Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Tacking Into the Wind (6)

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM May 12, 1999 on Syndicado

• Goodbye, Klingons, we'll miss ya.

With the DS9/Cardassian alliance as the one story and some Klingon political intrigue as the other, "Tacking" is a fast moving, somewhat satisfying episode with some resolutions to "When it while its C story teases what's coming next.

The Kira/Damar story is really a character-based caper plot, with the two leading a risky undercover heist. It's a fun story that tucks in some touching moments between Odo and Kira, but it winds its way to an end that's as predictable as the conclusion to an episode of Gilligan's Island. (Personally, I wish I could see Weyoun, with the Founder prodding him on, chasing Damar around the galaxy). Damar himself proves one of the show's surprise successes, thanks in large part to Casey Biggs; but after what the Cardassian does to Ziyal early in season six, it's difficult to accept the character's redemption, and looking back, the writers probably wish they hadn't taken his character so far down that road.

Meanwhile, we have an episode where Ron Moore is once again writing Klingon stuff for Worf and Gowron five years after we figured the conclusion of TNG put an end to it. "Tacking" marks Robert O'Reilly's last Star Trek appearance, allowing him to bring a conclusion to the Klingon Chancellor he introduced to us in TNG's "Reunion" nine years prior. Gowron's new ambition is sudden and feels contrived, and there's really not much more to the story other than Worf's internal struggle, but there's something to be said for a Klingon plot that's quick and to the point... especially at this stage. The Klingons would return in Enterprise, but from a chronological standpoint, this is their goodbye.