Star Trek: Enterprise

Civilization

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Nov 14, 2001 on UPN

• Ugh! An Archer episode.

Well, it's been set in stone by now that Archer considers letting other people deal with their problems laughable.

There is a black matter reactor in this world, so it's go time!

I'll let it pass the total disregard for the first directive because it didn't exist yet, although it is a very sensible concept even without being a rule. In the beginning of the episode I even thought this was going to be a prime directive episode, where Archer learns the virtue of non-envolvement.

Not yet, I regret! He still goes blunting about, taking girls off their feet with his bizarre nonsensical blabber and interferring with things he has no clue what they are about. What if they were mining an essential medicine that could save billions of lives? Who cares! It is go time!

Overall, not a bad episode, but at best average, and Archer keeps getting under my skin. Oh, and as a side note, I know they have the universal translator, but can't aliens see their mouth moves differently from what they hear? It is one thing to say "we have this universal translator, so we can talk with anyone", another is "we have this universal translator, so we can talk with anyone WITHOUT THEM KNOWING something is off". But well, I know the point of Star Trek has never been the realism...
  • great episode

The Enterprise finds a planet with an advanced civilization. When the starship scans the planet surface the discover that the alien race is pre industrial. But when Capt. Archer sends an away team, they find out that some advance technology exists that maybe causing the inhabitants of the planet to get sick. This episode involves the crew of the Enterprise into a deadly encounter. It's action driven. The writers came up with a really good episode. I really enjoyed watching this one. It's a good episode, the effects were stunning. The storyline was fast paced. It was exciting watching it from start to finish.
  • The excitement of an M class planet is marred by a mystery power source and a mysterious disease. With that alone any Star Trek fan may figure out this story line. "Civilization" is a comment on civilization and its negatives.

The excitement of an M class planet is marred by a mystery power source and a mysterious disease. With that alone any Star Trek fan may figure out this story line. "Civilization" is a comment on civilization and its negatives. This episode is marred by a preachy plot line and saved by a warming subplot between Captain Archer and a pharmacist.

"Star Trek: Enterprise" is a series that had great promise. This episode makes the rise of the ugly head of preachy writing. The comments on "Civilization," nuclear power, pollution, and manufacturing indifference are less than subtle.

There is a view into Vulcans and T'Pol. One of the first scenes is a mission planning meeting. T'Pols list says much about the different priorities of species. Later the refrain of the Vulcan protocols for first contact replays. Again it highlight the differences between species.

In a bit silly theme, lines weave through the episode on UFOs and aliens. There is a comment on why aliens landed in corn fields on Earth, alien abduction, and the few who met aliens.

Archer has a debate with his planet amour over blue versus yellow. The debate reminds one of the cliche red wire versus blue wire bomb defusing scene replayed in so many movies and series. "Civilization" is saved by the subplot of Captain Archer's evolving love for a planet inhabitant. This gifted scientist in a backward culture falls in love with him. This is well played and adds to the episode. This viewer wishes it was developed more. Love is one of higher life's greatest redeeming qualities. It has saved mankind throughout history. It saves the episode, "Civilization."
  • This episode showed the series has enormous promise

Archer finds an Minshara (M Class)class planet
    with a pre industrial society.
    As they study the planet ,whos people are called Acarli,
    t`pol detects a anti matter reactor down on the planet
    They deem this to be suspicous since they still use wooden sailing ships.

The episode is quite reminsisent of the original series
    in that archer (like kirk)has to use force to stop interfering aliens
    while interfering himself(but for the best)
    the actress playing the apothacary is quite talented and she has a nice relationship with the captain
    one of the highlights of the episode

Not earth shattering but very good