Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Syndicado (ended 1999)

beowulf579

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Fan Reviews (116)

• An imaginative concept gone astray

4.5
    Back in the 90s, when I first heard all the hype about this show coming out and being a "DARK" vision of Star Trek, I actually expected that I was going to see some kind of Gothic "Dark Shadows in space" [am I dating myself with that reference? :-)] where the crew travels to strange places and has bizarre adventures that would actually be scary! But instead the whole show just ended up becoming a bad soap opera involving a few eye-candy main characters and some bizarre-looking humanoid races that are trying to dominate each other, and rather mundane silliness involving devious Ferengis and scantily clad bar ladies. The plot lines seem to have very little depth beyond this. Frankly, the aliens in most sci-fi shows like this today seem rather boring. Where are the really interesting ones, like the "Taelons" in "Earth Final Conflict"? Also, I would have liked to see them make Deep Space Nine a slightly weirder place, perhaps putting in some unexplored dimensions harboring a few deep, dark secrets -- things that instill a sense of wonder and transcend the predictable. If somebody is traveling through a space wormhole, I want him to encounter something really unusual that makes the trip worthwhile. How about some interesting MONSTERS that may or may not be intelligent but look like something other than mutant humanoids? Maybe also a narrator ruminating a bit about what weird, unimaginable horrors we have to look forward to. Maybe even some tongue-in-cheek silliness too as long as it's actually funny! This was done quite well back in the 60s with shows like "Lost in Space", but unfortunately, today's producers rarely seem to have the imagination to come up with such material! If they ever do, however, I would be much more interested in watching.

• Better Than TNG

Deep Space Nine was closer to Star Trek: The Original Series than Next Generation. The characters were better cause they were flawed and more realistic. Granted the first few seasons were mediocre but with the Dominion War it got much better. The two best characters was of course Odo and Quark. You had to know that the actors who played them loved them. The conflict was like Spock and McCoy but up a notch. Avery Brooks as Captain Sisko was in my opinion the best Captain cause he truly felt the weight of command.
  • The Best of Trek: Deep Space Nine

I want to start this by saying that I consider myself a fan of television before any sort of genre, though I do tend to gravitate to social satire and speculative fiction (my favorite being The Twilight Zone as it has an anthology component). I enjoy watching all sorts of television programs as I am just looking for something good to watch regardless of the genre.

That being said I did very much enjoy watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and when I was very young I enjoyed its predecessor. And while I watched all of it with my roommates I did not like Enterprise all that much (except for maybe the Mirror Episode). As I have already reviewed it I won't go into my thoughts on Voyager here. Now we come to the topic of my review: Deep Space Nine.

I freely admit DS9 wasn't what I had expected when I began to watch it. TNG was still on the air when DS9 premiered and a friend had invited me over for Sunday dinner. We sat about with his parents, and what we termed the monster (his little sister) to catch this trippy thought-provoking two hour series premiere.

After it was over I remember we talked about it, one might even say argued. It was so very different than what we had some to know as Star Trek. My friend and I weren't sure what to make of it and in the midst of our debate his father, who had sat quietly with his newspaper in his hands throughout the show, blurted out -the way fathers sometimes do- his unsolicited opinion: I liked it!

We stared at him dumbfounded as if to say, "Old timer, we get you just want to be heard no one ever listens to you these days, probably because you really just don't get it, and you want to say something. So go ahead we'll humble ourselves by hearing you out, for sure we will also put some karma in the bank for our old age"

As we saintly young boys listened to the old man (frightfully not that old from my current point of view) he explained that this show was more philosophy then TNG, and thought provoking in a different way. He asked us who this Commander Sisko was, was it really HIM or would it have been any outsider who did what he did be the Emissary? What was this religion based around these aliens who lived outside of time? He quoted us Clarke saying, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from

He then suggested that this would be a series to watch, that it was dangerous and even subversive as it would make you question beliefs the way the Trek before it questions science and culture.

He then speculated on what would be on the other side of the wormhole... If it's that far away it might be something humans would have issues understanding and may even be frightened of. Perhaps that was where these wormhole aliens came from? Perhaps they are demons to the creatures on the other side of this wormhole? Or perhaps it would be something else entirely?

At first we wondered how the old-timer even knew of Arthur C. Clarke and what was it his business to tell us what was and wasn't going to be something special. What did he know, my gosh had they even walked on the moon before he was born?! In the end we told him, 'he might have something there' and retired to a more private place for the real minds to discuss the merits of the new TV series.

I didn't know it then but in retrospect it was like he had been as if he were trying to explain to the fools in Treasure of the Sierra Madre that they had been standing on the gold the entire time.

