Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Syndicado (ended 1999)

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Fan Reviews (118)

This is one of the amazing comebacks of TV history. After the arrival of Worf and the start of the Cardassian war, DS9 became the most action-packed Star Trek ever, and definitely benefited from season-spanning storylines.

I have to say, there were some great episodes even right from the beginning (a Quark casino alternate reality in season 1 stands out) and some episodes that got too caught up in the mystical side plots that didn't really do much for suspense, action, or character development.

The absolute best episode is the one where Sisko does a monologue reflecting on a recent mission gone awry (season 6 I think). This--much like the Piccard torture episide in TNG season 6--went a huge way to define the mature stage of his character. Excellent stuff.
  • Sisko Rules

DS9 is my all time Favorite of the Entire Star Trek Universe.I have the Entire Series on DVD.Ben Sisko was the Best of all the Captains.I Love that DS9 was so filled with darkness and Doubt.Like Our would today.Next Generation,for me,Was TOO Pollyanna,Made me sick!Voyager was too Lost In Space!The Original series was O.K. ,The First Couple Hundred Times.Enterprise?Was a QUANTAM LEAP Backward.
  • An enjoyable show, with interesting characters and a whole lot of TREK.

Star Trek came out in 1966, it was alright, but not that good because of a lack of technology. Then came the animated series, which I can tell you nothing about. Next was The Next Generation, which I thought was perfect. Then came Deep Space Nine, which I learnt to be the best. Commander (later Captain) Benjamin Lafayette Sisko is sent to Deep Space Nine as it's Commander. While there, they learn that there is a wormwhole, and Sisko has the distinct honour of being the first person to go through it an meet with the 'wormhole aliens', or, as they are known on Bajor, 'the Prophets'. Thus, he is given the title of 'Emissary to the Prophets' and is made the spiritual leader of Bajor, while the elected political leader, Kai Winn, a power-hungry Bajoran, can't stand to give the fame and prestige that come with such a position. Among his crew are:
    Bajoran Liaison Officer Major (later Colonel) Kira Nerys.
    Lieutenant Commander Jadzia Dax; a Trill who has a symbiont inside of her, which gives her the memories of the last seven of it's 'hosts', including that of Sisko's old mentor.
    Odo, the shapeshifting constable who had served for the Cardassians (a hostile alien power) who had onced controlled Bajor and the station. Commander Worf, the Klingon starfleet commander from the USS-Enterprise-D
    Doctor Julian Bashir, the English (Siddig el Fadil was born in the Sudan, but raised in England) doctor whose genetically-engineered traits were hidden for years from starfleet.
    Chief Engineer Miles Edward O'Brien, the transporter officer from Transporter Room 3, aboard the Enterprise; always trying to be better than his good friend, Bashir, with whom he spent most of his free time in the holodeck.
    Quark, the Ferengi bartender who always had a money making scheme, and a threat from Odo. While he claims to love money, he sometimes shows that he truly cares about is brother, Nog, and nephew, Rom.
  • While watching this show I cried, Laughted, Felt happy and sad, Its definetly in my Top 3 shows ever.

The only Star Trek series not taking place on a Starship and instead a spacestation, Its my personal favorite of the five.
    Deep Space Nine is alot darker then its predecesors focusing alot on war against the Dominion from the Gamma quadrant, And the tension between federation and cardassian borders, More so since Deep Space Nine works as a guard to the first stable wyrmhole wich makes it a target for alot of various factions.
    One thing that did this show better was Miles O'brien who played a support roll in The Next Generation got a permanent spot on this show, And alot of episodes has him in the center, And it really worked well to have a familiar face around, Worf joins the team in later seasons aswell.
    While watching this show I cried, Laughted, Felt happy and sad, Its definetly in my Top 3 shows ever, So if you want to give Star Trek a try, This is a good choice. (Ofcourse I prefer to watch all of them in order for the timeline).
  • best ever

Ds9 was the star trek series I kept going back to. Good god was it awesome. Epic confrontations, cool alien makeup, Quark and Odo going at each other like a old couple, It was great. The captain in this series is my favorite. Sysco was a combination of Kirks willing to fight and Picards negotiation skills. The other crew members had the most variety from all the others with 3 aliens and a biologically enhanced man. Also, the first Indian joined star treks major crew members roster. The ending to the show was not all that good though. Chief goes off with his wife to earth and teaches at the academy, Bashire and Dax hook up and stay on the station, Quark stays, Keria ( my least favorite of the group) becomes Captian, and Sysco has to spend the rest of his life with an alien out in space. Odo gets the same ending too. He has to spend time with his own kind. He earleir was going on about being the last shapeshifter. now their a whole planet out of them. Over all, this is a must watch for all fans of star trek and sci fi.
  • The Best of Trek: Deep Space Nine

