Star Trek: Enterprise

Carbon Creek

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 25, 2002 on UPN

• Possibly the best episode of this entire series. It tells the story of The Vulcan's first contact with Earth in the 1950's.

I've been holding off on doing an Enterprise review because I really wanted to give this show a chance.

I'm a die hard Trek fan. I can remember seeing TOS first run episodes when I was about 5 years old. Enterprise has been the most difficult of the Trek sagas for me to digest. I ignored it completely during it's first run on UPN but I've started watching them on Sci Fi Channel now - because I really miss a Trek series.

This is my absolute favorite episode hands down. It tells the story of a Vulcan ship that crashed in Semi Rural Pennsylvania during the 1950's. The story is fascinating in many ways, perhaps the most being the thought that some sentient beings have actually been here without us knowing or "some" of us not knowing.

The Vulcans run out of rations and in order to survive they find they have no choice but to interact with humans so they will not starve to death. The interactions that come about from this are really well written and acted out. The introduction of velcro is really a clever twist and although the writers have taken the liberties of changing facts a bit, this is a fiction piece and these parts make the story work.

A great episode. Glad I finally gave Enterprise a shot. It will never in my opinion live up to TNG or TOS even but I'm glad I finally opened my mind up enough to appreciate this episode.