Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

Isn't it ironic?

LithiumAngel420

[1]Feb 7, 2006
    • level: 4
    Isn't it ironic that the series which did so poorly also seems to be the least popular in the forums...?

I came to see what Enterprise fans talk about (I'm more of a Voyager/TNG fan myself) and have found that they don't talk much at all!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lobomensch

[2]Feb 10, 2006
    • level: 51
    The reason why you don't see much discussion here is because there really wasn't that much to discuss about Enterprise to begin with. Watered-down/remade NG/DS9/Voyager plots and knock-off characters(Hoshi=Wesley, Malcolm=Bashir, etc.) do not a series make. About the only really interesting character in the whole series was the doctor, but that has been the case with most of the Trek series we've seen since TOS, being that the aliens outside of Earth/Vulcan have more personality than anyone else on board.(Worf, Odo, Quark, etc.)
    Time to re-boot Trek and boot Rick Berman and his cronies.
    J. Michael Straczynski loves Trek and had come up with a plan to start Trek fresh again, but Paramount, in their continuing arrogance and failure to acknowledge why Trek is a dying franchise, refused to consider it. Seems like re-hashes are all these studio hacks want now.

Deanna_T

[3]Feb 10, 2006
    • level: 28
    Not really. This show became the scapegoat of the treks, and everyone still complains about it. i have only seen 2 season so far, which are 3 and 4. season 3 was decent and 4 was just rocking. the show should have started with the season 4 adventures, than moved on to the xindi. just like TNG was slowly hinting of the dominion wars and DS9 starting. other than that, ENT had a lot of potential, and B&B flushed it all away.

lobomensch

[4]Feb 10, 2006
    The Xindi storyline was a poor man's attempt at being relevant with current times and really drug the series down. Episodes like "North Star" and alien Nazis didn't help either.
    I really tried to watch Enterprise with an open mind being a long-time Trek fan - almost 30 years now - and couldn't see many redeeming qualities about it. Even TOS's sex situations came off less sleazy than this series did. Ditto for the cat-suit wearing Vulcan that also ran around in panties and t-shirts for the viewer's 'entertainment'. I do agree with you; the concept of the fledgling Federation had tremendous potential but was totally flushed down the toilet by B & B. Won't say it was a total loss, but finale just about gave it that distinction out of all the series.

Hungry_Homer111

[5]Feb 10, 2006
    • level: 26
    lobomensch wrote:
    The Xindi storyline was a poor man's attempt at being relevant with current times and really drug the series down. Episodes like "North Star" and alien Nazis didn't help either.

I think that the Xindi story was great. I thought that that was when the series really started to become great. However, if you don't like it, that's your opinion. We are all entitled to our opinions, and I respect yours, even if I don't agree.

:
    I really tried to watch Enterprise with an open mind being a long-time Trek fan - almost 30 years now - and couldn't see many redeeming qualities about it.

Like I said earlier, that's your opinion, and we are all entitled to our opinions. My father watched the original Star Trek, but didn't watch any of the others until I got him into them. He thinks that Enterprise is very good. In fact, he says that it's one of the better Star Trek series that they made.

:
    Even TOS's sex situations came off less sleazy than this series did. Ditto for the cat-suit wearing Vulcan that also ran around in panties and t-shirts for the viewer's 'entertainment'.

True. However, if they allowed this kind of stuff back in the 60's, I have the feeling that Gene Roddenberry would have had more revealing outfits for the women.

:
    Won't say it was a total loss, but finale just about gave it that distinction out of all the series.

Yeah, that finale episode was terrible and should never have been made. The two part episode before it would have been a perfect way to end the series (concluding continuing plots that formed throughout the series, and specifically the fourth season; linking the episode with Star Treks which are set later, with the half-vulcan half-human reminding us me of Spock--Phlox said that having such a baby would actually be possible-- and some other examples I can't remember at the moment; they covered the relationships--especially Trip and T'pol's-- much better than the finale handled them; and also, Archer was actually able to make his speech, without having the hollodeck be turned off.) There was no reason they needed that episode. Instead, they could have used that episode to have one more standalone episode, or maybe get rid of one standalone episode and have one more two-part episode.

