Star Trek: Enterprise

Awakening (2)

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Nov 26, 2004 on UPN

• Archer and T'Pol continue their quest to find the Syrrannites. They find them and are relatively convinced of their innocence. Archer has a 1800 year old ghost in him. They are attacked. Enterprise is attacked by the Vulcans.

This was a great episode. The Vulcans attacking Enterprise was somewhat unforeseen, due to the fact that it is not very logical. Also, the impending attack on Andoria is brilliant. I am happy to see that the Vulcans are not letting anyone down. I'm sure this is done simply to show the increasing illegitimacy of the High Command and that the Syrrannites should be in power. I believe that the next episode will be the end of the current regime and a time of rebuildling for the Vulcans, who desperately need it. I just enjoy watching Enterprise get beat up all the time.
  • Many things went right in this middle episode of the Vulcan trilogy.

Middle children sometimes get grief from both sides. In this case thought, the middle child excels. While this story flies in the face of all previous Star Trek notions of Vulcans, it still succeeds in making exciting television. T'Pau attempts to forcibly remove Surak's katra from Archer. She is unsuccesful . However the experience triggers a vision for Archer about an ancient Vulcan artifact. Archer, T'Pol and T'Pau enter an ancient Vulcan tomb and retreive. Meanwhile, the totally uncharacteristic Vulcan gone wild leader has begun bombing the secret hiding place. T'Pol's mother is killed during the blasts. Great acting and a great storyline are in evidence here. The revelation that the Vulcans are going to attack the Andorians is also a great cliffhanger.