputation this series has for being "darker" than other Trek series, it usually did a better job than TNG of pulling off humorous episodes.

This review is already getting pretty long, but I should mention both the structure of the show and the cast of characters.

As far as the structure -- much like TNG, this series took a while to get going. While the 1st and 2nd seasons are superior to their TNG counterparts (the benefit of experience), the minus is that unlike TNG the incremental nature of DS9 makes it more difficult to skip weak episodes. You almost have to grind it through the chaff in order to get to the good stuff. The show picks up the pace for the last ten or so season 2 episodes and only improves from that point onward. If you get into the show, as I did, in the 2nd or 3rd season, you will find it hard to believe that the show gets even better. But it does; the 6th and 7th season pack quite a wallop and the series ends much as it lived -- on a bittersweet note.

The cast is an integral part of the series' success. Besides the 8 or 9 regulars, there is a superb set of recurring characters, many of whom play an integral role in the series. I'd single out Andrew Robinson (Garak) and Marc Alaimo (Gul Dukat) for particularly outstanding performances.

As far as the regulars, I know many people thought the addition of Worf to have "turned the series around". His arrival at the beginning of season 4 was slightly awkward and it took a season or two for his character to become well-integrated into the series. (Which is the way real life works.) The departure of Terry Farrell at the end of season 6 was a loss, but I think Nicole DeBoer did a sufficiently strong job that the show didn't suffer too much. And hats off to Colm Meaney and Nana Visitor -- they were really great throughout the series.

So to wrap this lengthy review up -- if you like really good, addictive science fiction, check this show out. Grit your way through the first season and a half and you'll be in for one ---- of a ride.
  • This was a good solid show...

You know why I liked this show??? Because unlike the other Star Trek series, DS9 showed alot of what everyday life was like. It was not always a new mission or a new planet or a new alien species to communicate with. This show had evryday routine repairs. It had everyday routine convesations between characters. There was even a "Constable" (Odo). Whom I liked as a charater and have to agree with him that Major Kyra was pretty hot. (Laugh)
    I did not always like the commander but did like O'Brien he was a good character. I also like the ship based there later the "Defiant". It was a pretty cool little ship. Overall this was a solid show. Not Great, but good. Good enough to say I liked it.
  • One good show.

Perhaps the most overlooked series of Star Trek has to be Deep Space Nine. In my opinion, DS9 had some of the best storylines, writing, and acting of any of the Star Trek genres. I think it also helped that it had some very good actors/actresses as well as some spectacular writers. Avery Brooks was my favorite actor on the show, but everyone else deserves their fair share of complements. They made the show compelling and managed to get you hooked into their characters rather than the action and drama. Perhaps Deep Space Nine is not as well know as the other Star Trek series, but it certainly is just as good if not better.
    Thank You.
  • A great addition to the star trek universe.

The premise for this incarnation of star trek differs from the previous two - particularly in earlier episodes (before they introduce the USS Defiant) because it is set on an orbital space station and follows not only star fleet personel but also the many civilians from the planet below.

The premise works surprisingly well and is stagnant than one would imagine. This show is also the grittiest of the franchise and that really helps to keep you interested throughout but in particular during the dominion war.

It does however have it's drawbacks one of which being that most of the characters are just reworkings of familiar stereotypes and its not that we don't like them it is just that we have seen it before. that said the cast is good and the acting solid.

All in all a great star trek show and well worth a look.
  • I absolutely loved this show...

It's a shame that DS9 got canceled, because I really loved the show; granted I've only watched the shows while in reruns, but that doesn't mean that I don't like it.

One of the things I really like about this particular episode is that they finally killed off Kai Winn; I *really* disliked the woman. I'm not entirely sure why though; I think it's partly related to the fact that for someone in such a high position in the spiritual life, she doesn't have much faith... not the good kind, anyways.

As for Dukat, I'm kinda glad his suffering is finally at an end. The loss of his daughter really seemed to through him for a loop, despite Ziyal being an illegitimate child... he really seemed to love Ziyal anyways... so to him, the loss would be real.

I never really cared for the fact that they killed off Ziyal...

I do wish that they'd started Kassidy's pregnancy much earlier than what they did, as it would've been nice to see how that part of her life turned out... (and not just in the DS9 books).

