Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

What You Leave Behind (1)

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Jun 02, 1999 on Syndicado

• "What You Leave Behind" still makes me cry even when I watch it now. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was and still is my favorite Star Trek show. And my favorite characters were Odo, Worf (even in TNG) and Quark.

In the espisode "What You Leave Behind" was rather sad to me. As each character began to go their separate ways, it was like a part of my family leaving me. Some I might see again and others I may not??

But why this particular episode provoked such a strong emotion within me, I still don't really understand. Although I did admire Captain Benjamin L. Sisko, as an excellent commander and a good father to Jake. Odo, Worf and Quark were my favorite characters.

I suppose Odo because unlike Data (Star Trek:TNG) he didn't aspire to be more human. I wouldn't say that he despised the human race, but Odo didn't have any close relationship with any either. Not until Kira.. For some reason, Odo was very attracted to her.

I'm certainly very thrilled that they finally got together towards the end. If they hadn't, I would have the same disatisfaction I feel everytime I see a "Kicks" Cereal commercial..."Silly rabbit, Kicks are for kids"

That rabbit has been after that cereal for as long as I can remember...and I'm pretty tired of him not getting to taste them!!! arrrrggghhhh!!
  • A great episode.

I thought "What You Leave Behind" part 1 was a great episode. It really was a great first part of a closing story for Deep Space Nine. I thought that everyone involved did a great job of performing and the show was well written. I enjoyed the battle scenes and all the internal conflict within the story. There was so much going on that I had trouble keeping up. This was an episode that paved the way for part 2. It was well suited to play a lead-in role and was very fitting. I also realized that the end of an era was coming to a close and that there would only be one episode left before it was all over. Thank you.