I want to start this by saying that I consider myself a fan of television before any sort of genre, though I do tend to gravitate to social satire and speculative fiction (my favorite being The Twilight Zone as it has an anthology component). I enjoy watching all sorts of television programs as I am just looking for something good to watch regardless of the genre.

That being said I did very much enjoy watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and when I was very young I enjoyed its predecessor. And while I watched all of it with my roommates I did not like Enterprise all that much (except for maybe the Mirror Episode). As I have already reviewed it I won't go into my thoughts on Voyager here. Now we come to the topic of my review: Deep Space Nine.

I freely admit DS9 wasn't what I had expected when I began to watch it. TNG was still on the air when DS9 premiered and a friend had invited me over for Sunday dinner. We sat about with his parents, and what we termed the monster (his little sister) to catch this trippy thought-provoking two hour series premiere.

After it was over I remember we talked about it, one might even say argued. It was so very different than what we had some to know as Star Trek. My friend and I weren't sure what to make of it and in the midst of our debate his father, who had sat quietly with his newspaper in his hands throughout the show, blurted out -the way fathers sometimes do- his unsolicited opinion: I liked it!

We stared at him dumbfounded as if to say, "Old timer, we get you just want to be heard no one ever listens to you these days, probably because you really just don't get it, and you want to say something. So go ahead we'll humble ourselves by hearing you out, for sure we will also put some karma in the bank for our old age"

As we saintly young boys listened to the old man (frightfully not that old from my current point of view) he explained that this show was more philosophy then TNG, and thought provoking in a different way. He asked us who this Commander Sisko was, was it really HIM or would it have been any outsider who did what he did be the Emissary? What was this religion based around these aliens who lived outside of time? He quoted us Clarke saying, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from

He then suggested that this would be a series to watch, that it was dangerous and even subversive as it would make you question beliefs the way the Trek before it questions science and culture.

He then speculated on what would be on the other side of the wormhole... If it's that far away it might be something humans would have issues understanding and may even be frightened of. Perhaps that was where these wormhole aliens came from? Perhaps they are demons to the creatures on the other side of this wormhole? Or perhaps it would be something else entirely?

At first we wondered how the old-timer even knew of Arthur C. Clarke and what was it his business to tell us what was and wasn't going to be something special. What did he know, my gosh had they even walked on the moon before he was born?! In the end we told him, 'he might have something there' and retired to a more private place for the real minds to discuss the merits of the new TV series.

I didn't know it then but in retrospect it was like he had been as if he were trying to explain to the fools in Treasure of the Sierra Madre that they had been standing on the gold the entire time.

I remember the series seemed to drag on a bit after that, but it had O'Brien on it and Odo seemed interesting, Quark was riot and of course and that Doctor Bashir had an appearance on TNG with Data. Despite the strange start things with DS9 seemed to follow the usual Trek formula, at least for the most part. There were some interesting stories featuring: Q, Garak, Dax, The Nagus, the return of the Mirror Universe and of course Kor, Koloth & Kang.

Then, all of a sudden, DS9 was the only Trek on television and as you kept watching the series it kept getting better, the mystery of the Dominion was being to go somewhere and by the time Generations came out DS9 was basically Star Trek. It didn't matter that the crew wasn't off charting new sectors of space nor was it a problem that they didn't physically "boldly go" where none have gone before.

Trek had become less about the trekking and more with the sitting in once place letting others trek to them. And somewhere between the introduction of Garak, Vedek Winn going toe-to-toe with Keiko O'Brien and the episode MERIDIAN that I realized this show didn't need to be TNG, if it had been I would have just pined for Picard and Data, this was different this was the future.

The unsure feelings I had felt were just the rumbles of change, and while DS9 may not have been speeding through space but it still had a lot going on. With a crew that featured TNG's O'Brien a now Worf on top of an ever growing cast of secondary; Nog, Rom, Dukat, Winn, Damar, Martok, Weyoun, Ziyal, Kasidy Yates, Admiral Ross and of course Morn.

