Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Syndicado (ended 1999)

beowulf579

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Fan Reviews (119)

• The Best of Trek: Deep Space Nine

I want to start this by saying that I consider myself a fan of television before any sort of genre, though I do tend to gravitate to social satire and speculative fiction (my favorite being The Twilight Zone as it has an anthology component). I enjoy watching all sorts of television programs as I am just looking for something good to watch regardless of the genre.

That being said I did very much enjoy watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and when I was very young I enjoyed its predecessor. And while I watched all of it with my roommates I did not like Enterprise all that much (except for maybe the Mirror Episode). As I have already reviewed it I won't go into my thoughts on Voyager here. Now we come to the topic of my review: Deep Space Nine.

I freely admit DS9 wasn't what I had expected when I began to watch it. TNG was still on the air when DS9 premiered and a friend had invited me over for Sunday dinner. We sat about with his parents, and what we termed the monster (his little sister) to catch this trippy thought-provoking two hour series premiere.

After it was over I remember we talked about it, one might even say argued. It was so very different than what we had some to know as Star Trek. My friend and I weren't sure what to make of it and in the midst of our debate his father, who had sat quietly with his newspaper in his hands throughout the show, blurted out -the way fathers sometimes do- his unsolicited opinion: I liked it!

We stared at him dumbfounded as if to say, "Old timer, we get you just want to be heard no one ever listens to you these days, probably because you really just don't get it, and you want to say something. So go ahead we'll humble ourselves by hearing you out, for sure we will also put some karma in the bank for our old age"

As we saintly young boys listened to the old man (frightfully not that old from my current point of view) he explained that this show was more philosophy then TNG, and thought provoking in a different way. He asked us who this Commander Sisko was, was it really HIM or would it have been any outsider who did what he did be the Emissary? What was this religion based around these aliens who lived outside of time? He quoted us Clarke saying, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from

He then suggested that this would be a series to watch, that it was dangerous and even subversive as it would make you question beliefs the way the Trek before it questions science and culture.

He then speculated on what would be on the other side of the wormhole... If it's that far away it might be something humans would have issues understanding and may even be frightened of. Perhaps that was where these wormhole aliens came from? Perhaps they are demons to the creatures on the other side of this wormhole? Or perhaps it would be something else entirely?

At first we wondered how the old-timer even knew of Arthur C. Clarke and what was it his business to tell us what was and wasn't going to be something special. What did he know, my gosh had they even walked on the moon before he was born?! In the end we told him, 'he might have something there' and retired to a more private place for the real minds to discuss the merits of the new TV series.

I didn't know it then but in retrospect it was like he had been as if he were trying to explain to the fools in Treasure of the Sierra Madre that they had been standing on the gold the entire time.

I remember the series seemed to drag on a bit after that, but it had O'Brien on it and Odo seemed interesting, Quark was riot and of course and that Doctor Bashir had an appearance on TNG with Data. Despite the strange start things with DS9 seemed to follow the usual Trek formula, at least for the most part. There were some interesting stories featuring: Q, Garak, Dax, The Nagus, the return of the Mirror Universe and of course Kor, Koloth & Kang.

Then, all of a sudden, DS9 was the only Trek on television and as you kept watching the series it kept getting better, the mystery of the Dominion was being to go somewhere and by the time Generations came out DS9 was basically Star Trek. It didn't matter that the crew wasn't off charting new sectors of space nor was it a problem that they didn't physically "boldly go" where none have gone before.

Trek had become less about the trekking and more with the sitting in once place letting others trek to them. And somewhere between the introduction of Garak, Vedek Winn going toe-to-toe with Keiko O'Brien and the episode MERIDIAN that I realized this show didn't need to be TNG, if it had been I would have just pined for Picard and Data, this was different this was the future.