I remember the series seemed to drag on a bit after that, but it had O'Brien on it and Odo seemed interesting, Quark was riot and of course and that Doctor Bashir had an appearance on TNG with Data. Despite the strange start things with DS9 seemed to follow the usual Trek formula, at least for the most part. There were some interesting stories featuring: Q, Garak, Dax, The Nagus, the return of the Mirror Universe and of course Kor, Koloth & Kang.

Then, all of a sudden, DS9 was the only Trek on television and as you kept watching the series it kept getting better, the mystery of the Dominion was being to go somewhere and by the time Generations came out DS9 was basically Star Trek. It didn't matter that the crew wasn't off charting new sectors of space nor was it a problem that they didn't physically "boldly go" where none have gone before.

Trek had become less about the trekking and more with the sitting in once place letting others trek to them. And somewhere between the introduction of Garak, Vedek Winn going toe-to-toe with Keiko O'Brien and the episode MERIDIAN that I realized this show didn't need to be TNG, if it had been I would have just pined for Picard and Data, this was different this was the future.

The unsure feelings I had felt were just the rumbles of change, and while DS9 may not have been speeding through space but it still had a lot going on. With a crew that featured TNG's O'Brien a now Worf on top of an ever growing cast of secondary; Nog, Rom, Dukat, Winn, Damar, Martok, Weyoun, Ziyal, Kasidy Yates, Admiral Ross and of course Morn.

More importantly it seemed to have some of the best story in Trek history; Cardassians, Rules of Acquisition, The House of Quark, Past Tense, Improbable Cause, Lost, Hard Time, Nor the Battle to the Strong, Things Past, Soldiers of the Empire, Children of Time, Rocks and Shoals, Inquisition, Valiant, Time's Orphan, The Siege of AR-558 and many more...

While this was all very impressive what really made the series so good, the reason I began to really like DS9 so much was that it storytelling was not strictly episodic. That is to say those things which happen in one episode of the series could and would have ramifications for the next episode or perhaps 10 episodes down the line. This was a huge departure from the 0-to-0 episodes of TNG, which were good but lacked a feeling of cohesion. With TNG it was almost as if you could jumble up their episodes and watch them in just about any order, because very few things would affect a character or a situation in the future. Sure it would be nice to see them first meet the Borg before they meet Hugh, it didn't matter all that much because the main point of the show never changed. That was not the case on DS9, well not always anyway.

If that wasn't enough this series became epic! The more it went on the more it built up to longer and more involved story arcs and character arcs. It's the mother of shows like BSG and Lost. From the first to the last there were stories that grew in layers, characters who became more defined and focused. As the series went on the crew suffered and struggled, won and lost, they tried very hard to hold onto their ideals as the universe changed around them but weren't always successful. It became something more than a problem of the week show, like its predecessors.

Here, on DS9, we saw Klingon's lament and Human's rage. We saw Jake Sisko admit his heroic actions were those of irrational fear. We said Doctor Bashir fight for months to stop a disease only to receive a hollow victory. We saw generations die on an alien planet, love lamented and actual good advice given, not only by a Captain, but by a holographic lounge singer.

Some reviews have accused DS9 of not always producing a great episode, and sure there was cheese, and the occasional silly episode a chance for the crew to wear tuxes and pull of a sting or play spy in the holodeck, but those 'throwaway eps' were opportunities for cast and crew to have fun and often you get a look into characters you might not have been able to had it not occurred.

Which makes DS9 more than any of other series, to me, is the most rewatchable with the ability to stand up to the test of time (though Kira's hairstyles might not). Just recently I rewatched the story where the Dominion made a terrorist attack on the Federation (Homefront/Paradise Lost) and it affected me.

The Dominion attack and aftermath recalled 2001 to me, as a New Yorker I was scared by the attack and the steps taken to make sure it never happens again. Here, nearly half a decade before it. Trek asked questions I still wonder about: How far is too far when it comes to being safe?! How many compromises in our freedoms can we stand to protect ourselves? Can we really ever be safe from something like this?

Say what you will about TNG, and admit it was a great series; it never took us to the places this synchronously orbiting space station took us to.

Some reviews have reported negative things about the series finale, the relationships and characters at the forefront of the final season. Yet again, in the end, this series had more great Trek episodes, more space battles, more weird science and more philosophical dilemmas than all of the other three series put together.