More importantly it seemed to have some of the best story in Trek history; Cardassians, Rules of Acquisition, The House of Quark, Past Tense, Improbable Cause, Lost, Hard Time, Nor the Battle to the Strong, Things Past, Soldiers of the Empire, Children of Time, Rocks and Shoals, Inquisition, Valiant, Time's Orphan, The Siege of AR-558 and many more...

While this was all very impressive what really made the series so good, the reason I began to really like DS9 so much was that it storytelling was not strictly episodic. That is to say those things which happen in one episode of the series could and would have ramifications for the next episode or perhaps 10 episodes down the line. This was a huge departure from the 0-to-0 episodes of TNG, which were good but lacked a feeling of cohesion. With TNG it was almost as if you could jumble up their episodes and watch them in just about any order, because very few things would affect a character or a situation in the future. Sure it would be nice to see them first meet the Borg before they meet Hugh, it didn't matter all that much because the main point of the show never changed. That was not the case on DS9, well not always anyway.

If that wasn't enough this series became epic! The more it went on the more it built up to longer and more involved story arcs and character arcs. It's the mother of shows like BSG and Lost. From the first to the last there were stories that grew in layers, characters who became more defined and focused. As the series went on the crew suffered and struggled, won and lost, they tried very hard to hold onto their ideals as the universe changed around them but weren't always successful. It became something more than a problem of the week show, like its predecessors.

Here, on DS9, we saw Klingon's lament and Human's rage. We saw Jake Sisko admit his heroic actions were those of irrational fear. We said Doctor Bashir fight for months to stop a disease only to receive a hollow victory. We saw generations die on an alien planet, love lamented and actual good advice given, not only by a Captain, but by a holographic lounge singer.

Some reviews have accused DS9 of not always producing a great episode, and sure there was cheese, and the occasional silly episode a chance for the crew to wear tuxes and pull of a sting or play spy in the holodeck, but those 'throwaway eps' were opportunities for cast and crew to have fun and often you get a look into characters you might not have been able to had it not occurred.

Which makes DS9 more than any of other series, to me, is the most rewatchable with the ability to stand up to the test of time (though Kira's hairstyles might not). Just recently I rewatched the story where the Dominion made a terrorist attack on the Federation (Homefront/Paradise Lost) and it affected me.

The Dominion attack and aftermath recalled 2001 to me, as a New Yorker I was scared by the attack and the steps taken to make sure it never happens again. Here, nearly half a decade before it. Trek asked questions I still wonder about: How far is too far when it comes to being safe?! How many compromises in our freedoms can we stand to protect ourselves? Can we really ever be safe from something like this?

Say what you will about TNG, and admit it was a great series; it never took us to the places this synchronously orbiting space station took us to.

Some reviews have reported negative things about the series finale, the relationships and characters at the forefront of the final season. Yet again, in the end, this series had more great Trek episodes, more space battles, more weird science and more philosophical dilemmas than all of the other three series put together.

To me DS9 is a kind of poetry, a television poetry that shouldn't even exist because it's too good--too original. And if it hadn't had the "Trek" name before it likely it wouldn't. If it hadn't been made in the days of 'sold to syndication' it would have probably compromised too much to become the gem it is. It was able to do things shows like Defying Gravity or Nowhere Man never had the chance to do. It was true and unbridled social satire (what the genre of SF is really all about) and because the action had to come to them relationships were deeper, more important. We couldn't have the 0-to-0 storytelling that TNG or TOS used. Because when you don't leave things behind they are never neat and clean in the end, in fact things never really ended the story of DS9 continued even after the last episode.

When it was on I once said to a friend it was arguably the best Trek series ever made... many years, two television series and several movies later I realize there is no argument about it! To me it is something more than what came before and after it, in some sense perhaps the pinnacle of what Star Trek could and can be. In short it is THE BEST OF TREK!
  • great show

This show is great. i mean the writing is just is so good and emotional. I loved how some of the episodes were very dark and some made u think alot. Some were just so crazy it was really great. This show seriously got me hooked everything about is great. It starts off little slow but u have to stick with it and youll see how awesome this show really is. Theres not to much more i can say other then its a masterpiece so go watch it now, if u never have its on netflix for instant streaming. Sometimes i even think i like it even better then the next generation. Because this was the first series not created by gene rodenberry the creators explore alot of uncahrted territory and go all out. I highly recommend this show to any star trek fan youll definetly fall in love wit it
  • Wonderful Show - WHY are there no reruns? I want to see the beginning of it.

