Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

NEW TREK MOVIE!! What the?!

beowulf579

[1]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 59
    From cnn.com

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- More than three years after the last "Star Trek" movie crashed at the box office, the venerable sci-fi franchise is being revived by the director of the upcoming "Mission: Impossible" sequel, Daily Variety reported in its Friday edition.

The as-yet-untitled "Star Trek" feature, the 11th since 1979, is aiming for a fall 2008 release through Paramount Pictures, the Viacom Inc. unit looking to restore its box-office luster under new management, the trade paper said.

The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle "Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5. Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also help write and produce.

Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

The paper described "Star Trek" as Hollywood's most durable performer after James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

The 10th film, "Star Trek: Nemesis," bombed at the box office on its December 2002 release, earning just $43 million in North America. Last year, Viacom-owned broadcast network UPN pulled the plug on the low-rated series "Star Trek: Enterprise" following a four-season run.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kirke_novak

[2]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 9
    QUE!?
    Please, tell me that BBBad boys won't be the one making it...

alex20020712

[3]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 7
    kirke_novak wrote:
    QUE!?
    Please, tell me that BBBad boys won't be the one making it...

The article says who is going to write, direct and produce.

laserhmcsneer

[4]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 15
    Given who is involved to write/produce/direct, I think that it could be quite good.

lobomensch

[5]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 51
    I wonder what the first starship mission will lead to. Possibly crashing into a deserted planer, with all of the crew noticing repeated use of the number 3 and finding a door in the side of a mountain they can't open with their phasers. In the meantime they are hunted by an invisible enemy and are aware that something is going on over on the other side of the mountain, with all the noises they hear. Of course, there are redshirts with them as well.

LithiumAngel420

[6]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 4
    A repost of something I posted on a similar TNG thread.

NO FREAKING WAY. I wanted another movie and all but this is crap. Did Paramount not see the CRAP that came from ENT when they went into the past? Plus, how are we going to see a young Kirk and young Spock (especially since Vulcan's age more slowly) without thinking about Bill and Leonard? TOS fans will not like this, I am predicting. They'd better come up with a better plotline than that if they really intend to do a movie. Why not just do one with the Voyager cast? Grrr, so infuriated about this.

SRP76

[7]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 10
    LithiumAngel420 wrote:
    A repost of something I posted on a similar TNG thread.

NO FREAKING WAY. I wanted another movie and all but this is crap. Did Paramount not see the CRAP that came from ENT when they went into the past? Plus, how are we going to see a young Kirk and young Spock (especially since Vulcan's age more slowly) without thinking about Bill and Leonard? TOS fans will not like this, I am predicting. They'd better come up with a better plotline than that if they really intend to do a movie. Why not just do one with the Voyager cast? Grrr, so infuriated about this.

I couldn't agree more. Prequels always SUCK, end of story. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, here; this is a VERY early idea, and there is a TON of time to completely change their entire plot. The movie could end up being something entirely opposite of the one just described (hopefully).

And Lobo's statement was almost EXACTLY what first went through my mind when I read about Abrams.

I laugh at Lost (and not in a good way), I can't stand Alias, and I absolutely DETEST those dumbassed Mission: Impossible movies. If elements of ANY of these pieces of crap are present in a Trek film, I'll be sorely disappointed.

But perhaps I'm just a stodgy old geezer who can't "get with the times" and praise something just because it's the "popular thing" these days. I know a ton of people who love ALL the aforementioned stuff.

Hopefully, none of this will matter. With any luck, the people in charge will realize what gets over and what doesn't, and we'll get a good movie out of this deal.

I don't have a lot of faith, though.

Deanna_T

[8]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 28
    u kidding...I'm excitced! maybe because I'm still young and still in the process of learning and "practing" Trek.

I once had an idea that they could make a movie consisting of a entirely new cast, crew, aliens, and prodiction teams..a big screen movie that introduces the new crew and stuff mentioned, that leads right into a new show a few monthes later. Although, it prolly wouldent work if the movie is a faliure or folks dont seem to care.

I, to, also hate that overrated waste Lost, Alias seems like it was pulled out from a 3rd world country toilet, and I wont get started on the MI movies. Other than that, I don't know much a/b JJ Abrams. Maybe this movie might be action packed. Something Trek really, really, needs other than double meanings, vast sex, and often times dulled or watered down plots with a slow moving story.