To me DS9 is a kind of poetry, a television poetry that shouldn't even exist because it's too good--too original. And if it hadn't had the "Trek" name before it likely it wouldn't. If it hadn't been made in the days of 'sold to syndication' it would have probably compromised too much to become the gem it is. It was able to do things shows like Defying Gravity or Nowhere Man never had the chance to do. It was true and unbridled social satire (what the genre of SF is really all about) and because the action had to come to them relationships were deeper, more important. We couldn't have the 0-to-0 storytelling that TNG or TOS used. Because when you don't leave things behind they are never neat and clean in the end, in fact things never really ended the story of DS9 continued even after the last episode.

When it was on I once said to a friend it was arguably the best Trek series ever made... many years, two television series and several movies later I realize there is no argument about it! To me it is something more than what came before and after it, in some sense perhaps the pinnacle of what Star Trek could and can be. In short it is THE BEST OF TREK!
  • best ever

Ds9 was the star trek series I kept going back to. Good god was it awesome. Epic confrontations, cool alien makeup, Quark and Odo going at each other like a old couple, It was great. The captain in this series is my favorite. Sysco was a combination of Kirks willing to fight and Picards negotiation skills. The other crew members had the most variety from all the others with 3 aliens and a biologically enhanced man. Also, the first Indian joined star treks major crew members roster. The ending to the show was not all that good though. Chief goes off with his wife to earth and teaches at the academy, Bashire and Dax hook up and stay on the station, Quark stays, Keria ( my least favorite of the group) becomes Captian, and Sysco has to spend the rest of his life with an alien out in space. Odo gets the same ending too. He has to spend time with his own kind. He earleir was going on about being the last shapeshifter. now their a whole planet out of them. Over all, this is a must watch for all fans of star trek and sci fi.
  • Some of the Best Trek

When this series first started, many doubted that the space station setting and other factors could ever equal a great Star Trek show. I have to say, though, that DS9 is the best overall Trek series. TNG and the Original Series might have had some of the best (or best loved) characters, but DS9 has the best chemistry, the best plots, and more great episodes than the other Treks. This show is still under-appreciated, and it doesn't get REALLY good until the second season. But seasons 4-6 are some of the most satisfying sci-fi I have ever seen.
  • Deeper Trek

Arguably the best of the Star Trek series, Deep Space Nine was a groundbreaking science-fiction show that changed television. On the forefront of serial storytelling, the show was able to develop continuing stories throughout multiple episodes and seasons as never before, and to create deep, rich characters in both the primary and supporting cast. Free of Gene Roddenberry's creative control, Deep Space Nine was able to explore the dark and gritty side of humanity, delivering provocative and challenging television about the sociopolitical issues of the day. It presented a bold vision of Star Trek that was full of colorful and compelling characters that produced the most dramatic and action packed Trek of the franchise.
  • Sisko Rules

DS9 is my all time Favorite of the Entire Star Trek Universe.I have the Entire Series on DVD.Ben Sisko was the Best of all the Captains.I Love that DS9 was so filled with darkness and Doubt.Like Our would today.Next Generation,for me,Was TOO Pollyanna,Made me sick!Voyager was too Lost In Space!The Original series was O.K. ,The First Couple Hundred Times.Enterprise?Was a QUANTAM LEAP Backward.
  • Bordering on dreck at times.

I always expected Captain Sisko to break into a song & dance routine with his big basso profundo voice-grabbing the nearest alien with a tree growing out of the top of their head and doing a robot waltz singing at the top of his lungs. Or maybe thats just me...his son was normal enough though. The Feneghi based episodes were a touch much in my opinion. The decor was Kardasian & was terrible as a result which gave the show an air of contrived cheapness but other than that it was fine. I thought Major Kira was good character-one of few good characters on the show. Who couldn't make jokes about Odo.....what is he today? A plant pot or maybe a chair-what an amazing fellow he isn't.
  • ds9 latest update

3.5
    I came to bury caeser, not to praise him. I finally watch all the ds9 now that I'm retired. And i 'm glad I did. Cause I can fast forward over the boring parts. I have to agree with a couple of people here. The over - acting was sometimes painful. When the maqui security commander when over to the other side I was rooting for him. Bernie casey was so out of place on this show. Jake was such an annoyance after he grew up. The love scenes between kira and berial were really gross. Worf and ezri never worked together well. And also the stories about earth past in the 20th century. I can't get over hollywood facination with the 1920-to 1950's. Every scifi movie always have to have that time period included. It worked well with the original startrek, there was a purpose. But not on every startrek show please. Overall DS9 was the best startrek.
  • great show

This show is great. i mean the writing is just is so good and emotional. I loved how some of the episodes were very dark and some made u think alot. Some were just so crazy it was really great. This show seriously got me hooked everything about is great. It starts off little slow but u have to stick with it and youll see how awesome this show really is. Theres not to much more i can say other then its a masterpiece so go watch it now, if u never have its on netflix for instant streaming. Sometimes i even think i like it even better then the next generation. Because this was the first series not created by gene rodenberry the creators explore alot of uncahrted territory and go all out. I highly recommend this show to any star trek fan youll definetly fall in love wit it
  • DS9 in one word? Overrated. Oh, it’s a good series… but the overacting at times is more than I can deal with. Bojarans?! Who cares about Bojarans!? Anyway… check it out… this show will make you care… but in my case… it may be caring in the hatred way.

