Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Syndicado (ended 1999)

beowulf579

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Fan Reviews (116)

• I started out watching this show with great anticipation of what was ahead, but was soon disappointed. With the types of plots written and the redundancy of story lines, it could have been shot in Ralph Cramden's kitchen, except not as funny.

The fact that the setting was in deep space and right next to a wormhole that could take the cast to the far reaches of the Galaxy gave it ENORMOUS potential for story line of distant civilations both good and bad. It seemed like it took forever to play out the scenario that lead them to war with the Dominion and there were so many wasted opportunities to go beyond the status quo and search out new life and new civilizations and boldly go where no man has gone before.

After a while I felt like I was watching a show that for the most part could have been set in any town in the good old USA, without the Star Trek setting, and would possibly have been more entertaining.

They had the occasinal show that took them through the wormhole, but most of the time they just stayed onboard Deep Space Nine, and dealt with their hum-drum daily lives at home.

The final episode beckoned me back, and I'm glad I watched, because it was the type of story that should have been told all along, but it died with a whimper and not a bang, unfortunately for all us Trek fans who longed for adventure through the wormhole
  • ds9 latest update

3.5
    I came to bury caeser, not to praise him. I finally watch all the ds9 now that I'm retired. And i 'm glad I did. Cause I can fast forward over the boring parts. I have to agree with a couple of people here. The over - acting was sometimes painful. When the maqui security commander when over to the other side I was rooting for him. Bernie casey was so out of place on this show. Jake was such an annoyance after he grew up. The love scenes between kira and berial were really gross. Worf and ezri never worked together well. And also the stories about earth past in the 20th century. I can't get over hollywood facination with the 1920-to 1950's. Every scifi movie always have to have that time period included. It worked well with the original startrek, there was a purpose. But not on every startrek show please. Overall DS9 was the best startrek.
  • What's the first Star Trek series without Gene Roddenberry like? Well....

5.5
    Star Trek DS9 was the first Star Trek series that was not created by Gene Roddenberry. So what are the results of this new venture? Would it live up to the previous series: Star Trek: The Next Generation? Will it continue Roddenberry's legacy? Lot's of people say yes, lot's of people say no, but I'm one of the folks who tend to see this series as the bottom of the barrel for Star Trek.
    We all know about TNG. The absolute pinnacle of Trek goodness. The stories were consistently interesting, and though it did delve into social issues, it didn't delve too far, and most folks agreed with those issues. Acting was good and most people agree it very much deserved its long run.
    Though DS9 presents a mildly interesting story and cool space battles in "The Dominion Wars", the rest of the time, well, it's a show about a space station, it can't get too exciting. A lot of the stories involve weird religious and political overtones that the writers push and push and push.
    Even though some minor characters from TNG come over(Worf, O'Brien), it's just not enough to make this show worth watching. Cue the angry feedback. This disapointing follow up to TNG just doesn't merit much. Remember, it's a show about a space station.
  • Bordering on dreck at times.

I always expected Captain Sisko to break into a song & dance routine with his big basso profundo voice-grabbing the nearest alien with a tree growing out of the top of their head and doing a robot waltz singing at the top of his lungs. Or maybe thats just me...his son was normal enough though. The Feneghi based episodes were a touch much in my opinion. The decor was Kardasian & was terrible as a result which gave the show an air of contrived cheapness but other than that it was fine. I thought Major Kira was good character-one of few good characters on the show. Who couldn't make jokes about Odo.....what is he today? A plant pot or maybe a chair-what an amazing fellow he isn't.
  • don't have time...read the review

i liked the show when it first started, but it was cindemned to evolve in a tyrpical sf/soap opera. i mean, you really can't have million sf shows without them starting to repeat the same character and plot paradigms. there is the wise, but energetic captain, some sort of technically developed or enhanced being like the doctor, the wise councellor, and, offcurse the loyal staff.

the dynamic setting (station in deep space as the crossing point for travellers of all species) helps, but its potential is eventually exausted by ever-repeating moral dillemas and predictable resolutions (always tough, but fair,made by the wise captain with the help from the loyal crew)...you can see it going down the hill.
  • Agreed; underappreciated...