Skedaddle

[6]Feb 11, 2006
    • level: 2
    I'm a casual trek fan(next gen and ds9) and have only seen a few episodes of enterprise and what i've seen really put me off.The crew sells the whole series and the "enterprise" crew is by far the lamest. Does anyone truly believe they would put the first federation ship into the hands of the "Quantom Leap" guy? The ship looked more like something you would see in voyager or at the end of DS9 rather than the original trek. The episode were the romulans were using a remote ship was dumb cause if you could do that, then why have manned ships at all in the future? Theres just to much to complain about and thats from someone who isn't all obsessive.

Captain59

[7]Feb 13, 2006
    • level: 5
    "North Star" is one of my favorite episodes.

lobomensch

[8]Feb 17, 2006
    :
    I think that the Xindi story was great. I thought that that was when the series really started to become great. However, if you don't like it, that's your opinion. We are all entitled to our opinions, and I respect yours, even if I don't agree.

My main reason for disliking the Xindi storyline, as I mentioned earlier, was it's clumsy attempt to follow current news. I watch series like this to escape hearing just how rotten our world is. If I wanted to be reminded about someone on a chase after terrorists who killed a lot of people while using a weapon of mass destruction, I'd watch CNN before having a Trek series give me thinly digested headlines.

:
    Like I said earlier, that's your opinion, and we are all entitled to our opinions. My father watched the original Star Trek, but didn't watch any of the others until I got him into them. He thinks that Enterprise is very good. In fact, he says that it's one of the better Star Trek series that they made.

To each their own, as you said. This series doesn't distinguish itself to me in terms of characterization, a noted exception being the Doctor. And the anachronisms of the Ferengi, and The Borg being present then are just 2 examples of the overall attempt at rehashing the same characters/situations again for mass consumption as I mentioned before.

:
    True. However, if they allowed this kind of stuff back in the 60's, I have the feeling that Gene Roddenberry would have had more revealing outfits for the women.

If that were the case, though, we would've seen a lot slinkier costumes for the lead female characters after TOS, especially in the 70s. Even until Gene died, you never saw women dressed down the way T'Pol was on this series, or 7 of 9 on Voyager for that matter.

:
    Yeah, that finale episode was terrible and should never have been made. The two part episode before it would have been a perfect way to end the series (concluding continuing plots that formed throughout the series, and specifically the fourth season; linking the episode with Star Treks which are set later, with the half-vulcan half-human reminding us me of Spock--Phlox said that having such a baby would actually be possible-- and some other examples I can't remember at the moment; they covered the relationships--especially Trip and T'pol's-- much better than the finale handled them; and also, Archer was actually able to make his speech, without having the hollodeck be turned off.) There was no reason they needed that episode. Instead, they could have used that episode to have one more standalone episode, or maybe get rid of one standalone episode and have one more two-part episode.

In total agreement with you there. Manny Coto did an excellent job in the 4th season given the cold dish he was served; this was yet another example of Berman's ego/studio politics not knowing when was well enough to leave it alone.

the_cyberleader

[9]Feb 22, 2006
    • level: 14
    Skedaddle wrote:
    The episode were the romulans were using a remote ship was dumb cause if you could do that, then why have manned ships at all in the future? There's just to much to complain about and thats from someone who isn't all obsessive.

The Romulans aren't seen because of the original series. In the time of Kirk, it was unknown what the Romulans looked like, and that is the reason for the remote ships and only the audience seeing the Romulans.

wingsabre

[10]Feb 23, 2006
    • level: 13
    honestly, this series had so much potential. They could have filled in the gaps that the other series didnt. They created the enterprise to look like the akira mainly to satisfy fanboys which really liked the ship. In all honestly they could floated a can in space and focus on the characters more and there would be more attention to the series. It's the stories that make the series not the special effects. I just feel sorry for the actors because most of them didnt get good rolls untill the 4th season.