Ben Sisko… how I love your overacting! I mean my god…. I really appreciated the African American lead… but isn’t there some stereotyping when Q shows up, and he’s the only captain that gets into a fist fight with the omnipotent being?! I don't want the only brother Captain to be the Tyson of captains :'( It's all good though. Anyway, this show is very good.. but there are things that hold it from being the best Trek.
    1. Ferengi- Yuck. Worthless.
    2. Sisko kissing grown azz Jake…. Jake was like 28 years old and still getting kissed on by his pops like he was an infant.
    3. The Defiant. How “convienant they give Sisko the baddest ship in the fleet even though he works at a stationary slave base. Luckily other captains didn’t need it… like those who actually traversed the galaxy in exploration!
    4. Deseree Dax… personally they should have just let Dax die… that new chick was cute…. So cute it made me sick.

The show had a good plot with the war and all but Odo didn’t cause me to attach any sympathy to his whiny sniveling angry self. Quark… my god… I didn’t care for the Ferengi one bit…. Or ROM! I hate his guts... I mean what was rom other than a goofy excuse to show quarks shallowness? This show was pretty good… but not the best of the treks… If you like a soap opera type shows… that are slow and lets you get attached to the characters then this is the show for you. They kill a lot of people!!! A lot of people die! A lot of the federation is massacred… you have to like that outcome. For while I love trek.. I hate the federation mightily… Just look at what Janeway is!(Preposition!) Self righteous, piece of crap. DS9 is definitely worth the watch.
  • 3rd Of The Franchise Reviews

Now, I know there is an on going battle of wills…and words…about this series installment, Deep Space Nine. There are those that like it and those that don’t. I’m afraid I’m one of those that don’t.

I know that it maintains a great continuity of current Trek canon. I know that it actually pivots Next Gen and Voyager together. I also know that it created stories that tranversed into the films. But it doesn’t matter if the story…the actual setting…is weak.

I found Deep Space Nine to be a Space Soap, Hotel in Space…General Hospital Of The Federation. It was preachy, moody and too personality filed to be of anything dynamic. God, if I saw one more holo-deck episode I was going to scream.

The last 2 seasons were good. The Dominion War gave the series a boost back into what Trek and Sci-Fi is. But it was frankly too little too late. I just really didn’t care about what happened on Bajor, or to their religious culture.

I rank this series a 7, only because of it’s ground breaking CGI introductions, its grounding in Trek canon and its maintenance of old Trek values. But other than that…It’s boring.

This series is available on DVD but was terribly high priced. It is now available at half the cost by some retail outlets.
  • don't have time...read the review

i liked the show when it first started, but it was cindemned to evolve in a tyrpical sf/soap opera. i mean, you really can't have million sf shows without them starting to repeat the same character and plot paradigms. there is the wise, but energetic captain, some sort of technically developed or enhanced being like the doctor, the wise councellor, and, offcurse the loyal staff.

the dynamic setting (station in deep space as the crossing point for travellers of all species) helps, but its potential is eventually exausted by ever-repeating moral dillemas and predictable resolutions (always tough, but fair,made by the wise captain with the help from the loyal crew)...you can see it going down the hill.
  • I started out watching this show with great anticipation of what was ahead, but was soon disappointed. With the types of plots written and the redundancy of story lines, it could have been shot in Ralph Cramden's kitchen, except not as funny.

The fact that the setting was in deep space and right next to a wormhole that could take the cast to the far reaches of the Galaxy gave it ENORMOUS potential for story line of distant civilations both good and bad. It seemed like it took forever to play out the scenario that lead them to war with the Dominion and there were so many wasted opportunities to go beyond the status quo and search out new life and new civilizations and boldly go where no man has gone before.

After a while I felt like I was watching a show that for the most part could have been set in any town in the good old USA, without the Star Trek setting, and would possibly have been more entertaining.

They had the occasinal show that took them through the wormhole, but most of the time they just stayed onboard Deep Space Nine, and dealt with their hum-drum daily lives at home.

The final episode beckoned me back, and I'm glad I watched, because it was the type of story that should have been told all along, but it died with a whimper and not a bang, unfortunately for all us Trek fans who longed for adventure through the wormhole
  • What's the first Star Trek series without Gene Roddenberry like? Well....