Wonderful Show - loved that the characters were in an actual "small town" setting on the space station and that the action came to them -- and there was more character interaction and depth instead of just "shoot-em-up-bang-bang" fillers. WHY are there no reruns? I want to see the beginning of it. It was the best Star Trek I'd ever seen (and I've seen em all except this one) - I only got to see the last 10 or so episodes and then it was over. I programmed my DISH box to record all the eps when they came back on, but they never did - and it's been a year - when do we get the reruns from the start again?
  • One of the best star trek series around and's not set on a starship.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine was a great show to watch, it had exploration in it (i.e. exploration of the gamma quadrant) but it also centred around character interaction, and gave emphasis to the religion of the Bajorans. This is what sets Deep Space Nine apart from other star trek shows, in the fact that it is a character driven show and has alot of character development in it. Being set on a space station it gives more of a chance for conflict between charaters of different races, not only just starfleet personnel but civilians as well.

It was intersting to see how the bajoran faith and their prophets, were worked into the storylines throughout all seven seasons.

The show was set on a cardassian station called Deep Space Nine, in the Bajoran System. The Bajoran Provisional Government called in the Federation to help administrate the station, after the withdrawl of the cardassians. The cardassians had previously occupied Bajor for over 50 years, it was only through the efforts of the Bajoran Resistance that the Cardassians were forced to leave. I found the occupation of Bajor to be an interesting backstory for the show; and quite a few episodes refer to it or events that occured during the occupation. During the occupation of bajor the cardassians comitted countless atrocities against the bajorans; and they attempted to extract valuable resources from Bajor before they left.

We are introduced to a new adversary at the end of season 2, which we had heard about since the beginning of season 2: The Dominion. We learn in season 3 that Security Chief Odo is from a race of beings known as the Founders (or Changelings), who are the leaders of the Dominion.

Sisko, although initially uncomfortable with his role as the Emissary to the Bajoran Prophets in the end embraces this role.

The Dominion make alliances with the Cardassians and later the Breen (in Seasons 5 and 7) and start a war with the Federation that lasts almost two years. This war although won by the Federation and its allies, they incur heavy casualties and Cardassia is decimated with the deaths of many civilians. This is a result of the female changeling ordering extermination of the Cardassian population (on Cardassia Prime).

After the conclusion of the war, sisko goes to the fire caves of Bajor representing the prophets, for a final confrontation with Dukat posessed by the Pah Wraith Kosst Amojen. Sisko survives and Dukat is trapped with the pah wraiths for eternity in the fire caves. Sisko is rescued by the prophets, and is taken to the celestial temple. Here Sisko tells his wife Kassidy Yates that he must remain, as he has so much to learn from the prophets -- but he will return, whether it is days, months, years or yesterday.

The conclusion to the series is satisfying and Sisko's story has come full circle. The emergence of the dominion as a threat early on was great to watch; and the dominion war years of the show were some of the best.

Given this is an abbreviated review, other characters of note are: Jadzia Dax, Ezri Dax, Quark, Rom, Nog, Jake Sisko, Chief Miles O'Brien, Colonel Kira Nerys, Security Chief Odo, Dr. Julian Bashir, Lt. Commander Worf and the simple tailor Elim Garak.
  • My favirate star trek saga - DEEP SPACE NINE.

I love these show so much that I am going to buy all seven series on dvd, slim packaging as thery are cheapper. My two faviorate caracters are:- Quark - as he is really funny and looks funny with them big ears and he is always getting into trouble. Constable Odo - he is very cool alien, he can change into object as is made from liquid, he alway has an argument and don't always get on very well find with Quark. my other favirote characters are:-
    Chief Miles O'Brien, Lt. Commander Jadzia Dax, and Nog -Quark's son. The theme tune is my faviorate aswell the best star trek music of them all.
  • Better Than TNG

Deep Space Nine was closer to Star Trek: The Original Series than Next Generation. The characters were better cause they were flawed and more realistic. Granted the first few seasons were mediocre but with the Dominion War it got much better. The two best characters was of course Odo and Quark. You had to know that the actors who played them loved them. The conflict was like Spock and McCoy but up a notch. Avery Brooks as Captain Sisko was in my opinion the best Captain cause he truly felt the weight of command.
  • A different kind of Trek.