The unsure feelings I had felt were just the rumbles of change, and while DS9 may not have been speeding through space but it still had a lot going on. With a crew that featured TNG's O'Brien a now Worf on top of an ever growing cast of secondary; Nog, Rom, Dukat, Winn, Damar, Martok, Weyoun, Ziyal, Kasidy Yates, Admiral Ross and of course Morn.

More importantly it seemed to have some of the best story in Trek history; Cardassians, Rules of Acquisition, The House of Quark, Past Tense, Improbable Cause, Lost, Hard Time, Nor the Battle to the Strong, Things Past, Soldiers of the Empire, Children of Time, Rocks and Shoals, Inquisition, Valiant, Time's Orphan, The Siege of AR-558 and many more...

While this was all very impressive what really made the series so good, the reason I began to really like DS9 so much was that it storytelling was not strictly episodic. That is to say those things which happen in one episode of the series could and would have ramifications for the next episode or perhaps 10 episodes down the line. This was a huge departure from the 0-to-0 episodes of TNG, which were good but lacked a feeling of cohesion. With TNG it was almost as if you could jumble up their episodes and watch them in just about any order, because very few things would affect a character or a situation in the future. Sure it would be nice to see them first meet the Borg before they meet Hugh, it didn't matter all that much because the main point of the show never changed. That was not the case on DS9, well not always anyway.

If that wasn't enough this series became epic! The more it went on the more it built up to longer and more involved story arcs and character arcs. It's the mother of shows like BSG and Lost. From the first to the last there were stories that grew in layers, characters who became more defined and focused. As the series went on the crew suffered and struggled, won and lost, they tried very hard to hold onto their ideals as the universe changed around them but weren't always successful. It became something more than a problem of the week show, like its predecessors.

Here, on DS9, we saw Klingon's lament and Human's rage. We saw Jake Sisko admit his heroic actions were those of irrational fear. We said Doctor Bashir fight for months to stop a disease only to receive a hollow victory. We saw generations die on an alien planet, love lamented and actual good advice given, not only by a Captain, but by a holographic lounge singer.

Some reviews have accused DS9 of not always producing a great episode, and sure there was cheese, and the occasional silly episode a chance for the crew to wear tuxes and pull of a sting or play spy in the holodeck, but those 'throwaway eps' were opportunities for cast and crew to have fun and often you get a look into characters you might not have been able to had it not occurred.

Which makes DS9 more than any of other series, to me, is the most rewatchable with the ability to stand up to the test of time (though Kira's hairstyles might not). Just recently I rewatched the story where the Dominion made a terrorist attack on the Federation (Homefront/Paradise Lost) and it affected me.

The Dominion attack and aftermath recalled 2001 to me, as a New Yorker I was scared by the attack and the steps taken to make sure it never happens again. Here, nearly half a decade before it. Trek asked questions I still wonder about: How far is too far when it comes to being safe?! How many compromises in our freedoms can we stand to protect ourselves? Can we really ever be safe from something like this?

Say what you will about TNG, and admit it was a great series; it never took us to the places this synchronously orbiting space station took us to.

Some reviews have reported negative things about the series finale, the relationships and characters at the forefront of the final season. Yet again, in the end, this series had more great Trek episodes, more space battles, more weird science and more philosophical dilemmas than all of the other three series put together.

To me DS9 is a kind of poetry, a television poetry that shouldn't even exist because it's too good--too original. And if it hadn't had the "Trek" name before it likely it wouldn't. If it hadn't been made in the days of 'sold to syndication' it would have probably compromised too much to become the gem it is. It was able to do things shows like Defying Gravity or Nowhere Man never had the chance to do. It was true and unbridled social satire (what the genre of SF is really all about) and because the action had to come to them relationships were deeper, more important. We couldn't have the 0-to-0 storytelling that TNG or TOS used. Because when you don't leave things behind they are never neat and clean in the end, in fact things never really ended the story of DS9 continued even after the last episode.