5.5
    Star Trek DS9 was the first Star Trek series that was not created by Gene Roddenberry. So what are the results of this new venture? Would it live up to the previous series: Star Trek: The Next Generation? Will it continue Roddenberry's legacy? Lot's of people say yes, lot's of people say no, but I'm one of the folks who tend to see this series as the bottom of the barrel for Star Trek.
    We all know about TNG. The absolute pinnacle of Trek goodness. The stories were consistently interesting, and though it did delve into social issues, it didn't delve too far, and most folks agreed with those issues. Acting was good and most people agree it very much deserved its long run.
    Though DS9 presents a mildly interesting story and cool space battles in "The Dominion Wars", the rest of the time, well, it's a show about a space station, it can't get too exciting. A lot of the stories involve weird religious and political overtones that the writers push and push and push.
    Even though some minor characters from TNG come over(Worf, O'Brien), it's just not enough to make this show worth watching. Cue the angry feedback. This disapointing follow up to TNG just doesn't merit much. Remember, it's a show about a space station.
  • An enjoyable show, with interesting characters and a whole lot of TREK.

Star Trek came out in 1966, it was alright, but not that good because of a lack of technology. Then came the animated series, which I can tell you nothing about. Next was The Next Generation, which I thought was perfect. Then came Deep Space Nine, which I learnt to be the best. Commander (later Captain) Benjamin Lafayette Sisko is sent to Deep Space Nine as it's Commander. While there, they learn that there is a wormwhole, and Sisko has the distinct honour of being the first person to go through it an meet with the 'wormhole aliens', or, as they are known on Bajor, 'the Prophets'. Thus, he is given the title of 'Emissary to the Prophets' and is made the spiritual leader of Bajor, while the elected political leader, Kai Winn, a power-hungry Bajoran, can't stand to give the fame and prestige that come with such a position. Among his crew are:
    Bajoran Liaison Officer Major (later Colonel) Kira Nerys.
    Lieutenant Commander Jadzia Dax; a Trill who has a symbiont inside of her, which gives her the memories of the last seven of it's 'hosts', including that of Sisko's old mentor.
    Odo, the shapeshifting constable who had served for the Cardassians (a hostile alien power) who had onced controlled Bajor and the station. Commander Worf, the Klingon starfleet commander from the USS-Enterprise-D
    Doctor Julian Bashir, the English (Siddig el Fadil was born in the Sudan, but raised in England) doctor whose genetically-engineered traits were hidden for years from starfleet.
    Chief Engineer Miles Edward O'Brien, the transporter officer from Transporter Room 3, aboard the Enterprise; always trying to be better than his good friend, Bashir, with whom he spent most of his free time in the holodeck.
    Quark, the Ferengi bartender who always had a money making scheme, and a threat from Odo. While he claims to love money, he sometimes shows that he truly cares about is brother, Nog, and nephew, Rom.
  • Holocaust Trek

DS9 entailed a "serious" approach for the franchise. After TOS and TNG light-hearted, sometimes childish, plot, the producers decided to expand on the Bajoran side of the series. Bajor,a former Cardassian Empire annexed and occupied planet, is now free thanks to its resistance and the Federation. During the Cardassian occupation, Bajorans were submitted to painful torture methods, biogenetic experimentation and slave labouring -sounds familiar? As in Poland during WWI?-. Comparisons can't be avoided; it is what it is. It must be highlighted that the show never mocks nor parodies the events of WWII. All episodes have been written with respect and the main characters are the most likeable of any of the franchise's iteration until now, including the new film.

However, the first three seasons were slow, really slow but they served to bring about the Bajoran world, culture and myth that, in the end of the series, became the core of the plot. The Bajorans faith has been built upon the Prophets -as in Jewish Prophets?-, entities from an extradimensional realm [separated from the space time continuum] that communicate through Orbs, light-emmiting bubbles of energy of different colours. These orbs are quite powerful since they can be used to predict the future, among other things. That is why the Bajorans, the Cardassians and the Federation keep fighting each-other, to possess and control those orbs. the story takes place on an abandoned Cardassian station that, coincidentally, happens to be close the only stable wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant. This wormhole becomes active after the arrival of commander Benjamin Sisko, the new federation station commander. Curiously, when the wormhole opens, he gets swallowed by it and inside he finds the Prophets; they tell him he is the new emissary -as in Mosses or Enoch-. So, after all the trouble that Bajor has gone through, the new Federation ambassador to Bajor and the emissary of the Prophets is a human, A HUMAN! Bajorans are very superstitious people and, as a consequence, their clergy becomes over zealous about this "celestial happening" since their followers will likely do as the Emissary says instead of their bidding: this is the main plot of DS9, control over the population by religious means. Later after season 3, things change due to the discovery of a new galactic superpower from the Gamma quadrant, The Dominion. To put it simply, it is a sort of huge guild comprised of several other guilds [warriors, traders, scientists and spies] controlled by a small group of "anamorphic" aliens that pose as gods to all this minor guilds -yes, gods... oh, the irony!-