From the beginning DS9 has a different feel than all the incarnations that came before and after it in the franchise. The characters, the set, the writing---all of it was darker than the others. It was the only trek to be set aboard a space station meaning whatever happened had to come to the station instead of the crew going to the action.

I think the characters are deeper than the others treks. There was more time for character exploration because of the fixed location. Even the addition of TNG's Worf worked on this show.

In my opinion it is the most underappreciated of all the trek shows.
  • Deep Space Nine is simply the best Star Trek show ever made!

The premise for Star Trek DS9 sounded like a really bad idea yet it worked and it worked great.

Before DS9 Star Trek was all about endless episodes of space exploration where enterprise would encounter everything from alien space bugs of the week to klingons and romulans. But DS9 is about a basically stationary space station and the people inhabiting it.

This seemed like a really stupid idea to me but the show works superbly and that thanks to the best characters, actors and stories of any Star Trek show.
  • Not everyones cup of tea, that's for sure, but In my personal opinion Deep Space Nine stands as the finest foray into the Star Trek universe, and is excellent SciFi television in it's own right.

Deep Space Nine caused a bit of controversy and criticism during it's run, some long-time Star Trek fans claiming it to be 'Anti-Roddenberry', and whilst I wouldn't go that far, I can certainly see their point. Gone is the utopian future established within The Original Series and, to an extent, The Next Generation. Previous Trek Taboo's, such as religion, racism,sexuality and the horrors of war are acknowledged here and dealt with directly, as opposed to being ignored or pushed to the background. The fact is, Gene Roddenberry would probably never fully approved of Deep Space Nine, especially during the show's later seasons, had he been alive during it's run.

And yet this seemingly detrimental statement is why, I think, Deep Space Nine is the best Star Trek ever to grace our screens. Over the course of it's seven season run, The writers of DS9 were never afraid to push the boundaries on what it means to be a Star Trek show, taking risks with storytelling, character and plot. The story primarily focused on the lives of a group of characters living aboard a star-fleet owned station that guarded an ancient, stable wormhole to another sector of the galaxy. It had an excellent cast of characters, each with there own centric-episodes that explored characters and the universe that the show had been established. With Deep Space Nine you never knew what you were going to get - one week you would be treated to an excellent episode that deals with Time Travel in a unique and interesting way, and the next you're dealing with racism in 1960's New York. The show was wonderfully diverse in its storytelling; moments of action, dark brutality and war are complimented by tales of romance, farce and comedy. How about the tongue-in-cheek episode, 'Little Green Men', in which the capitalist-obsessed Ferengi accidently crash-land on earth in Roswell, in the year 1947? Of course, as is the case with any show in which you are tasked to write 25 episodes a season, Deep Space Nine has it's fair share of stinkers. Some of the stand alone episodes are undeniably bad, especially those found in the early seasons. However, the darker turn that the show takes during the Dominion War, and the storytelling that that turn brings - more than makes up for it later down the line.

Ever since it's inception, the show strived to be a different kind of star trek - here we had a space station as opposed to a starship, stationary as opposed to moving. Character's and story-points couldn't simply 'reset' week after week due to the very nature of the show, and this is naturally lead to over-arching plot threads, season-long character development arcs, and a serialized nature of storytelling that had never before been explored in Star Trek.

Ultimately, this is one of the main stand-out factors of Deep Space Nine - the relatively serialized drama made for more compelling watching, at least in my opinion. I use the 'relatively' because although the show did a great job of building up a large amount of continuing plot and story-arcs, and executed them well, as a show it never really strayed away from the tried and tested, 'individual story of the week' structure, which I feel is a shame. Aside from a couple of excellent, 6 + episode story-arcs in the later seasons, the show was still being written primarily as a show that anybody could tune in to having missed a couple of episodes and not feel lost. I feel that if the writers had managed to convince the studio to allow Deep Space Nine to evolve into a fully episodic show, in the vain of Battlestar or Lost, then it would have been even better. I honestly feel this is a missed opportunity, and it is my biggest gripe with the show... Alas, Deep Space Nine is the closest we are probably ever going to get to a serialized drama set within the Star Trek universe.
  • This was a good solid show...

