Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

The Die Is Cast (2)

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM May 01, 1995 on Syndicado

• I'm afraid the fault, dear Tain, is not in our stars but in ourselves.

Named after a quote attributed to Julius Caesar (with the meaning that events have been set in motion that cannot be undone), this conclusion to "Improbable Cause" is the inverse of your typical Star Trek episode. The Odo/Garak relationship from the prior episode is flipped; Garak becomes the authority figure and Odo becomes the character hiding a truth. The evil, large scale invasion fleet isn't a threat to mankind but rather to mankind's enemies. Sisko and his station mates become renegades, violating the orders of Starfleet command except for one who violates Sisko's orders!

These unusual choices came about become the writers backed into a sequel. (Originally, "Improbable Cause" was to end with Tain having no choice but to let Garak and Odo go when Garak tells him about an isolinear rod back in his quarters on Deep Space Nine containing with secret information he knows, saying that if he's not let go, Bashir's been told to take it Starfleet. "And they'll know everything!" This, of course, comes across as a cheat, and the isolinear rod is even turned into a joke in the actual episode. But being unable to come up with a satisfactory conclusion, the writers turned the episode into a two parter. "We'd painted ourselves into a corner so far, Ron Moore said, "we had to kick out the wall behind us in order to get With "Through the Looking Glass" already set to be shot following "Improbable Cause", they had to shoot "Looking Glass" in the middle of the two parter and then flop the airdates of "Looking Glass" with "Improbable Cause". Someone also brought up the point that "Improbable Cause Part II," the original title of the second part, didn't really make any sense, and so for the first time a two parter had two different titles. So much for the idea that Star Trek episodes don't happen by accident!) Yet for an afterthought, "The Die is Cast" is quite a piece of Star Trek history. In addition to bringing back the Dominion and setting up their future in the series, the special effects (thanks to a boost in their budget) are better than any Star Trek episode to this point. The balance between the personal, character driven moments and the epic action is especially well handled by director David Livingston and sets the stage for more of the same in the future. Guest stars Leland Orser (Colonel Lovok) and Kenneth Marshall (Eddington) deserve special mention for developing their characters so well, giving the A and B stories their added dimensions and giving birth to the question, "Is Eddington a Changeling?"

All this said, the B story with Sisko does seem to exist simply to pad out the episode, and it's easy to see how the story could be resolved without it.

• Great conclusion.

Like TNG's "Chain of Command", an excellent set-up episode is followed by an even stronger conclusion. And like "Chain of Command", a key aspect of this episode is a rather intense torture sequence.

The main difference, of course, is that the torture here is much more personal and harrowing than it was in TNG. There, it was about Picard standing to a fairly anonymous tormentor - here Odo suffers at the hand of a colleague who has deep misgivings about the act. It's easily the strongest sequence in the episode.

But there's other stuff here - the shocking surprise upon arrival to the Changeling homeworld, the betrayal by Eddington (a massive red herring for later developments), and of course a thrilling space battle.

Finally, the concluding scene - with Odo appearing only as a reflection in the mirror, is well written and beautifully shot.

Unlike "Past Tense", this two-parter would have direct and quick implications for the following episodes.
  • Best episode I've seen of DS9 yet!

Yes we all love the science of Star Trek, the techno babble, the awesome sets, costumes, races, but... It's the awesome battle sequences which often times are far too lacking and sparse that really ups the wow factor. And this episode more than delivers on that front. I love seeing the various Star Trek ships, cloaking, uncloaking, flying & fighting and this episode just rocks the house with these sequences. All that said though almost equal to this are some of the most unforgettable dialog and scenes between Odo and Garak, which marks the beginning of a friendship despite what happens in the episode

In this second half of the two-parter we really see the Defiant kick some Jem Hadar ass, wasting more than a few of their ships, meanwhile the Romulan and Cardassian armada get caught with their pants down and blown to bits. One does have to ask themselves though how the Defiant was able to reek such havoc while monster ships like the Romulan war birds were just ripped apart. Whether the battle capabilities of the Defiant were simply overblown (given this show is all about DS9 and its new flagship added in season 3) or the element of surprise of having the Defiant swoop in coming out of cloaked state, either way it still made for some nice eye candy and I probably shouldn't think to much about the realism of that tiny ship being that tough. In any case The battle scenes are quick but they are awesome and unlike the Defiants first encounter with the Jem Hadar this time it just tears through them like tin cans and certainly makes an impression upon the viewer.