Just means it leaves us to the imaginations, eh?
  • The second spinoff of the Star Trek franchise. A "spinoff of a spinoff", Star Trek TNG. Deep Space Nine is an abandoned space station at the edge of Federation space. it protects Bajor and a newly discovered wormhole.

Deep Space Nine begins as the end of the decades old Cardassian occupation of Bajor. The new Bajoran leadership asks the Federation for assistance in rebuilding their ravaged planet and government. They also have applied for membership in the Federation of Planets. Orbiting Bajor is a run down Cardassian sapce station, formerly called Terok Nor, now renamed Deep Space Nine. Starfleet appoints Commander Benjamin Sisco as head of the space station. He will also act as the Federation's representative in Bajoran space. Sisco has brought along his son, Jake, to live with him on the station. Sisco's second in command is Major Kira Naris of the Bajoran militia. Veteran actor Rene Aberjonois plays head of security Odo, a shapeshifter. Miles O'Brien transfers in from the Enterprise to take over as chief engineer. The chief medical officer is Julian Bashir, on his first deep space assignment. The science officer is an old friend of Benjamin Sisco's, his mentor for many years, Dax. Dax is a joined species called the Trill. On Deep Space Nine Dax is Jadzia Dax, a young feamle starfleet Lt. When Benjamin knew Dax previously, Dax was Kurzon, an old man. The Trill uses a humanoid host to house the symbiont. The symbionts are revered by the Trill and everything is done to ensure the symbionts' survival. On board there are several Ferengi, notably Quark, owner of the station's bar. Starting in season 4, my favorite Star Trek character joins the crew, Lt Commander Worf. Throughout the 7 seasons, the main nemesis for Sisco are the Cardassians and their envoy, Gul Dukat. The Cardassians still believe that they are entitled to rule Bajor and want control of the newly discovered wormhole, the only known stable wormhole know to exist. It is a gateway between the Alpha Quadrant and the Gamma Quadrant. In season three, the Dominion makes their presence known. The Dominion control the Gamma Quadrant with an iron fist and they have set their sights on the Alpha Quadrant. The Cardassians join the Dominion because they believe that they will be able to regain control of Bajor. But after a years of war they are defeated.

Bajor also has plans for Benjamin Sisco. They believe he is the Emissary. An all powerful being and prophet of Bajoran legend. Sisco is at first uncomfortable with the attention and title. But he eventually accepts it. During the series' final episodes, it is revealed that Sisco is indeed the Emissary and he ascends to a higher realm to fulfill his destiny as his family, friends and colleagues go on with their lives without their good friend and savior Benjamin Sisco .

One of my favorite Star Trek series. I really got into it when Michael Dorn joined the cast, reprising his role of Lt Commander Worf. His relationship with Jadzia was nice. He's an old fashioned guy and she a wild woman. But he finally gets her to settle down and marries her, only to lose her during the war with the Dominion. I liked the family aspect of this show too. Sisco has Jake and Quark has his nephew Nog. And the boys become best friends. Odo is an interesting character as well. He has no idea where he cam from. The the Dominion show up, and he's one of them. He's torn between his own kind and his family on DS9. He chooses DS9 and the Dominion is defeated. He does however decides to return to them, maybe he can influence them to the good.
  • Going further into Kira's past.

I generally tend to avoid mishaps in storytelling for the love of the art; I use my imagination to fill the gaps or correct errors by myself, because let's face it, perfect detail is not everything. However, I can't find any explanation for Gul Dukat not remembering Kira. Even though some two decades have passed, an adult tends to remember better, moreso if related to an assassination attempt. Plot-hole aside, I pretty much enjoyed the episode. The character development was solid, and it seems that Dukat really did try to be a soft villain, rather than an irritated one. If anything, the episode is worth watching just to hear Kira spit out "You're a collaborator". It gave me the goddamn chills !
  • Semi-entertaining, but slow and with about as little action as possible.