This ranked 3rd on my list of Star Trek series; 1st being TNG followed closely by the original. This had a darker side and brough much more insight into the aliens created by the series. I particularly liked Daks; she would have been a great choice as the nympo in Star Trek the Movie...
  • 3rd Of The Franchise Reviews

Now, I know there is an on going battle of wills…and words…about this series installment, Deep Space Nine. There are those that like it and those that don’t. I’m afraid I’m one of those that don’t.

I know that it maintains a great continuity of current Trek canon. I know that it actually pivots Next Gen and Voyager together. I also know that it created stories that tranversed into the films. But it doesn’t matter if the story…the actual setting…is weak.

I found Deep Space Nine to be a Space Soap, Hotel in Space…General Hospital Of The Federation. It was preachy, moody and too personality filed to be of anything dynamic. God, if I saw one more holo-deck episode I was going to scream.

The last 2 seasons were good. The Dominion War gave the series a boost back into what Trek and Sci-Fi is. But it was frankly too little too late. I just really didn’t care about what happened on Bajor, or to their religious culture.

I rank this series a 7, only because of it’s ground breaking CGI introductions, its grounding in Trek canon and its maintenance of old Trek values. But other than that…It’s boring.

This series is available on DVD but was terribly high priced. It is now available at half the cost by some retail outlets.
  • DS9 in one word? Overrated. Oh, it’s a good series… but the overacting at times is more than I can deal with. Bojarans?! Who cares about Bojarans!? Anyway… check it out… this show will make you care… but in my case… it may be caring in the hatred way.

Ben Sisko… how I love your overacting! I mean my god…. I really appreciated the African American lead… but isn’t there some stereotyping when Q shows up, and he’s the only captain that gets into a fist fight with the omnipotent being?! I don't want the only brother Captain to be the Tyson of captains :'( It's all good though. Anyway, this show is very good.. but there are things that hold it from being the best Trek.
    1. Ferengi- Yuck. Worthless.
    2. Sisko kissing grown azz Jake…. Jake was like 28 years old and still getting kissed on by his pops like he was an infant.
    3. The Defiant. How “convienant they give Sisko the baddest ship in the fleet even though he works at a stationary slave base. Luckily other captains didn’t need it… like those who actually traversed the galaxy in exploration!
    4. Deseree Dax… personally they should have just let Dax die… that new chick was cute…. So cute it made me sick.

The show had a good plot with the war and all but Odo didn’t cause me to attach any sympathy to his whiny sniveling angry self. Quark… my god… I didn’t care for the Ferengi one bit…. Or ROM! I hate his guts... I mean what was rom other than a goofy excuse to show quarks shallowness? This show was pretty good… but not the best of the treks… If you like a soap opera type shows… that are slow and lets you get attached to the characters then this is the show for you. They kill a lot of people!!! A lot of people die! A lot of the federation is massacred… you have to like that outcome. For while I love trek.. I hate the federation mightily… Just look at what Janeway is!(Preposition!) Self righteous, piece of crap. DS9 is definitely worth the watch.
  • The worst (In My Opinion) of the Star Trek shows. Set in the future and on a space station called Deep Space Nine.

The worst (In My Opinion) of the Star Trek shows. Set in the future and on a space station called Deep Space Nine. I just never really cared about any of the characters and I think being limited to the space station took away from much of the excitement of the other shows. Not seeing the home planets of many of the great looking characters just was kind of disapointing. The cast was pretty decent however as far as their acting skills. The cast included Armin Shimerman as Quark, Terry Farrell as Lt./Lt. Commander Jadzia Dax, Michael Dorn (From Next Generation) as Lt. Commander Worf, Rene Auberjonois as Constable Odo,
    Nana Visitor as Major/Colonel/Commander Kira Nerys, Avery Brooks as Commander/Captain Benjamin Sisko, Alexander Siddig
    as Dr. Julian Bashir, Cirroc Lofton as Jake Sisko, Colm Meaney as Chief Miles O'Brien and Nicole de Boer as Ensign/Lt. Ezri Dax.
  • An imaginative concept gone astray