Obviously these two episodes open up a huge can of worms for the DS9 space station, the federation and really solidify the threat of the Dominion and line up some good episodes and future stories as a result
  • Turning point in Deep Space Nine

"The Die Is Cast" is clearly not the greatest Star Trek episode ever aired. There are many things I as a fan would had done differently. Nevertheless its a unique piece of drama that is memorable and a turning point in the series.

The highlights of the episode is the continued development of the relationship between Odo and Deep Space Nine space station resident Garek. The two characters are an interesting match, but prior to this episode and its lead-in, "Improbably Cause" very little of this was explored. This certainly changes when we see Odo tortured by Garek. The extremely beautifully choreographed scene between them in the tailor shop done in a single take, with Odo only visible in the mirror is classic. Unfortunately I'd had liked to had seen a little more bitterness between Garek and Odo over this event, especially in later episodes when - unfortunately - the torture scene seems too easily forgotten.

The first thing I'd change about this episode is to tie the title more nicely with the first part: I never liked "Improbably Cause" as clever as it was. I'd much prefer if they'd chosen "The Die Cast, Part 1/2" for both episodes.

Another thing I'd like to see changed is the unnecessary rescue of Odo and Garek by the Defiant. Eddington's sabotage of the cloaking device was interesting development of his character but it could had been left for other episodes. Frankly I'd like to had seen that air time devoted to Garek/Odo/Tain storyline and elaboration on the station resident's reaction to the attack on the Dominion.

There is no reason why Odo could not had gotten home with the undamaged runabout. In fact I don't understand why the Jem'Hadar attacked the runabout at all with him in it! As far as I'm concerned it a major plot error. The changeling Romulan was clearly beamed aboard a Jem'Hadar ship and should had been able to make it clear that the runabout contained a shaft-shifter and to leave it alone. If they had simply done that there would be no need for the Defiant in the script at all!

Another item on my wish list would be to see Garek captured by the Jem'Hadar instead of Tain. The Dominion could perhaps had kept him alive in exchange for trying to convince Tain to save Odo's life. He could had easily been reintroduced to the series later. This way at least we would feel that Garek paid some price for the sorts of things he did in this episode instead of just getting away with it like he did.

Another loose end in the story is how the Cardassians developed the quantum stasis field that prevented Odo from morphing? Did they get the data from the Bajoran scientist that studied Odo? Its interesting to note this is one of two similar weapons used against the changelings. The other being the Polaron emitters which cause them to revert to their gelatinous state. Either could be lethal.

The Tal'shair and Obsidian Order were pretty naive to think they could wipe out the Dominion so easily.

Fast moving episode. A pleasure to watch!
  • This was a crucial episode in the development of the 'Dominion' saga. Some great action scenes and a torture scene to die for.

This was a crucial episode in the development of the 'Dominion' saga. Firstly though, this conclusion to the two part episode arc was very complex. It was almost like a detective novel in which clues were eventually revealed to the viewer showing the real picture. This second episode is when the action really gets going. The torture scene with Garak and Odo is truly unforgettable and superb acting by both men. The scene really was a metaphor for the effect of torture on both sides.To see Odo literally fall apart was analogous of the effects of torture on the victim. Whilst Garak's pleading with Odo for 'something' and his final response showed that the torturer is also 'tortured'. The craftiness of the Dominion was also explored and hinted at their future plans for the Alpha-Quadrant. The fighting scene with the 'Defiant' and the Jem'Hadar was spectacular.
    One of the best episodes up to this point.