You know why I liked this show??? Because unlike the other Star Trek series, DS9 showed alot of what everyday life was like. It was not always a new mission or a new planet or a new alien species to communicate with. This show had evryday routine repairs. It had everyday routine convesations between characters. There was even a "Constable" (Odo). Whom I liked as a charater and have to agree with him that Major Kyra was pretty hot. (Laugh)
    I did not always like the commander but did like O'Brien he was a good character. I also like the ship based there later the "Defiant". It was a pretty cool little ship. Overall this was a solid show. Not Great, but good. Good enough to say I liked it.
  • One good show.

Perhaps the most overlooked series of Star Trek has to be Deep Space Nine. In my opinion, DS9 had some of the best storylines, writing, and acting of any of the Star Trek genres. I think it also helped that it had some very good actors/actresses as well as some spectacular writers. Avery Brooks was my favorite actor on the show, but everyone else deserves their fair share of complements. They made the show compelling and managed to get you hooked into their characters rather than the action and drama. Perhaps Deep Space Nine is not as well know as the other Star Trek series, but it certainly is just as good if not better.
    Thank You.
  • Some of the Best Trek

When this series first started, many doubted that the space station setting and other factors could ever equal a great Star Trek show. I have to say, though, that DS9 is the best overall Trek series. TNG and the Original Series might have had some of the best (or best loved) characters, but DS9 has the best chemistry, the best plots, and more great episodes than the other Treks. This show is still under-appreciated, and it doesn't get REALLY good until the second season. But seasons 4-6 are some of the most satisfying sci-fi I have ever seen.
  • Deeper Trek

Arguably the best of the Star Trek series, Deep Space Nine was a groundbreaking science-fiction show that changed television. On the forefront of serial storytelling, the show was able to develop continuing stories throughout multiple episodes and seasons as never before, and to create deep, rich characters in both the primary and supporting cast. Free of Gene Roddenberry's creative control, Deep Space Nine was able to explore the dark and gritty side of humanity, delivering provocative and challenging television about the sociopolitical issues of the day. It presented a bold vision of Star Trek that was full of colorful and compelling characters that produced the most dramatic and action packed Trek of the franchise.
  • Best Star Trek series!

This series was the best one out of all of the Star Trek series. The plot lines were mature, the characters were very well developed, and the writing was fantastic. It was darker than the other series, which was what made it so appealing. The episode were never boring or repetitive. The special effects were especially good, with many great battle sequences. I was sad to see the end of the series.
  • There are only two words that can truly describe Deep Space Nine ... absolutely brilliant!

I am ashamed to admit now that I am one of the many Star Trek fans out there that voiced their skepticism when the premise of DS9 was announced several years back. Thankfully though, I was proven wrong, not to mention hooked by the very first episode.

With a strong cast, and interestingly vivid storylines (It's also a serial!! Which is a major bonus in my book.) has possibly made Deep Space 9 the greatest show of the entire Star Trek franchise.

Nothing can compare to the indepth view into the Star Trek Universe that Deep Space Nine offers it's fans. Religion, politics, culture ... it's all here. It is near impossible to verbalize how captivating this show is. All I can do is suggest that you check it out for yourself, and enjoy!

• Love it or hate it - the most radicaly different Trek

People love or hate DS9, and usually for the same reason. It is so much different then all the other Star Treks incarnations. I love it, for two main reasons. The characters, and the extendended storylines. Because the location was a stationary space station the characters who lived there stuck around, season after season. This ment minor characters became more and more developed untill they were actually on the show just as much (and sometimes more in the case of poor Jake Sisko) then the regulars. This huge number of characters opened up tons of storylines. And the extended storylines are great. Events build from one season to the next, untill the final two seasons become an epic serialized war drama. It would be hard to jump in uninitiated at that point but for people that have been invested the payoff was enormous.

definitely one of my favorite star trek spinoffs - of all of the ones, much more original than TNG (which was pretty much ST without kirk banging chicks every planent) as far as general concept goes. plus, who doesn't love commander dax ;)

as a whole, there were definite ups and downs - there are seasons that were at best "meh". fortunately, there were great arcs (like the various relationships between characters, the whole genetic manipulation thing that went and jumped into the enterprise arc), and these kept the show going. and definitely, ending it at season seven was, as they say, a good thing.
  • Deep Space Nine has a very interesting history and storyline, intertwining with Next Generation in picking up where Picard, at the time, the assimilated Borg Qutanis, destroyed Cmdr. Sisko's ship, losing his wife. Then he's assigned to oversee the Cardasi

