Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

The Wire

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM May 08, 1994 on Syndicado

• A memorable episode more revealing than given credit for

For some reason I remember this episode. It sticks out for me. The emotion between Bashir and Garek. The lies. The dialogue that did not rely on visual flashbacks. The issue of addiction, something Star Trek did not do well in the past, portrayed here realistically. This episode is very underrated by the fans and I am disappointed that I am its first review. It deserves far more credit.

On question about the episode I cannot quickly answer is what is the meaning of the name? I always assumed personally that it was a reference to the device in inside Garek's brain described in the dialogue as resembling perhaps, a wire. Or it could be a reference to the idea of a wire-tap as used by the Obsidian Order or even Odo?

One down note to the episode is the corny dialogue in the scene where quark talks to the Cardassian officer who sets off an alarm while looking up the schematics for Garek's implant because even the part number is classified.

This episode is pivotal as the series' first mention of the Obsidian Order and the Tal Shiar, establishing Garek's first name and Bashir's middle name, introducing Enabran Tain and gives the first hint that Garek is Tain's son, something not confirmed until the end of the series.

Its easy to poo-poo The Wire as a boring and meaningless bottle show, but without it and shows like it, the overall quality of Deep Space Nine as a series would had suffered.