4.5
    Back in the 90s, when I first heard all the hype about this show coming out and being a "DARK" vision of Star Trek, I actually expected that I was going to see some kind of Gothic "Dark Shadows in space" [am I dating myself with that reference? :-)] where the crew travels to strange places and has bizarre adventures that would actually be scary! But instead the whole show just ended up becoming a bad soap opera involving a few eye-candy main characters and some bizarre-looking humanoid races that are trying to dominate each other, and rather mundane silliness involving devious Ferengis and scantily clad bar ladies. The plot lines seem to have very little depth beyond this. Frankly, the aliens in most sci-fi shows like this today seem rather boring. Where are the really interesting ones, like the "Taelons" in "Earth Final Conflict"? Also, I would have liked to see them make Deep Space Nine a slightly weirder place, perhaps putting in some unexplored dimensions harboring a few deep, dark secrets -- things that instill a sense of wonder and transcend the predictable. If somebody is traveling through a space wormhole, I want him to encounter something really unusual that makes the trip worthwhile. How about some interesting MONSTERS that may or may not be intelligent but look like something other than mutant humanoids? Maybe also a narrator ruminating a bit about what weird, unimaginable horrors we have to look forward to. Maybe even some tongue-in-cheek silliness too as long as it's actually funny! This was done quite well back in the 60s with shows like "Lost in Space", but unfortunately, today's producers rarely seem to have the imagination to come up with such material! If they ever do, however, I would be much more interested in watching.

• A thought out show, but it has a hard-to-get-into plot.

DS9 is a great show, because of the characters, esp. Quark. The Dominion makes a good enemy, while the Cardassians are somewhat threatening. Personally I can't get into the whole "spiritualness" of the show involving the Bajoran culture. It seems to take away from the Star Trek environment. Otherwise, it is a great show, too bad it was canceled.
  • Semi-entertaining, but slow and with about as little action as possible.

"The StoryTeller" doesn't feature any space warfare or action sequences (unless you count an awkward attempted stabbing). It's more of a tale of psychology; the two arcs both deal with a character facing a tough decision - Gina Phillips being the more attractive of the two (Sorry, Colm). While this is fine, aren't we forgetting something incredibly important ? The Kai - the most revered figure on Bajor - was killed last episode (sort of), presumably prompting a public relations disaster for the federation. Yet there's absolutely no mention of these events. What gives ? I was expecting this to dominate the storyline for several episodes.
  • Holocaust Trek

DS9 entailed a "serious" approach for the franchise. After TOS and TNG light-hearted, sometimes childish, plot, the producers decided to expand on the Bajoran side of the series. Bajor,a former Cardassian Empire annexed and occupied planet, is now free thanks to its resistance and the Federation. During the Cardassian occupation, Bajorans were submitted to painful torture methods, biogenetic experimentation and slave labouring -sounds familiar? As in Poland during WWI?-. Comparisons can't be avoided; it is what it is. It must be highlighted that the show never mocks nor parodies the events of WWII. All episodes have been written with respect and the main characters are the most likeable of any of the franchise's iteration until now, including the new film.

However, the first three seasons were slow, really slow but they served to bring about the Bajoran world, culture and myth that, in the end of the series, became the core of the plot. The Bajorans faith has been built upon the Prophets -as in Jewish Prophets?-, entities from an extradimensional realm [separated from the space time continuum] that communicate through Orbs, light-emmiting bubbles of energy of different colours. These orbs are quite powerful since they can be used to predict the future, among other things. That is why the Bajorans, the Cardassians and the Federation keep fighting each-other, to possess and control those orbs. the story takes place on an abandoned Cardassian station that, coincidentally, happens to be close the only stable wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant. This wormhole becomes active after the arrival of commander Benjamin Sisko, the new federation station commander. Curiously, when the wormhole opens, he gets swallowed by it and inside he finds the Prophets; they tell him he is the new emissary -as in Mosses or Enoch-. So, after all the trouble that Bajor has gone through, the new Federation ambassador to Bajor and the emissary of the Prophets is a human, A HUMAN! Bajorans are very superstitious people and, as a consequence, their clergy becomes over zealous about this "celestial happening" since their followers will likely do as the Emissary says instead of their bidding: this is the main plot of DS9, control over the population by religious means. Later after season 3, things change due to the discovery of a new galactic superpower from the Gamma quadrant, The Dominion. To put it simply, it is a sort of huge guild comprised of several other guilds [warriors, traders, scientists and spies] controlled by a small group of "anamorphic" aliens that pose as gods to all this minor guilds -yes, gods... oh, the irony!-