"The StoryTeller" doesn't feature any space warfare or action sequences (unless you count an awkward attempted stabbing). It's more of a tale of psychology; the two arcs both deal with a character facing a tough decision - Gina Phillips being the more attractive of the two (Sorry, Colm). While this is fine, aren't we forgetting something incredibly important ? The Kai - the most revered figure on Bajor - was killed last episode (sort of), presumably prompting a public relations disaster for the federation. Yet there's absolutely no mention of these events. What gives ? I was expecting this to dominate the storyline for several episodes.
  • Interesting show.

I watched Star Trek Deep Space Nine directly after Babylon 5, just to compare these 2 shows. There is no comparison, personally I prefer Babylon 5. It may be cheesier, but it fares way better with the characterisation and tight plots.

But ST DS9 has its high points. I prefer the first 3 seasons, it got too dark to my liking later on, although I loved the addition of Worf to the show. He is of much better use here than he ever was on TNG. And he and Jadzia Dax made a cute couple.

I liked that the show differed greatly from what we usually see on Star Trek. I think, this is the only Trek show that has its emphasis on its supporting characters. Garak and Quark are my favorite characters.
  • DS9 is by far the best of all the ST series, and one of the better SF series of all time. The only one I might rank higher is Babylon 5.(Followup Note: Add Dark Angel and Firefly to that list. The four are all exceptional)

Like all the successor Star Trek series, this one got off to a slow start. It really wasn't until season 3, and particularly season 4 (with the addition of Michael Dorn's Worf) to the cast, that it really took off and found its footing.

With Season 3 and 4, the series began to deviate much from the original "space communism" that was an essential part of Roddenberry's vision of the future. The support structures which make that system practical, where unlimited energy and material allow almost anyone to have anything (negating materialism to at least some extent) are not (and could not be) expected to be functional on a frontier outpost, which, in essence, is what DS9 really is. Thus, the notions of money and trade become relevant, as people jockey for access to limited resources. This inevitably leads to conflict, which, of course, is the essence of Drama.

In addition, the placement under Sisko's command of the warship Defiant, and the introduction of the Wormhole adversaries of the Dominion/Founders and their operatives the Jem'Hadar and the Voorta, allowed for a much wider range of stories and conflicts, as first the Klingons, then the Dominion, involved the Federation in wars which test its mettle and character. Plotlines involving combat and war certainly play a much more central role in this series than in the predecessor ST series.

DS9 also had a wider, more nonhuman range of its own different characters, with not just Humans, but also the Ferengi, Trill, Cardassians, Founders, Bajorans and Klingons playing central roles in the base cast, allowing not just individual character development but also development of alternate cultures/species and the characterization of the same. The writing also excelled after season 3, ranging from some very entertaining use of the holosuite concept (it became more than simply the venue for placing people in historical tales it was in ST:TNG to a place to hang out or enjoy physical activity), to experimental ones which used nonstandard storytelling techniques, such as that found in "In the Pale Moonlight" and "Far Beyond The Stars" and "Trials And Tribble-ations", which used time travel as a macguffin to set itself into the middle of a classic ST:TOS episode, much as the second "Back in Time" movie set much of its plot development within the events of the first.

The series is an excellent example of a simple but little-noticed fact -- Science Fiction essentially encompasses *all* forms of fiction -- there are no stories which cannot be recast, fairly easily, into a mildly or strongly SF context. The fact that SF is often associated with schlock and bad fiction is a fault of lazy writers and ignorantly complacent consumers, and indicates nothing of the true nature of SF. Hence, SF allows the greatest range of storytelling, allowing not just "what if" and "suppose" but "how" and "why". SF, with its characteristic fluidity, proffers no surprise to its watchers when a story is told using radically different techniques or situations, allowing radically different viewpoints or thoughts to be expressed than in mainstream series television.
  • Love it or hate it - the most radicaly different Trek

People love or hate DS9, and usually for the same reason. It is so much different then all the other Star Treks incarnations. I love it, for two main reasons. The characters, and the extendended storylines. Because the location was a stationary space station the characters who lived there stuck around, season after season. This ment minor characters became more and more developed untill they were actually on the show just as much (and sometimes more in the case of poor Jake Sisko) then the regulars. This huge number of characters opened up tons of storylines. And the extended storylines are great. Events build from one season to the next, untill the final two seasons become an epic serialized war drama. It would be hard to jump in uninitiated at that point but for people that have been invested the payoff was enormous.
  • After a slow start, the 3rd 'Star Trek' series picks up speed with the introduction of the Dominion in Season 2 and concludes with the best and longest arc in 'Star Trek,' the Dominion Wars.