It is a shame that this show had to compete against Babylon 5, a nice show though ridiculous: after season 4 the Prophets became entities capable of possessing humanoid bodies and giving them godlike super powers -sad-. By the end of the show the Federation, the Cardassians, The Dominion, the Bajorans, the Prophets and the Romulans [?] were mixed together to bring about a conceptual mess that came from poorly mixing together fantasy and science-fiction genres just for the sake of ratings.

Note: DS9 FX hadn't been nice until season 4, when the producers decided to go full 3D CGFX to compete against Babylon 5 [again] since B5 was built around this FX standard from the beginning, which awarded it an Emmy for Outstanding Visual Effects, an accolade that Star Trek lacks.
  • Wonderful Show - WHY are there no reruns? I want to see the beginning of it.

Wonderful Show - loved that the characters were in an actual "small town" setting on the space station and that the action came to them -- and there was more character interaction and depth instead of just "shoot-em-up-bang-bang" fillers. WHY are there no reruns? I want to see the beginning of it. It was the best Star Trek I'd ever seen (and I've seen em all except this one) - I only got to see the last 10 or so episodes and then it was over. I programmed my DISH box to record all the eps when they came back on, but they never did - and it's been a year - when do we get the reruns from the start again?
  • definitely one of my favorite star trek spinoffs - of all of the ones, much more original than TNG (which was pretty much ST without kirk banging chicks every planent) as far as general concept goes. plus, who doesn't love commander dax ;)

as a whole, there were definite ups and downs - there are seasons that were at best "meh". fortunately, there were great arcs (like the various relationships between characters, the whole genetic manipulation thing that went and jumped into the enterprise arc), and these kept the show going. and definitely, ending it at season seven was, as they say, a good thing.
  • While watching this show I cried, Laughted, Felt happy and sad, Its definetly in my Top 3 shows ever.

The only Star Trek series not taking place on a Starship and instead a spacestation, Its my personal favorite of the five.
    Deep Space Nine is alot darker then its predecesors focusing alot on war against the Dominion from the Gamma quadrant, And the tension between federation and cardassian borders, More so since Deep Space Nine works as a guard to the first stable wyrmhole wich makes it a target for alot of various factions.
    One thing that did this show better was Miles O'brien who played a support roll in The Next Generation got a permanent spot on this show, And alot of episodes has him in the center, And it really worked well to have a familiar face around, Worf joins the team in later seasons aswell.
    While watching this show I cried, Laughted, Felt happy and sad, Its definetly in my Top 3 shows ever, So if you want to give Star Trek a try, This is a good choice. (Ofcourse I prefer to watch all of them in order for the timeline).
  • Not everyones cup of tea, that's for sure, but In my personal opinion Deep Space Nine stands as the finest foray into the Star Trek universe, and is excellent SciFi television in it's own right.

Deep Space Nine caused a bit of controversy and criticism during it's run, some long-time Star Trek fans claiming it to be 'Anti-Roddenberry', and whilst I wouldn't go that far, I can certainly see their point. Gone is the utopian future established within The Original Series and, to an extent, The Next Generation. Previous Trek Taboo's, such as religion, racism,sexuality and the horrors of war are acknowledged here and dealt with directly, as opposed to being ignored or pushed to the background. The fact is, Gene Roddenberry would probably never fully approved of Deep Space Nine, especially during the show's later seasons, had he been alive during it's run.

And yet this seemingly detrimental statement is why, I think, Deep Space Nine is the best Star Trek ever to grace our screens. Over the course of it's seven season run, The writers of DS9 were never afraid to push the boundaries on what it means to be a Star Trek show, taking risks with storytelling, character and plot. The story primarily focused on the lives of a group of characters living aboard a star-fleet owned station that guarded an ancient, stable wormhole to another sector of the galaxy. It had an excellent cast of characters, each with there own centric-episodes that explored characters and the universe that the show had been established. With Deep Space Nine you never knew what you were going to get - one week you would be treated to an excellent episode that deals with Time Travel in a unique and interesting way, and the next you're dealing with racism in 1960's New York. The show was wonderfully diverse in its storytelling; moments of action, dark brutality and war are complimented by tales of romance, farce and comedy. How about the tongue-in-cheek episode, 'Little Green Men', in which the capitalist-obsessed Ferengi accidently crash-land on earth in Roswell, in the year 1947? Of course, as is the case with any show in which you are tasked to write 25 episodes a season, Deep Space Nine has it's fair share of stinkers. Some of the stand alone episodes are undeniably bad, especially those found in the early seasons. However, the darker turn that the show takes during the Dominion War, and the storytelling that that turn brings - more than makes up for it later down the line.