It is a shame that this show had to compete against Babylon 5, a nice show though ridiculous: after season 4 the Prophets became entities capable of possessing humanoid bodies and giving them godlike super powers -sad-. By the end of the show the Federation, the Cardassians, The Dominion, the Bajorans, the Prophets and the Romulans [?] were mixed together to bring about a conceptual mess that came from poorly mixing together fantasy and science-fiction genres just for the sake of ratings.

Note: DS9 FX hadn't been nice until season 4, when the producers decided to go full 3D CGFX to compete against Babylon 5 [again] since B5 was built around this FX standard from the beginning, which awarded it an Emmy for Outstanding Visual Effects, an accolade that Star Trek lacks.
  • Second Sci-Fi Fever! Jutsu!...

Why do I like this show? Three reasons...Cool space-age tech...Awesome outer space battles and wars...And terrific prophets who are always right on their mark! Yes! This is Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. A show that centers on the adventures of Captain Benjamin "Benji" Sisko and other human and alien life forms abord the very large Deep Space Nine secret-edition space station. Viewers will marvel at the fascinating plots and storylines, while watching the characters in action as they become more well-developed. Sadly, this show is no longer producing new episodes. So...To wrap up this review, I will say that this show got better every season because of the reasons I stated above. But being able to watch it means either checking into Spike TV or getting the show on DVD and it is WAY expensive!
  • the best Star Trek, in my opinion...

Deep Space Nine is my favorite Star Trek. It has great characters and pretty good actors. Sisco is an amazing character and he is so interesting and the actor did a great job playing him. Otto, O'Brian, and Quark are great characters also. The whole story line is very interesting also. I especially liked the last season when they were battling the Dominion. The villian changlings were a very sofisticated, interesting bad guys. Also, the bajourins (excuse my spelling) were interesting people and the whole prophet story line was great. Overall, Deep Space Nine has the best character, best story lines, and the best execution of any of the Star Treks.
  • After a slow start, the 3rd 'Star Trek' series picks up speed with the introduction of the Dominion in Season 2 and concludes with the best and longest arc in 'Star Trek,' the Dominion Wars.

I was introduced to 'Star Trek' by my dad when 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' was still airing. Then, when I was in 3rd grade, I remember watching the "special" premiere of 'Deep Space Nine.' At this time, I was too young to follow most of the more complex ideas it presented to me but I was able to enjoy it nonetheless.

During the run of the series I would randomly watch episodes but never get much continuity, especially once it moved to late nights. I also didn't really understand the idea of a series that would build on previous episodes (watched more stand-alone, episodic TV). Towards the end of the series I manged to catch many of the episodes and I was drawn into the on-going Dominion War plot.

During college, I was finally able to sit down and watch the series, beginning to end. I loved how they allowed characters to be "imperfect" and the challenging ideas that some of the episodes presented. A lot of 'Star Trek' fans didn't like this series because it was slow and boring; it took place on a space station! And while I agree in the beginning, they are missing out on the depth that the later seasons offered.

I recommend this series to those that are willing to invest time in a great sci-fi series. While you could skip over the 1st season if necessary, you would be missing some of the background/introduction of many elements that are important later in the series. BTW, I'm still waiting for some closure on the end of the series. If you've seen it, you know what I mean.
  • a different idea

this show is one of my favorites of the star trek chain. it was a bit of a change to what the other shows were. instead of a ship wandering the universe, it was a space station sitting at the edge of a wormhole. i really did not get into it until the second season. i was glad it had a good run.
  • GREAT !!!

