Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

What You Leave Behind (2)

Aired Weekdays 11:00 AM Jun 02, 1999 on Syndicado

• A good story always leaves some unanswered questions and know how to use silence, how to leave you questioning the motives, the future, the decisions of the characters. This was one of those stories.

I take it everyone reading this review (I hope there's at least one person reading it...) has already seen the episode, so I'm not recapping it or quoting lines.

My personal belief is that a good story always leaves some unanswered questions. Not unanswered in a bad way, as in not-concluded-storylines. Unanswered means that good stories know how to use silence, how to leave you questioning the motives, the future, the decisions of the characters. Personally, I prefer the writers not telling me exactly why Sisko took that rather final decision. I prefer the writers not giving me the details: I'd rather keep thinking of Sisko as a round character, with his own obscure moments, his regrets, his blinding passion. Passion never lets you take or leads you to cristal clear conclusions.

I loved the ending scene: silence and darkness all around, but still a window. Still hope.