Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

Is enterprise a good pre TOS show?

baskok

[1]Jul 15, 2011
    • level: 9

I'm not entirely convinced. Yes the technologies used were less advanced but the NX class looked too much like a 24 century scout vessel. Some of the races of Tos were re-introduced like the andorians klingons and vulcans who held back the humans because they weren't ready to explore the galaxy just yet. The characters weren't that interesting. They must have been the most uninteresting group ever. All though t'pol was nice but she was more eye candy. The captain archer was alittlebit dull and not verymemorable. My problem with it is that we already know what happens with the federation. There we're too many time travel episodeswhichdisrupted thecontinuity. I believe that they should have downplayed the look and feel of the enterprise a bit. This is how my enterprise should looklike.

A single nacelle design. A small saucer section with beneath a smallersquaredbulk section. underneath that, one nacelle, that stretches out under the bulk. The crewquartersshould be brown white with many large rooms withbunk beds. The engineering section should be small with a giant square construction with in themiddlesomeglowingplasma. The bridge should besquareshaped with large stations that reach the sealing. There should be a star chart screen. A com station with buttons. abigchair withbuttonson the sides. One helm stationwhichis wide with many buttons and asmallscreen with flickering lights. The ship itself should move very slowly and it could take time to slow down after warp speeds. The ship can shape alittlebit. The captain could press a buttonwhichwarns the crew of high warp speeds. The phasers should be located at the front of the saucer section an should be able to move around with manual control from the captain ifnecessarily. The torpedo room should be small and the torpedoes are manually inserted in a tube. The transporter room should be just four places an take more time then usual to beam people. The uniforms should be sweaters in blue yellow and brown with adistinctiveblack collar lines that run down and insignia ranks on the arms. The pants should be black with side pockets and high black boots for the women skirts with boots.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drlowdon

[2]Jul 15, 2011
    • level: 8

I think you are looking at this a little too deeply!

archangelwho

[3]Jul 15, 2011
    • level: 18

Are you not sure you not an anti-fan? I have read some of your other Star Trek posts.

baskok

[4]Jul 16, 2011
    • level: 9

No i'm not an anti fan just not a big fan of enterprise for obvious reasonswhichi just mentioned. oh and i also commented on the ending of voyagerwhichfelt a bit sudden. These were just things i noticed. Ididn'tenjoy watching DS9 because it was more of a soap.

Ican still remember a few scenes of the TOS show likeKirkbattlingthat lizard guy on a planet or whenKirkwas split into two ( evil good) in a transporter accident. I must have been 4 and i wanted to explore the star trek series. So i watched the entire TOSseriesback and liked the wholeatmosphereon boardthe enterprise. The memorablecharactersbonesKirkandSpock. The explorations they made the trips to other planets and not knowing what would happen next. But enterprise ruined that for me by introducing all the familiar species again even the borgwhichQ made sure theenterpriseD came in contact with in the year 2364. There was nothing new about the show anymore after so manyseriesit felt like thestory lineswere gone.

archangelwho

[5]Jul 16, 2011

Like all of the Star Terks it was what it was due to the money and support it had. None of the shows ever got much support from any of the major networks. Many times the production teams acted as if they have been forced to do a show that they wanted no part of. The shows was moved around nmany times not on the same day or timein the markets across theUS. In fact where I lived there were times when they did not fall on the same day/time for more than 2 or 3 weeks in aroll. I even stopped trying to find DS9 and Voyager. In fact after the 1st season I have not seen more than 5 of the Voyager stories. It was just too hard to keep up when it was on. No support from the major networks mean no major writers which hurt many of the shows. The team that took over for Gene Roddenberry may have been too much of fans of the show. They try to do too much at times, try to make other fans happy and many times try to relive the parts of Star Trek that they had enjoied when they was young. That why you have somany stories repeated across Star Trek. DS9 theyjust lost control of which happen to a lot of TV shows.

I have a box set called Classic Sci-Fi TV it is 150 episodes of sci-fi from the 1930s to the mid 1960s. I have really enjoied the shpws, even the real bad ones. How you may ask? Good question ( if you did ask). I watch them in relation to the time they were made. I place my self to that time rather than trying to bring the old shows to my time. In a way I time travel. You have to watch the Star Treks shows the same way. As with the greatest of sci-fi tv Doctor Whoyou have to understands the show from a holistic point of view and don't look at each individual parts too deeply.

As a warning to all fans. We tend to feel good about our actions when we feel we have force someone to make/remake a show we like. But toooften when you force someone to produce a show that they did not want to make you geta very poorly done show. So fans becareful when you push for the return of a show because unless you are willing to raise most of the money also you will be disappointedmany more times than you not. See the Doctor Who movie of 1996, Star War ep 1,2,3 etc...

kanniballl

[6]Nov 11, 2011

Considering the first Warp-capable ship (shown in the film First Contact) had 2 nacelles, I'm not surprised the NX-01 had two as well.

Besides... you either want redundancy or perhaps you need the multiple nacelles for a stable field that covers X cubic meters.