The show over the course of its tenure gives the variety of drama and adventure from the visions Sisko receives about his destiny as the Emissary and his role in the fulfillment of the Bajourians prophecies, the eventual alliance with the Klingons against the Dominion [who would have every thought that Klingons and the Federation would stop being sworn enemies?], the kindred spirit that Worf found in Jadzia Dax and his coming to terms with his son, Alexander, now an adult since his appearance on the Enterprise when Worf was a crew member there. And lets us not forget the scheming Quark and his bumbling but well intended brother Nog and his son, Rom. Where would the show have been without Quarks, the holo-suites and the ongoing bickering between Quark and Odo, who ran a tighter ship than Sisko at times.

Through the course of the years, each of the characters evolves, makes changes and reveal their true hearts. Example, Quark, although solely interested in gold pressed Latium, shows a seeming sensitivity whenever his mother, Mookie, shows up on the ship, of course, it was all for profit.

Worf shows his strength and dedication to Cmdr. Sisko on several occasions, but even as a Klingon, he shows how he too is impervious to the emotional pain caused by the lost of his wife, Jadzia in battle and then risking his life to ensure that she finds her place in Stovalcore. And of course, there\'s Sisko--a complicated man, very reserved and to himself, but shows a deep caring for his family--his son and his father, who still chooses to live on Earth in New Orleans. Hey I\'m not mad at him, even in the distant future, there\'s still a place for Gumbo and ettouffe, that\'s all right.

The most emotional time for Sisko is when he finds himself in the alternate reality where he encounters Jennifer, his deceased wife, though very much alive in the alternate reality and learns that his now deceased alter ego in the parallel universe is killed in the resistance, wasn\'t such a nice guy towards Jennifer. You see Sisko struggling to cope with his reality, where Jennifer is gone, and then cope with the alternate reality where Jennifer is very much alive and hates him just as much because of the years of unfaithfulness and grief she was caused. But all more the painful is when he reveals that he isn\'t \'her\' Benjamin, but it was the Benjamin she wished for, but he has to return to the realm where he belongs. Both painful to them both. That was by far the most venerable the Commander had become.

Though in the last episode, it left all of its loyal followers hanging in the lurch, so to speak. It simply leaves with Sisko going to join the prophets, leaving behind his new wife. Could there possibly be a Deep Space Nine movie? Who knows? But it would definitely give the DS9 fans some since of closure as to what next happens to Sisko, the Bajourians and the actual fulfillment of the prophecies that was always spoken about.
  • This adition to the Star Trek series was so good, I really wish they had made heaps more of DS9 and also Voyager. It was great and Funny while it lasted.

I loved the DS9 series and the Voyager Series, and yeah the SG-1 series. I have watched these series so much that I love Sci-Fi. DS9 was different to voyager because it had more of a war-like feel with the dominion and all. Although the graphics isn't as good as all the new shows around now, they did very well 10 years ago when it was released. I loved all the Funny moments with Quark and Odo, and Doctor Bashir with the chief. And I hated the death of Jadzia, but it was a bit cool with Ezri on the show, and it was pretty good that the Doc finally found someone. It was great!
  • I absolutely loved this show...

It's a shame that DS9 got canceled, because I really loved the show; granted I've only watched the shows while in reruns, but that doesn't mean that I don't like it.

One of the things I really like about this particular episode is that they finally killed off Kai Winn; I *really* disliked the woman. I'm not entirely sure why though; I think it's partly related to the fact that for someone in such a high position in the spiritual life, she doesn't have much faith... not the good kind, anyways.

As for Dukat, I'm kinda glad his suffering is finally at an end. The loss of his daughter really seemed to through him for a loop, despite Ziyal being an illegitimate child... he really seemed to love Ziyal anyways... so to him, the loss would be real.

I never really cared for the fact that they killed off Ziyal...

I do wish that they'd started Kassidy's pregnancy much earlier than what they did, as it would've been nice to see how that part of her life turned out... (and not just in the DS9 books).

Just means it leaves us to the imaginations, eh?
  • Very original star trek series. Great one too!