Simply put : the best of all trek shows.
    Depth for both chracters and stories,the likes of which have not been until or since on trek shows,and too bad.
    the dominion war storyline was probably one of the best developed storylines i can remember for TV,not just Sci-Fi.
    all of the characters are not what they seem...there is no clear-cut "good" or "evil"...which warps some of the most loyal trek fans for a loop...
  • Still my all-time favorite, next to the original series

Even years after it ended, I'm still amazed at how few people "get" Deep Space Nine. I was there when it all started, and I admit, it took me awhile to warm up to the characters and situation. But DS9, much like Babylon 5, is a show that rewards viewers for sticking around. Whether it was intentional or not, it certainly plays as the most well thought-out of the Trek series. Events from the first episode resonate throughout its seven-season run. Characters sometimes change sides. They fall in love (just imagine Geordi or Capt. Picard or any of the TNG crew falling in love for more than a single episode). They make sacrifices, and even die.

DS9 was also easily the most unpretentious Trek show. The awesomely overrated TNG started the lazy trend of "technobabble", in which major plot contrivances would be explained by some questionable (and boring) scientific explanation. This unfortunately spilled over into Voyager and Enterprise. But Deep Space Nine felt more REAL than any of those starships. It was often funny, very human, and peopled with interesting characters.

The show currently airs twice a day, 5 days a week on Spike. I hope that viewers who dismissed the show in the past, or lost interest, will give it another try.
  • I have heard many say that DS9 is the worst Star Trek or mocking the fact that DS9 is about a space station, not about a spaceship like all the Enterprise series and Voyager. Do not let that confuse you, DS9 is no doubt the best Star Trek.

Deep Space 9 is a space station close to a wormhole that leads to the Gamma quadrant. The Gamma quadrant contains many interesting species and some of them will be major enemies of the Federation.

What I appreciate most about DS9 is the long arcs. Some arcs range from the first season to the last, although the major war arcs begin when Worf joins the series in the 4th season. Then the show really starts to shine.

DS9 is good from the beginning, but in the later seasons it's excellent. There are many long arcs that are unfamiliar territory for Star Trek. That said, the long arcs of DS9 work perfectly.

The characters and the cast of different Star Trek series is always an important part of the whole. Deep Space 9 doesn't disappoint in that regard, the characters and the cast is magnificent. The commander of the station, Sisko, is very nicely played by Avery Brooks. Although I love the captains of all other Star Trek series, I must say that Sisko is my favorite. He's just incredible.

The magnificence of the characters doesn't end there, not by a long shot. There is Odo, intriguing shape-shifting creature. Of course there is our favorite Ferengi, Quark. Also some of the best smaller roles ever, the cardassian Garak for instance. I could go on with this list forever, but it's safe to say that the characters and the cast of DS9 are brilliant.

Deep Space 9 is all the things that are good about Star Trek. It has adventure and exploration (provided by Gamma quadrant), excellent drama and the characters have good chemistry. DS9 also includes long arcs with excellent plotlines and battles that are the boldest and biggest of any Star Trek series. Humor is also not forgotten, there's a decent amount of that too.

Also if you miss the "exploring and fighting in space with a huge spaceship" feeling, then you will not be disappointed. When the huge war arcs of DS9 begin, the station will also get a ship which is commanded by Captain Sisko. The ship is Defiant class and the name is also Defiant.

I recommend this show to anyone and everyone who likes Star Trek and SciFi in general. This is an excellent series, something no SciFi fan should miss.
  • Still the best Trek

I'll admit it, I rarely watched Deep Space Nine in it's original run. I watched the first and last episodes on their original air dates, but rarely in between. I simply couldn't 'get into' the show. It seemed darker and more 'serious' than than The Next Generation and I wasn't ready for that yet.

It wasn't until a few years later that I started watching repeats almost every evening. Problem was they were constantly out of order. One night it was a season 3 ep, followed by a season 7 ep. I was finally 'into' the show, but was clueless as to the scope of the saga

Now, thanks to the marvel of DVDs, I have watched the series in order partway into the 6th season and hope finish it and season 7 in the coming months.

I freely state now that this is my favorite Trek. I grew up on TNG, liked Voyager in passing, and and never really watched much of the original series. I'm of no currect opinion on Enterprise sewing as I only watched the 1st ep and the last ep with handful in between (the same as I did for DS9, interestingly.....)