Ever since it's inception, the show strived to be a different kind of star trek - here we had a space station as opposed to a starship, stationary as opposed to moving. Character's and story-points couldn't simply 'reset' week after week due to the very nature of the show, and this is naturally lead to over-arching plot threads, season-long character development arcs, and a serialized nature of storytelling that had never before been explored in Star Trek.

Ultimately, this is one of the main stand-out factors of Deep Space Nine - the relatively serialized drama made for more compelling watching, at least in my opinion. I use the 'relatively' because although the show did a great job of building up a large amount of continuing plot and story-arcs, and executed them well, as a show it never really strayed away from the tried and tested, 'individual story of the week' structure, which I feel is a shame. Aside from a couple of excellent, 6 + episode story-arcs in the later seasons, the show was still being written primarily as a show that anybody could tune in to having missed a couple of episodes and not feel lost. I feel that if the writers had managed to convince the studio to allow Deep Space Nine to evolve into a fully episodic show, in the vain of Battlestar or Lost, then it would have been even better. I honestly feel this is a missed opportunity, and it is my biggest gripe with the show... Alas, Deep Space Nine is the closest we are probably ever going to get to a serialized drama set within the Star Trek universe.
  • Deep Space Nine has a very interesting history and storyline, intertwining with Next Generation in picking up where Picard, at the time, the assimilated Borg Qutanis, destroyed Cmdr. Sisko's ship, losing his wife. Then he's assigned to oversee the Cardasi

The show over the course of its tenure gives the variety of drama and adventure from the visions Sisko receives about his destiny as the Emissary and his role in the fulfillment of the Bajourians prophecies, the eventual alliance with the Klingons against the Dominion [who would have every thought that Klingons and the Federation would stop being sworn enemies?], the kindred spirit that Worf found in Jadzia Dax and his coming to terms with his son, Alexander, now an adult since his appearance on the Enterprise when Worf was a crew member there. And lets us not forget the scheming Quark and his bumbling but well intended brother Nog and his son, Rom. Where would the show have been without Quarks, the holo-suites and the ongoing bickering between Quark and Odo, who ran a tighter ship than Sisko at times.

Through the course of the years, each of the characters evolves, makes changes and reveal their true hearts. Example, Quark, although solely interested in gold pressed Latium, shows a seeming sensitivity whenever his mother, Mookie, shows up on the ship, of course, it was all for profit.

Worf shows his strength and dedication to Cmdr. Sisko on several occasions, but even as a Klingon, he shows how he too is impervious to the emotional pain caused by the lost of his wife, Jadzia in battle and then risking his life to ensure that she finds her place in Stovalcore. And of course, there\'s Sisko--a complicated man, very reserved and to himself, but shows a deep caring for his family--his son and his father, who still chooses to live on Earth in New Orleans. Hey I\'m not mad at him, even in the distant future, there\'s still a place for Gumbo and ettouffe, that\'s all right.

The most emotional time for Sisko is when he finds himself in the alternate reality where he encounters Jennifer, his deceased wife, though very much alive in the alternate reality and learns that his now deceased alter ego in the parallel universe is killed in the resistance, wasn\'t such a nice guy towards Jennifer. You see Sisko struggling to cope with his reality, where Jennifer is gone, and then cope with the alternate reality where Jennifer is very much alive and hates him just as much because of the years of unfaithfulness and grief she was caused. But all more the painful is when he reveals that he isn\'t \'her\' Benjamin, but it was the Benjamin she wished for, but he has to return to the realm where he belongs. Both painful to them both. That was by far the most venerable the Commander had become.

Though in the last episode, it left all of its loyal followers hanging in the lurch, so to speak. It simply leaves with Sisko going to join the prophets, leaving behind his new wife. Could there possibly be a Deep Space Nine movie? Who knows? But it would definitely give the DS9 fans some since of closure as to what next happens to Sisko, the Bajourians and the actual fulfillment of the prophecies that was always spoken about.
  • This is a very good series of star trek .I have season seven of star trek Deep space nine. So if you decide to get a season of deep space nine may I recommend season seven. I don't know much about "Trills" but their are interesting. And I like romulans.