I think Deep Space Nine is the best of the Star Trek series. We don't have an enterprise flying around and discovering "strange new worlds", what we have is a space station with its crew that everyday has to deal with many people from many different worlds,so that we can see the Star Trek world from a different point of view. I think the idea was perfect: we deal with strange people from the other side of the galaxy, thanks to the wormhole, and try to protect Bajor from the Dominion and Cardassia. I can't explain why but i loved the whole plot from the very first episode so I strongly recommend to all Star Trek fans to watch this. It's worth it!
  • Re-watch this show, you might be surprised...

Ok here is my own little admission...I did not see alot of the first two seasons when this show originally aired. I hated DS9. I guess I bought into the whole "poor step-son of Star Trek" theory the effected people. TNG series was ending and had loved that series and charactors. By the time TNG ended, DS9 started into the Dominion War and started thinking "thats cool." So for a long time I thought those 2 first season were so weak just like every other Star Trek series.
    Fast forward several years, and I see reruns of TNG and think "you know, this ok." But when I watch reruns of DS9 I appreciate the series more then when I original saw it, even the first 2 seasons. I started to see how the actors and stories were actually shaping at the very beginning. Now that you know how it ends, the beginning does not look like a waste. This darker like at the Star Trek universe might the best vision because it was on it's own from the others. Rewatch it with an open mind, you might be rewareded.
  • The darker side of Trek.

I liked this view of the universe. Things weren't as neat and clean on DS9 as they sometimes seemed on the Enterprise. I liked the intrigue. I liked the grey areas of characters like Garak. Where the characters of the earlier series were more clearly "good" or "bad", the characters on DS9 were neither and both. Some of the politics got to be overwhelming, but otherwise, this was another spectacular incarnation of Star Trek.
  • The ST that dared to be different!

You want to know why Sci Fi on TV today is so good these days? Its because these shows are either influenced by or written by the 176 epic series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. DS9 is the ST that dared to be different. There's no doubt in my mind Gene Roddenberry would of hated it. Plot arcs, flawed characters, shades of grey, corrupt Federation, WAR!!! This show was such a step up from the safe and happy confines of Picard and crew on the Enterprise. And that is why I can understand people not liking it. That and Avery Brooks' totally mad acting style. Occasionally he was superbly Shakespearean other times he was wooden and OTT. He is far from the best actor ST has had but he did a good job most of the time and is incredibly watchable. Most of the rest of the cast is perfect, there are simply too many names to mention, there were so many great characters. The writing especially from the third season onwards was superb, a shining example for any writer. The show was flawed and would of been much better with less episodes in a season and more focus on its arcs but what we have here is a near perfect Sci Fi epic that is guranteed to become any Sci Fi fans new favourite show.
  • Good science fiction, bad Star Trek. Great show.

Of all the spin-offs of Star Trek, DS9 is my favorite. Why? I'm so glad you asked.

I prefer continuing storylines, more challenging plotlines, deeper and more developed characters. I like new worlds, and by that I don't mean new planets and aliens every week, I like the culture of the show. Getting to come to this new world everyweek. Not just a starship, hermetically sealed and bounding about a universe. This was a world, unchanging (to an extent) where we could discover and delve to loo deeper into the mythos...

I suppose that's it. Looking Deeper. Delving deeper into these characters and this world...watching it expand and grow. Getting darker.

Sure, the show had it's missteps... took a while to find it's voice. I'm glad this show came around at a time when the networks were willing to give shows a chance, when the words Star Trek had clout.

I loved the characters on this show, the growth they got to encounter. The fact that things didn't always re-set after each episode. The fact that at the end of the series these people, even the minor characters learned and grew. They changed.

This show proved that Science Fiction didn't have to be about exploration and new aliens every week. It could be about people and situations, about characters and how they reacted. We got to live in the headgame of the show with the moral and ethical quandries they faced. We got to see and feel what they felt through the talented actors.

It's always a shame that the major award shows look past sci-fi. The brilliant acting behind masks and make-up that was seen on this show Armin Shimmerman, Andrew Robinson, Rene Auberjonois, Max Grodenchik, Marc Alaimo....superb. Top notch work...but no recognition. And that's the tragedy of this show.

Maybe Deep Space Nine wasn't what Gene Rodenberry had intended, but that doesn't mean it should be snubbed. It was a well made show that I continue to watch over and over again in syndication and DVD. I've seen all the episodes of TNG. I don't need to go back there. DS9...I love visiting and re-visiting that outpost in the stars.

If you like challenging stories and continuing plotlines, growing and developing will too.

< 1 2 3 4