DS9 was something special and I'm glad it got a full, healthy 7 seasons to run its course. Now I can only hope that if they continue with Trek movies, they'll pick DS9 since it's rightfully next in line.
  • Star Trek Deep Space Nine was on the whole an entertaining and enjoyable show.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine was on the whole an entertaining and enjoyable show. Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes guest starred.It was set on a space station commanded by Commander Benjamin Sisko who was also the emissary of the Bajoran people, ex-resistance fighter Major Kira Nerys was his first officer ,Chief of Operations was Miles O’Brien from the Enterprise, Trill And Dax symbiont host Jadzia Dax was the science officer and the doctor was Julian Bashir. Ferengi bartender Quark provided some great comedy moments.

The first two seasons were overall quite tedious, bland and repetitive, but it did establish characters who would be pivotal roles later on, like Jake, Nog, Garek and Gul Dukat, so in season three they were given an enemy “The Dominion”, who were security officer Odo’s species, and a battle ship called The Defiant. In the last episode of season three Sisko was promoted to Captain and the Founders of “The Dominion” unofficially declared war on The Federation after Odo killed one.

In season Four there were a few changes;
    The theme tune was at a faster pace,
    The Defiant was on the opening titles,
    Lieutenant Commander Worf joined Deep Space Nine as the first officer of The Defiant and wore red instead of yellow,
    Sisko was bald,
    The Klingons became enemies of The Federation and Worf became a traitor.
    General Martok was introduced,
    Dax became a Lt Cmdr and Bashir was promoted to a senior grade Lt.
    And his people turned Odo into a permanent solid.

In Season Five Worf and Dax fell in love and got engaged and the Klingons ended their feud after Martok was exposed as a Founder, the real Martok was found with the real Doctor Bashir, who later found out he was genetically engineered. New grey and black uniforms were issued to the crew. Odo began to shapeshift again. Quarks nephew Cadet Nog became an officer on the Defiant and his brother Rom married Bajoran dabo girl Leeta. Vortar Weyoun was introduced.
    The Cardassians joined the Dominion and, led by Dukat, they took over DS9 after an evacuation.

In Season Six Gul Dukat turned to insanity after his daughter’s death at the hands of his peer Damar, so he summoned the evil gods the Pah Wraith’s. DS9 was once again under Starfleets command after the Dominion evacuated but the war continued.
    Nog became an Ensign. Kira and Odo became a couple and Worf married a very sexy Jadzia.
    When actress Terry Farrell sadly asked to leave the show it was decided that Jadzia would be killed by a Pah Wraiths possessed Dukat in the final episode and the symbiont would be passed on to another host, leaving Worf distraught.

The Final season saw Ensign Ezri Dax arrived as a counsellor and was given a junior grade lieutenant rank, she befriended Worf after a few harsh words and became intimate with him once before moving to a relationship with Julian. Sisko found out he was the son of a prophet hence his status as Emissary he married Kassidy Yates and got her pregnant. Worf killed the Klingon chancellor Gowron and gave the title to Martok. Kira became a Colonal and a Starfleet Commander. Rom became Grand Negus.The Defiant was destroyed but the crew was issued with a brand new Defiant in time for the final battle. After a Cardassion rebellion the Dominion surrendered. Worf became an Ambassador and left, The Chief went to Earth to be a professor, Odo returned to The Great Link to cure their disease, Nog became a Lieutenant, Damar and Weyoun were killed, Sisko ascended to the prophets after a battle with Dukat and the Pah Wraiths.
  • A great new change of pace for those who like to have their space race fix!

Finding a new way to tell an old story, this 24th century incarnation of Star Trek takes things to whole other levels. Started off by setting the stage with a soap opera feel, this show suddenly takes us to war and show us our own humanity while dealing with Vorta, Jem Hadar, Cardassians and Bajorans. This strory is laced with many metaphors for real life and never stops delivering action, adventure and creating heroes and mythology while winning your heart and mind. This show enables us to reach within ourselves and see what we may want from ourselves, to better ourselves and trap the hero within ourselves.
  • DS9 is by far the best of all the ST series, and one of the better SF series of all time. The only one I might rank higher is Babylon 5.(Followup Note: Add Dark Angel and Firefly to that list. The four are all exceptional)

Like all the successor Star Trek series, this one got off to a slow start. It really wasn't until season 3, and particularly season 4 (with the addition of Michael Dorn's Worf) to the cast, that it really took off and found its footing.

