Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

The Collaborator

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM May 22, 1994 on Syndicado

7.7
  • A fine example of Star Trek at its best.

I was extremely disappointed at the low score this episode received. I have decided that I should write a review in an attempt to convince people to give it a greater score.

Although I love Star Trek I have to admit most episodes suffer from a lack of Sci Fi believability. Star Trek is supposed to be an issue program, not a science lesson. It can be excellent at the former and but usually fails miserably at the later. This was a great issue episode and one of the few with a truly surprise ending. It was very emotional. Everyone was in character.

As usual, the dialogue between Kira and Secretary Kubus Oak was interesting. What I like about the very recurring theme in this series of Kira dealing with her former overlords and their collaborators are the justifications given by the collaborators. Perhaps equally disturbing is the justifications given by Kira, the holier than thou freedom fighter that has never done anything wrong against her fellow Bajoran, although far from the innocent person she thinks she is. This episode furthers the idea that not everyone that Kira associates with or admires shares her particular brand of rectitude. As in many other episodes, Kira is challenged her by the very different ethical justifications used by her boyfriend Vedek Bareil and the revered former Kai.

The Collaborator is definitely worth an hour of your time and a definite prerequisite for the rest of the Deep Space Nine series.