When it was on I once said to a friend it was arguably the best Trek series ever made... many years, two television series and several movies later I realize there is no argument about it! To me it is something more than what came before and after it, in some sense perhaps the pinnacle of what Star Trek could and can be. In short it is THE BEST OF TREK!
  • Sisko Rules

DS9 is my all time Favorite of the Entire Star Trek Universe.I have the Entire Series on DVD.Ben Sisko was the Best of all the Captains.I Love that DS9 was so filled with darkness and Doubt.Like Our would today.Next Generation,for me,Was TOO Pollyanna,Made me sick!Voyager was too Lost In Space!The Original series was O.K. ,The First Couple Hundred Times.Enterprise?Was a QUANTAM LEAP Backward.
  • great show

This show is great. i mean the writing is just is so good and emotional. I loved how some of the episodes were very dark and some made u think alot. Some were just so crazy it was really great. This show seriously got me hooked everything about is great. It starts off little slow but u have to stick with it and youll see how awesome this show really is. Theres not to much more i can say other then its a masterpiece so go watch it now, if u never have its on netflix for instant streaming. Sometimes i even think i like it even better then the next generation. Because this was the first series not created by gene rodenberry the creators explore alot of uncahrted territory and go all out. I highly recommend this show to any star trek fan youll definetly fall in love wit it
  • An enjoyable show, with interesting characters and a whole lot of TREK.

Star Trek came out in 1966, it was alright, but not that good because of a lack of technology. Then came the animated series, which I can tell you nothing about. Next was The Next Generation, which I thought was perfect. Then came Deep Space Nine, which I learnt to be the best. Commander (later Captain) Benjamin Lafayette Sisko is sent to Deep Space Nine as it's Commander. While there, they learn that there is a wormwhole, and Sisko has the distinct honour of being the first person to go through it an meet with the 'wormhole aliens', or, as they are known on Bajor, 'the Prophets'. Thus, he is given the title of 'Emissary to the Prophets' and is made the spiritual leader of Bajor, while the elected political leader, Kai Winn, a power-hungry Bajoran, can't stand to give the fame and prestige that come with such a position. Among his crew are:
    Bajoran Liaison Officer Major (later Colonel) Kira Nerys.
    Lieutenant Commander Jadzia Dax; a Trill who has a symbiont inside of her, which gives her the memories of the last seven of it's 'hosts', including that of Sisko's old mentor.
    Odo, the shapeshifting constable who had served for the Cardassians (a hostile alien power) who had onced controlled Bajor and the station. Commander Worf, the Klingon starfleet commander from the USS-Enterprise-D
    Doctor Julian Bashir, the English (Siddig el Fadil was born in the Sudan, but raised in England) doctor whose genetically-engineered traits were hidden for years from starfleet.
    Chief Engineer Miles Edward O'Brien, the transporter officer from Transporter Room 3, aboard the Enterprise; always trying to be better than his good friend, Bashir, with whom he spent most of his free time in the holodeck.
    Quark, the Ferengi bartender who always had a money making scheme, and a threat from Odo. While he claims to love money, he sometimes shows that he truly cares about is brother, Nog, and nephew, Rom.
  • Wonderful Show - WHY are there no reruns? I want to see the beginning of it.

Wonderful Show - loved that the characters were in an actual "small town" setting on the space station and that the action came to them -- and there was more character interaction and depth instead of just "shoot-em-up-bang-bang" fillers. WHY are there no reruns? I want to see the beginning of it. It was the best Star Trek I'd ever seen (and I've seen em all except this one) - I only got to see the last 10 or so episodes and then it was over. I programmed my DISH box to record all the eps when they came back on, but they never did - and it's been a year - when do we get the reruns from the start again?
  • While watching this show I cried, Laughted, Felt happy and sad, Its definetly in my Top 3 shows ever.