With Season 3 and 4, the series began to deviate much from the original "space communism" that was an essential part of Roddenberry's vision of the future. The support structures which make that system practical, where unlimited energy and material allow almost anyone to have anything (negating materialism to at least some extent) are not (and could not be) expected to be functional on a frontier outpost, which, in essence, is what DS9 really is. Thus, the notions of money and trade become relevant, as people jockey for access to limited resources. This inevitably leads to conflict, which, of course, is the essence of Drama.

In addition, the placement under Sisko's command of the warship Defiant, and the introduction of the Wormhole adversaries of the Dominion/Founders and their operatives the Jem'Hadar and the Voorta, allowed for a much wider range of stories and conflicts, as first the Klingons, then the Dominion, involved the Federation in wars which test its mettle and character. Plotlines involving combat and war certainly play a much more central role in this series than in the predecessor ST series.

DS9 also had a wider, more nonhuman range of its own different characters, with not just Humans, but also the Ferengi, Trill, Cardassians, Founders, Bajorans and Klingons playing central roles in the base cast, allowing not just individual character development but also development of alternate cultures/species and the characterization of the same. The writing also excelled after season 3, ranging from some very entertaining use of the holosuite concept (it became more than simply the venue for placing people in historical tales it was in ST:TNG to a place to hang out or enjoy physical activity), to experimental ones which used nonstandard storytelling techniques, such as that found in "In the Pale Moonlight" and "Far Beyond The Stars" and "Trials And Tribble-ations", which used time travel as a macguffin to set itself into the middle of a classic ST:TOS episode, much as the second "Back in Time" movie set much of its plot development within the events of the first.

The series is an excellent example of a simple but little-noticed fact -- Science Fiction essentially encompasses *all* forms of fiction -- there are no stories which cannot be recast, fairly easily, into a mildly or strongly SF context. The fact that SF is often associated with schlock and bad fiction is a fault of lazy writers and ignorantly complacent consumers, and indicates nothing of the true nature of SF. Hence, SF allows the greatest range of storytelling, allowing not just "what if" and "suppose" but "how" and "why". SF, with its characteristic fluidity, proffers no surprise to its watchers when a story is told using radically different techniques or situations, allowing radically different viewpoints or thoughts to be expressed than in mainstream series television.
  • The best startek series

I thought this was the best startrek series. It had the best action, espically toward the end of the series. Unlike the other startrek series, this had more action. Even though they took it to far with all the bajoran mumbo jumbo crap. And how sisko had to be the damn chosen one. But other than that it was great. The other startrek series, it was to happy go lucky crap and not enough action. So, when they bring back the series it needs more action, darker. They need to take ques from BSG.
  • Started out slow but ended great.

This series of Star Trek didn't interest me at first. It started off very slow and the story line didn't seem to really be going anywhere. As the seasons progressed I saw the story start to form and make sense. The shows all started to come together. The first two seasons were somewhat a bore, but you need to get through them to get to the rest of the seasons and the finally. If you didn't watch it because the first episodes and seasons weren't good give it a chance and you will love the show by the end.
  • One of the best Star Treks made only falling short in the first season and some of the secound season.

I really liked DS9. It was a new breath of air when it came to Star Trek. Lets face it every Star Trek until now has been on a star ship or some type of vessal anyway. But DS9 was located on a star base. Meaning a better plot and story then other Star Trek series.

But my favourite episodes came when the Jem Hadar where facing the federation. Learning about that facinating warrior species and there dependency on the white liquid Ketracel white. Which is used to control these warriors because they have no need for other human activites like eating or sleeping. The Captain of DS9 was one of the first black captains having a major role. So this caused so much diversity that i enjoyed the show a lot.

