Star Trek: Enterprise

Fight or Flight

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Oct 03, 2001 on UPN

• Fight or Flight<br /> <br /> Originally I liked this episode. However I have changed my mind. First, watched through my DVD of the original series. Does not compare and that is only the start.

Fight or Flight

In the pilot Sato is shown to be fiesty but now all that is forgotten. The creators of the show said that they wanted Enterprise to character driven. In one sense that is good but in another it is bad. In the good, characters drive the story. But in the bad, saying character driven is like saying boring! Really boring. The kind that wishes something would happen. I would love to go in there and mess things up. To say nothing of wanting to make love to Sato and T'Pol in a threesome.

Okay, I know that last bit ain't going to happen probably not in my dreams, but I can still hope can't I? I mean in my dreams. But for the most part this episode so drags.

I liked Sato in the pilot. She was sassy, and very hot. Sorry, I promise not to digress again? Or is that a promise I will actually keep.

What brought on this new wave of negativity for a series I liked when I first got the DVDs. Time I guess, and also maybe the death of my father, and I started asking myself what is this sh#t?

I had a copy of Harlan Ellison's The City on the Edge of Forever. I liked the TV version but it is nothing compared to this script. But the TV version of "City" way outshines this episode. I am going to leave the old comitery still down there. I have more important things to do with my time. This is the first episode to focus on Ensign Sato. There was some fairly good character development here. There is the comparison between Sato and this slug she found on a world they had visited. It also shows the problem of communication with non-Earth languages and the need for a linguistic expert. Sato is a competent translator but placed in a confined space suit among dead bodies is something else. I liked the slug comparison. However they would not dare leave such a creature on another planet. It might destroy the ecosystem of the world that they left it on. Even today, there are always valid fears of some animal crossing from one continent to another. Take for example the snakes in Guam that destroyed song birds only found there. Maybe the Doctor should have feed the slug to his bat after all.

This is a different Trek. One thing I liked about this series is that is much more like the world we presently inhabit. You see this in many of the major characters. Everything is brand new to these people. This is the beginning of Starfleet. Also notice the stripes on individual members of the crew. Archer and Merryweather wear command gold. Trip and Malcolm wear engineering/ security red. Sato wears the blue of life sciences. This whole color code harkens back to the original series.

Also it is important to point out in Sleeping Dogs Sato has gotten over her fear of the space suits. A small character development I must admit. Though it would have been nice showing some episodes where she gets more comfortable in the suit. Trek has gotten boring at times because only lip service is paid to character development. Like the Staples commercial Trek has it’s own “easy button.”