The only Star Trek series not taking place on a Starship and instead a spacestation, Its my personal favorite of the five.
    Deep Space Nine is alot darker then its predecesors focusing alot on war against the Dominion from the Gamma quadrant, And the tension between federation and cardassian borders, More so since Deep Space Nine works as a guard to the first stable wyrmhole wich makes it a target for alot of various factions.
    One thing that did this show better was Miles O'brien who played a support roll in The Next Generation got a permanent spot on this show, And alot of episodes has him in the center, And it really worked well to have a familiar face around, Worf joins the team in later seasons aswell.
    While watching this show I cried, Laughted, Felt happy and sad, Its definetly in my Top 3 shows ever, So if you want to give Star Trek a try, This is a good choice. (Ofcourse I prefer to watch all of them in order for the timeline).
  • This is a very good series of star trek .I have season seven of star trek Deep space nine. So if you decide to get a season of deep space nine may I recommend season seven. I don't know much about "Trills" but their are interesting. And I like romulans.

At least Romulans have a little bit of emotional suppression. But "Vulcan's" they don't have emotion. Now I have a question who are the profits? and who are the parathe's?. I know that the profits are good and the parathe's are evil. I give this show 6 out of 6 stars.
  • A Star Trek series set on a space station called Deep Space Nine.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was a great show, and it is one of my most favoite Star Trek series of all of them combined. It was fresh and original. All of the characters were great. Dr. Bashir, Ezri Dax, Qaurk, and Jadzia Dax stand out as my favoite. Star Trek:DS9 features some of my all-time favorite Star Trek episodes, especially ones that are about the Romulans which are my favorite race from Star Trek. Star Trek:DS9 had some great storylines, the storyline arc about the dominion war during the final season would be my favoite. The Star Trek:DS9 series finale was one one of my favorite Star Trek series finales. I'll admit it's been a while since I've actually watched Star Trek:DS9, but I'd like to start watching it again soon. Thank god the show is on DVD. I have the first season on DVD, and I hope to get seasons 2-7 on DVD real soon. That way I'll be able to finally see every single episode of Star Trek:DS9 which really was a great show.
  • Deep Space Nine is not as straight-forward as previous Star Trek's, and that causes confusion among the simple-minded.

What makes Deep Space Nine so 'absolutely fabulous' is the amazing and believable cast of characters. The way they are shaped, and the way the evolve during the course of the series, is outstandingly realistic. The actors and actresses are all doing an amazing job portraying their respective character, giving them all a life spark of their own.

What made Deep Space Nine one of the less successful in the series, I believe that in contrary to what the other shows have been, there is no black or white. It's all grey. You are given the opportunity to understand even the so-called "bad guys", and suddenly you are not capable of hating them any more. Even the federation is seen in a light that makes the viewer understand that they are not such flawless goody-two-shoes that you are led to believe in the other series. Everything is grey, everything is relative, and everything is understandable. I think that is what makes many of the old fans become confused when they are not capable of feeling empathy and come to understand all the various characters that are featured in this amazing show.

Deep Space Nine remains the most in-depth, realistic, and gripping show of all Star Trek before and after its emergence. Never before have I seen such an amazing collection of wonderfully talanted actors/actresses doing such a great job of delivering believable characters, and never before have I been so fascinated and interested in the main plot of a Star Trek-series.

This is the way Star Trek should have been.
  • Out of all six Treks, this one had everything a person could look for in a quality show.

Few shows manage to have good writing, characters, and casting. Chemistry between the cast that makes their relationships seem genuine through all of their struggles is even harder to find. Fortunately, Deep Space Nine had it all.

The story arcs were solid from begining to end. The characters grew and changed as the seasons progressed, and the more the changed, the more we knew them and loved them. Not only were the main cast members wonderful, the recurring characters made the stories even better.

This show managed to delve into every aspect of humanity, even though some of the people weren't even human. Religion, trust, betrayal, marriage, birth, life, death, and so many more topics were the focus of this show. The depths of humanity were explored in the relationship between Cardassia and Bajor, which in many ways paralleled the treatment of the Jews during the Nazi rule of Germany. Timely issues, the hallmark of Star Trek, such as genetic engineeering, racism, and homosexuality were explored in ways that everyone could look at without being offended.