I was introduced to 'Star Trek' by my dad when 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' was still airing. Then, when I was in 3rd grade, I remember watching the "special" premiere of 'Deep Space Nine.' At this time, I was too young to follow most of the more complex ideas it presented to me but I was able to enjoy it nonetheless.

During the run of the series I would randomly watch episodes but never get much continuity, especially once it moved to late nights. I also didn't really understand the idea of a series that would build on previous episodes (watched more stand-alone, episodic TV). Towards the end of the series I manged to catch many of the episodes and I was drawn into the on-going Dominion War plot.

During college, I was finally able to sit down and watch the series, beginning to end. I loved how they allowed characters to be "imperfect" and the challenging ideas that some of the episodes presented. A lot of 'Star Trek' fans didn't like this series because it was slow and boring; it took place on a space station! And while I agree in the beginning, they are missing out on the depth that the later seasons offered.

I recommend this series to those that are willing to invest time in a great sci-fi series. While you could skip over the 1st season if necessary, you would be missing some of the background/introduction of many elements that are important later in the series. BTW, I'm still waiting for some closure on the end of the series. If you've seen it, you know what I mean.
  • My first true love in Star Trek.

A Starfleet Captain assigned to an old space station orbiting a backwater planet in the middle of nowhere. But then they discover a wormhole leading to a whole new quadrant waiting to be explored and the captain is met by non-corporeal beings and appoints him as the Emissary. But someone on the otherside of the wormhole was there first and that someone is not friendly and soon a war that envelopes the known galaxy begins. Deep Space Nine is a beautiful program with colorful scenes, deep and realistic characters involving stories and not to mention some of the best space battles I've ever seen!
  • Better than a Ferengi holosuite.

Though DS9 first aired in 1993 and ran for 6 years i still remember it as though it was yesterday.

Deep Space Nine took over from where Star Trek - The Next Generation left off and was followed by Voyager but even until this day i rate it above both and will go further and say rate it highly above the original Star Trek.

Each week i would wait for Wednesday night at 8 for it to start and could not wait until the following Wednesday night ( especially if it was a two or three part episode ), i grew to love each character and felt their pain and suffering, their joy and happiness, their heartache and sorrow, and unlike other TV series i watch(ed) i never hated or despised any of the leading characters, naturally my personal favourite was Sisko and he was a far better commander than Kirk, Picard, Janeway or Archer.

I was so sad to watch the final episode and did cry at the end when each main character had there own private flashback.

I know they could never bring this series back but i would love to see a movie made or even a 6 part mini series.
  • This show has it all!

This show is my personnal favorite of all the Star Trek series. Deep Space Nine, with more of a darker theme than any other of the Star Trek series explored hatred, betrayal, the act of murder, and consequences of your actions. It showed that even in the Star Trek Universe politics fail, thus, the result is the Dominion War between The Federation, Klingon and Romulan Empires against The Dominion, Cardassian Empire, and later The Breen. Becuase the show was set on space station it had more opportunities to develop the characters; my perosnal favorite episodes of these are "Hard Time" a classic, and "The Visitor" very powerful. It had continuing plots over the whole series. Even the series finale ended showing veiwers that it still could go on. Nothing else can compare to this show. It indeed was the height of Star Trek.
  • Better than the movies.

This was by far the greatest of the star trek series , infact the best sci fi series period. The characters were more interesting than any of those from the other series, the story writing top notch (especially during the 4th to final season)and the action sequences were some of the best seen in any of the shows or movies. This series should have ben the final installment in the franchise. Although I enjoyed Voyager and Enterprise, they were unnecessary additions which often recycled old plots nor were as epic as DS9's.(although Enterprise's 3rd came close during the last couple of episodes...but at the cost of contradictions with Trek canon). In comparison to all the movies, it was far superior as many of them lacked the epic proportions of this masterpiece. As sci-fi continues to deteriorate to appease unintelligent audiences, I can only hope that shows of such depth, imagination and idealism will return with full force.
1 2 3 4