Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

The Maquis (2)

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM May 01, 1994 on Syndicado

• Sisko V. Hudson

Adding a couple more guest stars, Part 2 is even more talky than the Part 1 although the writers keep things interesting by continually moving the story forward through the dialogue. Quark even gets to finish up his B story with the Vulcan gunrunner. And as the episode approaches its conclusion, big money is finally thrown onto the screen in the form of a space battle with some nice special effects for 1990s television.

The central character is again Sisko, with Avery Brooks pairing up with each of the major guest stars in a succession of scenes. The guests including Natalija Nogulich as Admiral Nechayev give Brooks some generous performances to play off of, and with each new scene, the plot becomes more personal and Brooks becomes more intense. (I do have to wonder why Legate Parn comes all the way to Deep Space Nine for a two minute conversation where he basically says, "The Cardassian government doesn't really care about Even without the security concerns on the station... where the Federation apparently can't stop renegades from beating Cardassians and dragging them away... it would seem that this exchange would be more suited for a subspace transmission. But this visit does give us a funny moment. When Parn concludes his meeting with Sisko, he steps through an airlock and then turns around as the door rolls shut as if it's a turbolift. I wonder how long it takes him to realize the floor isn't going anywhere?)

While the resolution of the episode will probably not leave the viewer feeling a sense of closure, he or she can be comforted, knowing the loose threads will be dealt with in the future ("Blaze of Glory").

• Not as good as part 1, but worth watching.

I've heard some DS9 fans say the show didn't really get good until after the Dominion arc started, but I don't think that's true. In fact, starting with "Blood Oath", the show was on a roll that would run right through the remainder of season 2. (Compare it to the weak stretch that TNG suffered from around the same time. Night and day.)

Even more than part 1, Marc Alaimo's Dukat dominates the proceedings. We get plenty of fireworks between him and Sisko, but also the first budding of the rich "relationship" he would have with Kira. There's some serpentine Cardassian politics thrown into the mix. Sisko's "easy to be a saint in paradise" speech is superb, though Avery Brooks lapses a little into the overacting that bugged me on occasion.

The only drawbacks, really, are some slow parts when actual Maquis characters appear onscreen; Quark's flirtations with the Vulcan rebel are just not that interesting.

In what was already a DS9 trademark, the episode ends with no easy answers.
  • Forget what has been, the show can start for real.

The show begins. let us forget the previous 39 episodes (with a few good exceptions) and look forward. First the Maquis and then the dominion, we have much to look forward to. Only when these plot-arcs begin can the show start to compare with the other ST series.

This episode was good. exciting and good writing. The only problem i have with it are that i would like more backroundstory what the conflict are about. I thought about this when i saw voyager too. what are the fight about, when normal and intelligent people like the maquis in Voyager and the ones here risk it all for the fight. A border dispute? i dont buy it. they cant have lived there for so long and there are a big risk that what they do will result in a war that could affect the whole federation. Dont get me wrong, i love the idea of a resistence organisation within the holy federation that arent afraid of taking up arms against an enemy. My problem is that they should have painted a better and more beleivable picture why the Maqui was created.