Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

The Collaborator

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM May 22, 1994 on Syndicado

7.7
  • A Bajoran Political Mystery Episode

What "Sins of the Father" is to The Next Generation and Klingons, "The Collaborator" is to Deep Space Nine and Bajor. Beginning deceptively simple, this Kira episode unfolds like an episode of 20/20 as it adds layers of complexity, taking an idea that seems preposterous and turning it into a landmark moment in DS9 history. A Bajoran political mystery, the story works because the writers set up the stakes in a way that's personal: personal to Kira, who is forced to uncover the naked truth regarding her lover, and personal to us, thanks to Philip Anglim (Bareil) and Louise Fletcher (Winn) making it impossible not to form hopes and wishes for the eventual reveal.

Like some of the best Deep Space Nine episodes ("Sacrifice of the Angels", "In the Pale Moonlight") "The Collaborator" can be enjoyed both as a standalone episode or as part of a larger tapestry (continuing the Bajoran political thread that's introduced in the first season finale and runs through the opening three episodes of the second season).
  • A meditation on the nature of treason.

Apparently this episode is not among fan favorites, but it fits in quite well with the extremely strong stretch that began in "Blood Oath" and ran through the end of the season.

We're so used to clean-as-snow Kira that we share her antipathy for collaborators - of course, they deserve our contempt. But then we're paraded a series of collaborators, first Kubus, then Bareil (apparently), that make us question that antipathy. Occupation and war give us all tough choices. And Kira finds out that even our heroes sometimes have to be in league with the Devil. (A lesson she would apply later in the series.)

We get rich performances from Nana Visitor and Philip Anglim, but the star of the show is Louise Fletcher. Even this early in the show's history, she proved to be an extremely inspired casting.

Oh... and poor Odo, four more seasons of heartbreak for him.
  • A fine example of Star Trek at its best.

I was extremely disappointed at the low score this episode received. I have decided that I should write a review in an attempt to convince people to give it a greater score.

Although I love Star Trek I have to admit most episodes suffer from a lack of Sci Fi believability. Star Trek is supposed to be an issue program, not a science lesson. It can be excellent at the former and but usually fails miserably at the later. This was a great issue episode and one of the few with a truly surprise ending. It was very emotional. Everyone was in character.

As usual, the dialogue between Kira and Secretary Kubus Oak was interesting. What I like about the very recurring theme in this series of Kira dealing with her former overlords and their collaborators are the justifications given by the collaborators. Perhaps equally disturbing is the justifications given by Kira, the holier than thou freedom fighter that has never done anything wrong against her fellow Bajoran, although far from the innocent person she thinks she is. This episode furthers the idea that not everyone that Kira associates with or admires shares her particular brand of rectitude. As in many other episodes, Kira is challenged her by the very different ethical justifications used by her boyfriend Vedek Bareil and the revered former Kai.

The Collaborator is definitely worth an hour of your time and a definite prerequisite for the rest of the Deep Space Nine series.
  • ANY episode with Louise Fletcher as Vedek/Kai Winn is a Win-Win!

Now more than ever, episodes that involve how problems arise when fundamentalist religion mixes with politics are riveting. Louise Fletcher is the consummate villian -- no scary makeup, no growling, no violence, no weapon more dangerous than her tongue. And it\'s a joy watching her spar with Vedek Bareil -- a faithful priest with personal faults -- is engaging and goes way beyond your typical sci fi show.