From begining to end, we experienced the lives of not just the characters, but of two quadrants. In no other show and on no other Star Trek can such an appealing array of issues, characters, and stories be found. And in the end, although the story threads come to a close, there is still a feeling that the story is not complete, but continuing.
  • On the edge of the final frontier.

The best of the Trek franchise. Deep Space Nine was bold and daring, and went against almost all of the established rules of Star Trek and was all the better for it. From its cast of characters, the space station setting, the relgious and political issues, and of course the Dominion War, Deep Space Nine stood apart from every other Trek show in that it constantly kept trying new and different things, without ever apologizing for it. Its the only Star Trek show that you can actually see the characters evolve and grow as people over the course of the series, and for those that complained early on that there wasn't enough action, they should have stuck around and enjoyed the amazing space battles in the last few seasons. Forget the prequel Trek movie that Paramount wants to "relaunch" the franchise, they should instead focus on making Trek as original and well written as Deep Space Nine.
  • What happens when a Star Fleet Commander is sent to an ex-Cardassian space station in Bajoran territory to help bring the Bajorans into the Federation? And to complicate things, he is considered to be the Emissary to the Bajorans.

This is the best written series in the Star Trek universe. First, the interaction between Ben Sisko and his son Jake is awesome. This is clearly a dad that loves his son with all of his being. Second, Ben Sisko deals with being the Emissary to the Bajoran people which, in the beginning, he is very uncomfortable with. Third, his best friend is a Trill that comes back as Jadzia Dax instead of the "old man" he remembered as Kirzon Dax. But it is still Dax. Fourth, Chief O'Brien made a masterful transition from the Enterprise to DS9 and now has more of a major role in the story. Fifth, Kira Nerys is awesome as the Bajoran who fought in the resistance against the Cardassians earlier. Her story is great all by itself. Sixth, Dr. Bashir is a genetically enhanced human that keeps his secret for about half of the series and his contribution to the show is invaluable. Seventh, Constable Odo, as he is known among friends, is not only dealing with existing as a changeling among solids, his people end up being the main protagonists in the whole story. Eighth, Worf comes to join the space staion in the fourth season and wow, that was a stroke of genius. And finally, Ninth, Quark and the rest of the Ferengi show a more in depth look into Ferengi society than was previously touched upon in "The Next Generation." With the additional characters and side stories, this has to be the most entertaining and best put together Star Trek series ever. This is great Federation entertainment at its best. 5 stars baby!
  • One good show.

Perhaps the most overlooked series of Star Trek has to be Deep Space Nine. In my opinion, DS9 had some of the best storylines, writing, and acting of any of the Star Trek genres. I think it also helped that it had some very good actors/actresses as well as some spectacular writers. Avery Brooks was my favorite actor on the show, but everyone else deserves their fair share of complements. They made the show compelling and managed to get you hooked into their characters rather than the action and drama. Perhaps Deep Space Nine is not as well know as the other Star Trek series, but it certainly is just as good if not better.
    Thank You.
  • My first true love in Star Trek.

A Starfleet Captain assigned to an old space station orbiting a backwater planet in the middle of nowhere. But then they discover a wormhole leading to a whole new quadrant waiting to be explored and the captain is met by non-corporeal beings and appoints him as the Emissary. But someone on the otherside of the wormhole was there first and that someone is not friendly and soon a war that envelopes the known galaxy begins. Deep Space Nine is a beautiful program with colorful scenes, deep and realistic characters involving stories and not to mention some of the best space battles I've ever seen!
  • Better than a Ferengi holosuite.

Though DS9 first aired in 1993 and ran for 6 years i still remember it as though it was yesterday.

Deep Space Nine took over from where Star Trek - The Next Generation left off and was followed by Voyager but even until this day i rate it above both and will go further and say rate it highly above the original Star Trek.

