Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

The Alternate

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Jan 09, 1994 on Syndicado

• We have met the monster, and it is us!

This character driven Odo episode is essentially an old time "monster story", although it takes its own sweet time getting there, adding a twist towards the end that's less unique than the writers might realize. "Who does the detective discover to be the man/monster/murderer he is looking for?" Without giving anything away, let's just say there's a "shocking" answer to this question that gets used a lot by detective and horror writers trying to be unpredictable. In fact, this isn't this trope's first or last appearance in Star Trek. Fortunately, the twist isn't so much a sucker punch as it's a catalyst to explore the relationship between Odo and his mentor, the real plot of the episode. The show deserves credit for introducing the idea of Dr. Pol in previous episodes, with Odo even saying in "The Forsaken" that his hair is a copy of this man's. By seeding ideas like this, the new character comes across as more familiar and less Throughout the course of the story, we learn much about Odo even in scenes where he's not on screen. Favorite Star Trek guest star James Sloyen is excellent as the doctor, substituting for the actor the part was originally written for, Rene Auberjonois. (The size of the doctor's part and the complexity of Aurbejonois's makeup made the double role impossible). Throughout the course of the episode, we learn much about Odo, with his character being defined even when he's not on screen. The "takehome" is enormous, though the episode itself is slow and a bit clumsy.