Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

The Wire

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM May 08, 1994 on Syndicado

• A series classic. DS9's best recurring character gets to strut his stuff.

I don't disagree with much in the other review for this episode, but it did surprise me that the reviewer felt he/she had to defend the episode. I mean, this is an absolute classic with little if any to apologize for!

This is ostensibly a show about Bashir and his relationship with Garak, but Andy Robinson utterly dominates the proceedings. It's a rich performance - normally, we merely see Garak's smooth, urbane demeanor, but here the facade is pulled aside and we can never look at the character the same again.

Aside from this duo and Odo, the rest of the cast plays a very minor role. Really, the fourth spot on the cast belongs to Paul Dooley, who introduces us to Garak's mentor and does so in brilliant fashion.

My only beef with the other reviewer is about Quark's conversation with Boheeka - in my opinion, it's excellent and fits right in with the rest of the episode.

One final comment - Garak's final conversation is among my favorite script bits of any DS9 episodes. "Even the lies?" "ESPECIALLY the lies!"