Each week i would wait for Wednesday night at 8 for it to start and could not wait until the following Wednesday night ( especially if it was a two or three part episode ), i grew to love each character and felt their pain and suffering, their joy and happiness, their heartache and sorrow, and unlike other TV series i watch(ed) i never hated or despised any of the leading characters, naturally my personal favourite was Sisko and he was a far better commander than Kirk, Picard, Janeway or Archer.

I was so sad to watch the final episode and did cry at the end when each main character had there own private flashback.

I know they could never bring this series back but i would love to see a movie made or even a 6 part mini series.
  • This show has it all!

This show is my personnal favorite of all the Star Trek series. Deep Space Nine, with more of a darker theme than any other of the Star Trek series explored hatred, betrayal, the act of murder, and consequences of your actions. It showed that even in the Star Trek Universe politics fail, thus, the result is the Dominion War between The Federation, Klingon and Romulan Empires against The Dominion, Cardassian Empire, and later The Breen. Becuase the show was set on space station it had more opportunities to develop the characters; my perosnal favorite episodes of these are "Hard Time" a classic, and "The Visitor" very powerful. It had continuing plots over the whole series. Even the series finale ended showing veiwers that it still could go on. Nothing else can compare to this show. It indeed was the height of Star Trek.
  • Better than the movies.

This was by far the greatest of the star trek series , infact the best sci fi series period. The characters were more interesting than any of those from the other series, the story writing top notch (especially during the 4th to final season)and the action sequences were some of the best seen in any of the shows or movies. This series should have ben the final installment in the franchise. Although I enjoyed Voyager and Enterprise, they were unnecessary additions which often recycled old plots nor were as epic as DS9's.(although Enterprise's 3rd came close during the last couple of episodes...but at the cost of contradictions with Trek canon). In comparison to all the movies, it was far superior as many of them lacked the epic proportions of this masterpiece. As sci-fi continues to deteriorate to appease unintelligent audiences, I can only hope that shows of such depth, imagination and idealism will return with full force.
  • My favorite TV show, you really have to see this!

This is a great show on Spike TV at 1:00 and 2:00.You have to watch a few episodes before you get to like it,but it does not take long!I'v been watching it all summer and it's perfect.It has action, adventure, comedy, drama, and more.The show takes place on a space station where something is always happening.In the show bejor(a planet) just got rid of the cardassians (an alien race) that had enslaved there planet.The federation of planets starts protecting bejor hoping that the bejorans will eventually join them.After a few episodes cardassia starts a war with the federation.That's all I'm going to tell you because I don't want to spoil the ending!
  • Not the Typical Star Trek. Instead of Travelling across the universe, it focuses on the problems of a Starfleet crew in one section of the universe.

Every other series of Star Trek like the original Star trek, Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Enterpirse focuses on the adventures of a space ship that travels across the universe. Even though Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is focused on life in a space station. Even though Star Trek: Deep Space nine only focuses on one area of the galaxy, it is as action packed as every other series of Star Trek. It is full of action because it involves a huge war and having a captain of Starfleet getting involved as a religious figure with a race called the bajorins. With Deep Space Nine being the centre of a war, it makes up for only staying in one part of the universe.
  • Star Trek without it really being "clean". It was Star Trek that took chances, with characters, plots, and acting.

DS9 was a show that, once it got its footing, knew where it wanted to go and how to get there. It was the first show I knew of that used serialized storytelling to its advantage. I love the characters and their interactions. I like how this show wasn't "clean" and never tried to be. It was content to be itself.

Some of the best episodes of sci-fi are found in DS9. I cannot speak enough about this show. Its too bad others viewed DS9 as a "stepchild".

It was superb, and truly an original around pathetic wannabes!!!
  • A space opera that takes place in the Star Trek universe. This Trek show takes place in the same timeline as TNG and Voyager.