As for the ship I'd actually prefeer if they did something like a modern sub in space, w/ a trek spin to it, and just use weapons and lingo more 20th century. Nukes instead of photons, and audio communication insead, they would also save on makeup b/c of that.

eliciab

[11]Feb 27, 2006
    • level: 12
    The prequel concept of the series didn't appeal to me. When I heard back then that it was the road we were to go with Enterprise, I decided not to watch even though I'm a huge Trek fan.
    It took many of my friends on other boards (mainly BBS) to convince me to give it a try. I discovered that it was as bad as I expected. The cast was good, far better than what we had in Voyager (Trinneer and Keating being in my opinion the best ones).

Some stories were interesting and new but most of the time you realized that the writers had no clue where they wanted to take us. I lost interest at the end of season 2. After reading that season 3 was better I watched again and only voluntarily missed the last 2 episodes because they were pointless for me (Riker, Troy? WTF??).

The ending was the worst I have seen for any series. What a complete lack of faith and respect for your main cast. It was plainly disgusting.

firedrakes

[12]Apr 27, 2006
    • level: 13
    like everyone said. this series was rehasing everything in the st shows ever made. helll i thought the animated series was better then this. hell i would have watch the show if it started to be good in 4 season.

lobomensch

[13]Apr 28, 2006
    The animated series was far more faithful in continuity over this. True, there were new elements introduced there, like Captain April, glommers, stasis boxes, etc., but you didn't see them throwing out the baby with the bath water when it came to established points.

SRP76

[14]Apr 28, 2006
    • level: 10

lobomensch wrote:
    you didn't see them throwing out the baby with the bath water when it came to established points.

VERY well-put.

I have recently decided to try to FORCE myself to give  ENT another chance, though.

Last week, I sat through the ENTIRETY of "Daedalus". It hurt.

Wish me luck in my quest!

Edited on 04/28/2006 6:36pm

Deanna_T

[15]Apr 28, 2006
    I've only seen s 3 & 4. S3 was decent and s4 rocked..I don't want to kill love for the show with s 1 & 2...well wht i've read on this board.

lobomensch

[16]Apr 29, 2006
    I mainly focus on Phlox and Trip in this series, both are plum roles and well-played. "Daedalus" was a snore, I won't deny that. If I were to recommend a particular run of Enterprise that would be less painful, try the 4th season after the snore of the Xindi cliffhanger episodes, and would also recommend the the first season and first half of the second, Shockwave I & II notwithstanding.

Deanna_T

[17]Apr 29, 2006
    try E2 for s3..good episode...yet again i'm a sucker for a time warp.
    i've spent to much concentrating on the Tripp T'Pol relationship...so addictive and interesting since T'pol is hyped on trilium-d and becomes jealous of Tripp after he starts flitting w/other female crew members...loved it.

SRP76

[18]Apr 29, 2006
    • level: 10
    Well, next up (later tonight, in fact) is "Observer Effect". They seem to be ticking down the final half of season 4.

I've seen MANY half-episodes, but I'm trying to force myself to sit through EVERY LAST MINUTE of these episodes.

This way, I can no longer say that I didn't give ENT a fair chance.

Most people here seem to be quite high on season 4, so I might get lucky.

They better get a lot better than "Daedalus", though, or my newfound "re-dedication" to ENT will wear out quickly.

lobomensch

[19]Apr 29, 2006
    This really is a series where the turnaround will surprise you. I wasn't expecting it either. But that final episode...arrrrrr

Deanna_T

[20]Apr 29, 2006
    ack..I didnot like Daedalus...pointless. Foreshadow of Scotty stuck in the beam, and that dude, Archer's friend also stuck in that thing, then dying when they got him down...*yawn*

ok...Observer Effect. IMO..big let down...but, very, very, good acting on Hoshi's part..all freaky like that..and T'Pol spying on Tripp every 5 mins, then Archer and T'Pol "comsumed" also...