At least Romulans have a little bit of emotional suppression. But "Vulcan's" they don't have emotion. Now I have a question who are the profits? and who are the parathe's?. I know that the profits are good and the parathe's are evil. I give this show 6 out of 6 stars.
  • My favirate star trek saga - DEEP SPACE NINE.

I love these show so much that I am going to buy all seven series on dvd, slim packaging as thery are cheapper. My two faviorate caracters are:- Quark - as he is really funny and looks funny with them big ears and he is always getting into trouble. Constable Odo - he is very cool alien, he can change into object as is made from liquid, he alway has an argument and don't always get on very well find with Quark. my other favirote characters are:-
    Chief Miles O'Brien, Lt. Commander Jadzia Dax, and Nog -Quark's son. The theme tune is my faviorate aswell the best star trek music of them all.
  • This adition to the Star Trek series was so good, I really wish they had made heaps more of DS9 and also Voyager. It was great and Funny while it lasted.

I loved the DS9 series and the Voyager Series, and yeah the SG-1 series. I have watched these series so much that I love Sci-Fi. DS9 was different to voyager because it had more of a war-like feel with the dominion and all. Although the graphics isn't as good as all the new shows around now, they did very well 10 years ago when it was released. I loved all the Funny moments with Quark and Odo, and Doctor Bashir with the chief. And I hated the death of Jadzia, but it was a bit cool with Ezri on the show, and it was pretty good that the Doc finally found someone. It was great!
  • Agreed; underappreciated...

This ranked 3rd on my list of Star Trek series; 1st being TNG followed closely by the original. This had a darker side and brough much more insight into the aliens created by the series. I particularly liked Daks; she would have been a great choice as the nympo in Star Trek the Movie...
  • Second Sci-Fi Fever! Jutsu!...

Why do I like this show? Three reasons...Cool space-age tech...Awesome outer space battles and wars...And terrific prophets who are always right on their mark! Yes! This is Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. A show that centers on the adventures of Captain Benjamin "Benji" Sisko and other human and alien life forms abord the very large Deep Space Nine secret-edition space station. Viewers will marvel at the fascinating plots and storylines, while watching the characters in action as they become more well-developed. Sadly, this show is no longer producing new episodes. So...To wrap up this review, I will say that this show got better every season because of the reasons I stated above. But being able to watch it means either checking into Spike TV or getting the show on DVD and it is WAY expensive!
  • Relations between the bajorans and cardassians are worse than ever and the federation has agreed to step in,in an effort to quell the infighting .To make matters worse a worm hole was recently discovered which both sides wish to make claim to.

This show has taken a chance and steped out of star treks usual tried and true format of a lone ship thyme which although it worked well was getting mondane.My only problem was that it took too long getting into it but ill admit it made for a great story.The crew seemed alot closer and much more like a family.I also loved the various colourful characters that pass through the base and how they would influence operations.
  • Deep Space is simply the most deep and intersting Star Trek to be created.

Deep space nine is one of the most intriguing and intricate Star Trek series ever to exist. Personally I hate Next generation because the characters are to happy and overall the plot is to positive. In Deep Space nine we get a look into the workings of a space station with real problems such as smuggling and invasions. Captain Sisko is definitely a great captain and he adds a down to earth element to the series. Dominion war is a definite point of intrigue here. The Jem Hadar who are the grunts of the founders., themselves are interesting as they seem mindless killers at first then turn into more complex beings. The Dominion are locked in a war with the federation and not to give the plot away to much it’s a huge struggle that lets us see both sides of the story. The Space Station adds a new element to Star Trek. With a huge station full of bars and shops it is a cultural melting pot of all kinds of interesting races. So DS9 goes into new ground and touches all kinds of topics. I highly recommend this series to Science fiction people.
  • A Star Trek series set on a space station called Deep Space Nine.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was a great show, and it is one of my most favoite Star Trek series of all of them combined. It was fresh and original. All of the characters were great. Dr. Bashir, Ezri Dax, Qaurk, and Jadzia Dax stand out as my favoite. Star Trek:DS9 features some of my all-time favorite Star Trek episodes, especially ones that are about the Romulans which are my favorite race from Star Trek. Star Trek:DS9 had some great storylines, the storyline arc about the dominion war during the final season would be my favoite. The Star Trek:DS9 series finale was one one of my favorite Star Trek series finales. I'll admit it's been a while since I've actually watched Star Trek:DS9, but I'd like to start watching it again soon. Thank god the show is on DVD. I have the first season on DVD, and I hope to get seasons 2-7 on DVD real soon. That way I'll be able to finally see every single episode of Star Trek:DS9 which really was a great show.