Just like the previous Star Trek shows, DS9 is set in outer space where humans encounter new alien species. There are good aliens and bad aliens. In this show, instead of the drama taking place inside a star ship its on a space station. But even though the drama doesn't happen with a Starship, it doesn't mean that the show is lacks action, there are loads of action as well and just like the other Trek shows DS9 delivers. The DS9 characters are an interesting bunch, each one with a story to tell, this show promises a weekly tv fix that can only be matched by another Star Trek show.
  • Masterful

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was, like the station it depicts, caught in between two worlds. On one side, it was not generally beloved by fans of the previous Star Trek series, who, in an ironic twist, loved the idea of traveling to new, unexplored worlds but wouldn't tolerate even a modest tweaking of the Star Trek formula. There were other concerns too, chief among them that DS9 betrayed Roddenberry's vision of the future. On the other hand, those on the outside lumped it in with "Star Trek", which is generally seen to them as a silly kids' show with big-eared aliens and ray guns.

However, both sides were wrong, and the show managed to pick up enough fans to keep it going. Deep Space Nine is an epic saga, and one of the most complex and nuanced shows ever to find its way onto television. While it generally didn't have the intense psychological realism that the current crop of respected shows have (one notable exception is "Hard Time" from Season 4), it created characters with overt and covert agendas (which were often divergent), hidden struggles, and, occasionally, pettiness and self-interest. Far from destroying Star Trek, these touches made the characters far more accessible and real than other Star Trek shows. DS9's story arcs were engaging and interesting--people had to make sacrifices, raise the stakes, and occasionally go against their values for a greater good which, in the end of the day, might merely seem nebulous. "In The Pale Moonlight" is the obvious example of this credo, but don't think that DS9's universe was completely relativist--there are good and evil, and right and wrong, only the two groups don't always directly map to each other. No wonder some Star Trek fans weren't comfortable with the show.

The show was also blasted for avoiding the social commentary which TOS had in spades. If this is a valid complaint against Deep Space Nine, it is only fair to levy it against TNG and Voyager as well. In fact, the complaint is false, it's just that the social commentary was ahead of its time. Look at the society in which we are living: war, terrorism, homophobia, poverty, religious extremism--problems seemingly too large to solve. It just so happens that DS9 explored each of these topics in great depth. It's not that the show didn't have social commentary. It's just that the show was a decade ahead of its time. Now, it has even more currency than it ever did during the uber-PC 1990s.

I could go on, but I'll conclude with this: the show plays on Spike--check it out sometime, or Netflix the DVDs. I'm no Trekkie, and I believe this to be one of the best shows of the 90s and, for that matter, of today.
  • This was my personal Favorite Star Trek Series. The cast was fantastic. The cast change in season seven was kind of a disappointment.

This was the best Star Trek Series to date. It didnt follow the other series with a ship and crew who are searching for something. It gave a new point of view and aspect to what life was like in the federation. It also gave greater insight into many of the races with in the universe. I am sure all the fans have there personal favorite momments. The cast was freaking awesome with O'Brian and Worf from The Next Generation. It was all done well. Dont get me wrong there would some good points of TOS and TNG but this one tops all the series that have been made so far. Hope to see more of the same quality in the future. MOVIE???
  • This is the second best of all the star treks its a lot different there still the exploring worlds but theres also a lot of social matters politics lots of charaters that come and go its great

Starting out as a routine and then becoming one of the major bases in the quadrent ds9. Filled with a varied cast of starfleet and alien charaters including friengie shapeshifters bajorains and what ever the heck morn is ive never figured that part out? One of the better sci fi series out there and one of the best star treks
  • Best Star Trek series!

This series was the best one out of all of the Star Trek series. The plot lines were mature, the characters were very well developed, and the writing was fantastic. It was darker than the other series, which was what made it so appealing. The episode were never boring or repetitive. The special effects were especially good, with many great battle sequences. I was sad to see the end of the series.
  • Deep Space Nine is the best Star Trek series. It's a great alternative to the other series, with first-rate characters, excellent writing, and a fascinating plot.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine is currently my favorite television series. As part of the Star Trek franchise, Deep Space Nine sets itself apart from the other series. For starters Deep Space Nine was set on a space station whose characters were not part of the same crew. The show is also more serialized with substantial characterization and multi-story arcs. In addition to a great regular cast the show includes over 20 recurring characters over its 7-season run.

