Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

The Emperor's New Cloak

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Feb 03, 1999 on Syndicado

7.2
  • Here we go again

It's once more unto the mirror universe with this Ferengi comedy featuring Quark and Rom. We might as well throw out the rating system and intelligent analysis because it's clear from the outset that the plot (such as there is) is just an excuse for the cast to cut loose and have some fun (and to get Nicole de Boer in a leather costume).

With Zek, Vic Fontaine, Brunt, Garak, and most of the regulars getting their moments to play against expectations, the story emphasizes the comedy of its preposterous nature, completely self aware that the alternate universe makes no sense. (In fact, it uses the cloaking device as a MacGuffin under the theory that the mirror universe doesn't have the technology, despite previous episodes establishing that it does).

No matter, it's all in good fun, and director Burton (doing his second episode in a row with mirror universe characters) ensures that no moment is played too seriously. But it is a bit of a shame that DS9, throughout the course of the series, increasingly sees this setting as only a backdrop for silliness.

The mirror universe comes back into play in a more serious way with Enterprise's two parter "In a Mirror, Darkly". As for "Emperor's New Cloak", it's the last DS9 episode to visit the alternate reality and is dedicated to Jerome Bixby, the writer of the original "Mirror, Mirror" episode, who died in April of 1998.

• Another Romp on the Dark Side

This episode is so fun. The mirror universe Vic Fontaine is crazy looking - and the mirror Ezri is pretty sexy. I love to see Ferengi characters running around. Reminds me of The Magnificent Ferengi this episode does, hmm. The nice Brunt is a funny touch.

This is another war diversion episode to make up 26 episodes, but it's a pretty good one this time, in contrast to 'Prodigal Daughter'.

Worf cracks me up once again. I love to hear Michael Dorn yell. This Regent Worf is really mean! That one punch to face knock out he does on the officer was pretty amazing, don't you think?

I need to watch the rest of the mirror universe episodes. The only other one I believe I've seen is Ressurection.

And holy crap, where else can you see Nana and Nicole kiss? :D
  • The final time the DS9ers go to the alternate universe.

This is Deep Space Nine's final journey to the dark side. I find it particularly interesting how easily they are able to transport between universes.

The plot line is kind of weak, though it is what you would expect from a Ferengi, that is Zek's attempt to exploit a previously unknown region for profit. I think the weak plot is overcome, though by the characters we see on the other side.

Ezri is much more interesting than her normal universe counterpart. No mention is made of the Dax symbiont. Vic Fontaine is not a hologram, and doesn't even appear to know what a hologram is. Instead, he's a wild-looking operative of the Alliance. Brunt is actually nice, so naturally he gets killed in the alternate universe. Regent Worf is prone to wild mood swings and fully embraces his Klingon heritage. He has very little self-control as evidenced by his ripping the captain's chair from the deck of the bridge after the Terrans capture his ship. Garak is really not much changed from his normal universe self, except in the normal universe, when he decides to whack someone, he talks a lot less.

Then there is Kira, the Intendant. She looks mighty fine in her black leather outfit. We also get a glimpse of Leeta, Rom's wife in the normal universe. She's not interested in Rom, though she does express interest in Ezri, and has been assigned to conduct Ezri's "debriefing".

I think Zek sums it up nicely at the end of the episode when he says, "This is quite a fascinating place, don't you agree?"