But a lot of the show focused on the Bajor. A planet close to DS9 that was invaded by the cardassians. The occupation of bajor in many ways is similar to the occupation of many jewish staes in world war 2 by the Nazi`s. There is striking similarities. The Bajorians where sent to labor camps and concentration camps. Many of them where operated on while alive and no pain killer given.

In a way the Cardassians embodied many of the evils that we have seen in are time. So because of this the story of DS9 is much more interesting.In later seasons the Dominion war was focused on. Unfortunatly for The Federation. The Dominion made many alies like The Cardassians, Breen and much smaller allies the karemma. The Breen played a vital role as they had weapons that the Federation had no defence of. But defeat after defeat. The federation found itself in a good position to end the war with one last battle to the main Dominion planet.But i wont give away all the stroy. Lets just say the good guys won in the end.
  • Best of the Star Trek series

I never was much of a fan of the original series, i never cared much about those old movies where the hero beats the bad guy and gets the girl, the original series is pretty much a science fiction version of those movies.

Then The Next Generation came along, that was the Star Trek that the original series should of been.
    Voyager and Enterprise followed the same style that the first 2 series did. (even though in Voyager they did try to get home, but that was just the main storyline, the rest was the same as the other ones)
    Deep Space Nine brought something new, a space station, and the best part is that it's not a Federation space station, because that would of been half as interesting.

Like most Star Trek series the first few seasons were weak, season 1 and 2 wasn't that great, season 3 became alot more interesting with the Defiant, and with Michael Dorn as Worf joining the cast and the whole Dominion war made things just great.
    Some people never really liked the Dominion war, still i think no one can deny that without the Dominion war it wouldn't of been even half as good, it gave the show a backbone, something that was always there, even if the episode wasn't about it you still knew it was going on, and understood the way things were.

Also 1 of the strong points were the amount of regulars, you can't have a cast of like 15-20 people, but by having many regular cast members you can really make things alot better, and that's what characters like Rom, Nog, Weyoun, Brunt, Dukat, Gowron and many more did.

But besides the great storylines the most important thing was the quality of the actors, Star Trek isn't exactly known for having the best actors, sure there have been quite alot of good ones in all the years, but in most series you only had about 3-4 from the main cast and regulars that were really good, in DS9 there have been many great actors, actors like Armin Shimerman, Colm Meaney, Avery Brooks, Andrew Robinson, Jeffrey Combs and many more did excellent work on DS9, and with all that it simply made the best Star Trek out there, and i think it's impossible to beat that.
  • The best Trek & sci-fi show ever written.

I don't care what anyone says...Deep Space Nine was the best written of all the Trek shows. It was a little shaky in the first season, as it was still finding it's stride. Unlike ST:TNG first season, which is still embarrassing to watch. Once i discovered the diamond in the rough that this Deep Space Nine, it quickly became my favourite guilty pleasure. Benjamin Sisko was the strongest of all the captains, and the whole "prophet of the emissary" mythology was geniously inspired. This show saved the Trek Franchise in my mind, and once they add Commander Worf, they really found their stride. The last 4 seasons of DS9, are four of the best seasons of any Sci-fi show ever written. As most shows tend to dwindle in their last years, DS9 just took off. And quickly became an addiction for many real fans of Sci-Fi. The series finale was one of the most inspired and courageous finale ever written. I still hold out hope that we get to re-visit DS9 someday, in movie form or even mini-series form. Long Live DS9, and the Emissary of the Prophets!! thank you, Ira steven-behr for running a fantastic show.
  • I'm torn between this and TNG, but when it comes down to it, I find that DS9 had more of a storyline that followed from one episode to the next with more character development in second string characters.

The war...that is how I would best describe this series as the build up to it was great and suspensful. From taking all the races that we've come to know from TNG (Feringi and Cardassin's) and expanding on them not only as a race, but what they were capable of. For instance, in TNG we knew that Ferengi were motivated by "profit", but by having a character as Quark helped dig that in as we saw his plots succeed and failed over and over. With the introduction of Gul-Dukat we saw how the Cardassins were revered by many and how he tried to justify things during "The Ocupation." Great series with memorable characters, highly recommended to long time fans of Trek and new comers as well.
< 1 2 3 4