Compared to the other Star Trek series Deep Space Nine is darker overall. In the Deep Space Nine universe most of the characters have flaws and don’t come off as being perfect as they do on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

For it’s entire run Deep Space Nine was well written, acted, and produced. Over the 7-seasons there were only a handful of weak episodes I didn't like.

Here is how I rank the seasons from best to worst.

Season 5 - 9.9
    Season 7 - 9.9
    Season 4 - 9.8
    Season 2 - 9.5
    Season 6 – 9.5
    Season 3 - 9.4
    Season 1 - 9.2

Overall 9.7

Deep Space Nine gets better with each viewing. It took me 3 viewings before Deep Space Nine become my favorite show. The first time viewer should know that the series doesn't begin to set itself apart from other Star Trek shows until the fourth season. If you are a sci-fi fan I recommend you watch this series or at least give it a chance, even if you didn’t like any of the other Star Trek series.
  • Star Trek Deep Space Nine is what brought me into the world of Star Trek. It's the best of them all.

So why is it that this show is concidered the Star Trek black sheep?

Because it had the nerve to go boldly where no tv-show has gone before? Is it the brilliant plan to stay at a station in stead of flying boldly in space where dozens of races have gone before? Is it the daring concept of exploring a religion? Is it the thought of a Federation at war that ticked people off?

I will never understand this mystery. DS9 has more richness, more character, more drama, more action, more anything than any other Trek.

It will always stay my favorite and I hope that onde day the powers that be that swept this superb show under the carpet and favored the other shows will wise up and create a Deep Space Nine movie!
  • Sadly the show has been off the air for 4 years now and in syndication in markets outside my veiwing area. But I would say without resevation that ds9 was the best of the Trek Shows.

DS9 dared to deal with the grittier side of space life and did not shrink from issues of race, love, sex, marriage, politics and war.

The battles and space fight scenes were some the best I had ever seen of tv, the stories of human relations ships, from Jake spending a life time to save his father, to Curzon telling Judzia he loved her were some of the most memorable and moving moments in television in my opinion.

Kira's confrontation with Gual Darheel was the finest episod,(duet) in ds9, the scenes of their verbal jousts were powerful and moving and have satyed with me all these years.

DS9 expanded our view of the great powers of the alpha quandrent and gave us characters we could love , hate and care about in a serial, "continuing story" format i found touching and memorable, i still miss the series, two of my only complaints against the show are that Sisco's widowing of his wife, Captain Yates in the last episode, (the same way the show began, with the break up of a black family) and disappearance into the wormhole of Sisco could have been used to justify the continuation of the ds9 format as another series.

Also the fact that the black guy and the women,(captain Janeway), did not get movies like their white guy couterparts bothers probabley a few people. Regardless, their should have been movies, we were waiting for our Ds9 movie and it never came. Those points made I have no complaint with DS9. Perhaps after a few years of lying fallow, the Star Trek series will continue in the same spirit as before. Let's hope.

Muhammad Bey
  • People should give this show a chance!

I think that people don't give ST: DS9 the chance that it deserves.

It's a really great show! In my honest opinion, one of the best Star Trek series.

The characters are awesome, the character development is incredible, the plots are full of twists and unevitable turns...

It's really worth watching!

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine deserves a standing ovation.
  • The best Star Trek series ever to exist.

This is the best Star Trek show ever. it has exciting action, awesome plots, memorable characters, and, oh yeah, a giant war at the end. they better make a movie out of this. i mean, they made four movies of TNG. so, anyone who doesn't like this show, you have a problem.
< 1 2 3 4