Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Nov 28, 1993 on Syndicado

• Nowhere near perfect, but it's an interesting story done well enough.

I have some of the same beefs as the other reviewers, but I guess they bother me less. This IS a great idea for an episode executed less than perfectly. Yeah, there are some ill-conceived parts in this episode. But there's enough substance here to make that mostly a nuisance for me. It's much better than the filler episodes of season 1.

This is, I suppose, an issue show - in this case, about refugees and anti-immigrant sentiment (couched in politically correct rhetoric, of course, and having some justification to boot), but it really does touch upon one of the characters (Kira) in a meaningful way. There's no sense of preachiness here - more of a "life is tough, and there aren't no easy answers" theme.

The Skreaans are a mixed bunch - the adult males are rather annoying (one-dimensional "aliens of the week"), but Haneeq was a genuinely interesting character - and her falling out with Kira rather intense. That's one harsh farewell in the episode's conclusion. Tumak's death has the appropriate sense of inevitable tragedy.