Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Time's Orphan

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM May 20, 1998 on Syndicado

• I hated this episode

Yes, I hated this episode. Maybe its because I am a father of five. Maybe its because I am child therapist. But I hated how grown-up Molly was treated by the writers of this show. To get your daughter back after 10 years of isolation and then not let her get the psychological help she needed, and then, return her to this life of isolation because that is what she wanted is unbelievable to me. She has the mind of a child. Would you let your child live by themselves because they wanted to? Of course not. Obviously she was given the age of 18 to symbolize the time when children become adults and leave the care of their parents. But why would you let a child with the mental age of 8 live a life alone. I mean they didn't even give her a food replicator, a med kit, or immunization. All she got to survive for the rest of her like was clothes, a blanket, a backpack and a toy doll. I know I am personlizing this review, but it was appalling for me to see treated this way by the writers of the show.