Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Starship Down

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Nov 06, 1995 on Syndicado

• "I hate the Gamma Quadrant" - Quark

Like "Civil Defense" this ensemble piece is a variation of the idea introduced in TNG's fifth season episode "Disaster": a disaster happens, segregating the characters and forcing them to work through separate plotlines to survive and put things back in order.

In this case, the disaster happens to the Defiant, which becomes trapped in the atmosphere of a giant gas planet. This setting gives us some rich visual effects which, thanks to mid-90s advancements in CGI, approach cinema quality. The assortment of stories within the plot, however, is all quite basic. In contrast with the "fish out of water" theme in "Disaster" or the humorous aspects of "Civil Defense", this one plays out fairly straight with the characters not far out of their comfort zones: Worf ends up in charge of the ship and has trouble dealing with a couple engineers, Quark is trapped in a room with an alien (James Cromwell) he's been trying to cheat, Kira attends to a concussed Sisko, and Bashir is trapped in a turbolift with Dax. The nature of this sort of storytelling keeps things moving along briskly, with it necessary to continually switch from story to story. And there are highlights: Cromwell is fantastic, the engineers Worf deals with are goofy enough to be charming in their own right, and Kira's dialogue with Sisko is beautiful. There's also an extended wrap up which serves the show well, giving us a more satisfactory conclusion than some of the rushed endings of DS9's past. It's all very watchable; however, it doesn't break any new ground and feels at times like another day at the office.

• An exciting (but not entirely original) episode, with some interesting interactions between various characters.

This episode basically follows the same formula as the Next Generation episode "Disaster". While in the Gamma Quadrant on a diplomatic/commercial mission, the Defiant encounters some Jem'Hadar ships which cripple the ship. The crew is split up into small groups as a result and the meat of the episode lies in how they interact to solve the crisis.

I really enjoyed Kira's attempt to keep the barely conscious Sisko awake; the realization that their relationship, while close and friendly, essentially revolves around work, was an important one. Nana Visitor did a really good job. I liked how this story resolved in the last few minutes of the episode.

I also thought Jadzia and Bashir's plot was good too. By this point, their relationship had pretty much settled into close friendship, but after this incident it's obvious that Bashir still cares for her deeply, that she knows about it, and that she doesn't necessarily mind it.

The plots with Worf and Quark were OK. I suppose it's necessary for Worf's development to see him struggle with commanding other officers, but it's not that interesting to watch. Quark's plot (with James Cromwell's character) is pretty generic, though as always Armin Shimerman does a good job of keeping us entertained.