Fellow fans, this is "new" Trek quick and fast considering since 08 will be 3 yrs since ENT met the blender.
    At least we dont have to wait till the 22nd century for anything new to graise tv & wht not. Maybe Trek needs new direction, new breath, new blood to give it a good jump start. Or it could the biggest nail in the coffin. It's our choice, we can sink it or float it...I'm gonna see it.

Who knows...if the movie is a big success..it might lead to a new show or something..and the best part of it all? Internet Nitpicking!

Hey, aleast NO B&B! and No Pat. Stewart (Nothing against the guy)

I was kinda hoping for a Titan movie...to bad Fracks and Sirtis are beyond old.

Anybody gonna go dressed to the new movie? gonna camp out side the theater?

PRAISE THE COLOMBIA...NO KILLA B'S!!!!!!!

lobomensch

[9]Apr 22, 2006
    Thank the Divine Treasury! Just read the following from Trek's own website: Abrams' producing partners from Lost, Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk, are cited as being producers on "Trek XI." This project is separate from the previously rumored script developed by Eric Jendresen and overseen by Rick Berman. The former Star Trek producer is not involved in this project. Notice they said former. Someone finally woke up at Paramount.

Deanna_T

[10]Apr 22, 2006
    • level: 28

At last! Finally Paramount stopped sniffing their farts, and kicked out "him"!!! I'm glad they picked a prequel over B's script...whts better? Current Berman script or prequel done by a new guy? new guy, of course! Abrams just inherentied the biggest, longest, most fragile  franchise in the history of man...wht suspense.

justice came to late for ENT...

LithiumAngel420

[11]Apr 23, 2006
    • level: 4
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 04/23/2006 3:05am

kirke_novak

[12]Apr 23, 2006
    • level: 9

alex20020712 wrote:
    kirke_novak wrote:
    QUE!? Please, tell me that BBBad boys won't be the one making it...
    The article says who is going to write, direct and produce.

Ahm, so they say but can you trust them? Can you really trust them? Are you sure that one day you won't wake up only to find out that some 'changes' has been made? I've been fooled too many times by them besides thay are EVIL and EVIL always knows how to manipulate and have it's way. *hides behindt T'Pol's bum*

jhewitt3211

[13]Apr 27, 2006
    • level: 2
    Deanna_T wrote:

At last! Finally Paramount stopped sniffing their farts, and kicked out "him"!!! I'm glad they picked a prequel over B's script...whts better? Current Berman script or prequel done by a new guy? new guy, of course! Abrams just inherentied the biggest, longest, most fragile  franchise in the history of man...wht suspense.

justice came to late for ENT...

I am not really suprised.  The Star Trek movie or TV franchise will always continue on one way or another:  it will mean a much longer break or time to bring it back but I am sure but it will be back eventually because it is a big money maker for Paramount Productions in the same way James Bond movies are for the United Artists movie studio. 

All we need is to have time, effort, patience, and money to bring it back.

I just hope that Berman and Braga won't be around to screw up the new Star Trek movie or TV show.

lobomensch

[14]Apr 30, 2006
    Nope. As I stated earlier, it says on Star Trek's own website that Berman and Braga are the former producers of Trek. Good bye and good riddance.

heeroyuy2006

[15]Jun 6, 2006
    • level: 8
    A prequel Trek movie has potential. I don't know if I like the Kirk and Spock in Starfleet Academy, but it might work. Maybe Captain April and the newly launched Enterprise NCC-1701 will be in the movie, but personally I'd like to see a prequel movie about the Romulan War. However, the movies that would probably bring Trek fans back to the theater are Excelsior movies, New Frontier movies, or Kirk resurrected movies a la The Return.

Abriel004

[16]Jul 2, 2006
    • level: 8
    I am actually glad they changed their minds about never having Star
    Trek on again and yes as the first person stated it will be coming in
    2008. At least Star Trek has been saved from total collapse.

I am looking forward to this prequel, Star Trek XI when it has been
    released. It's just a crying shame nothing could have been done to
    prevent the collapse of  Enterprise. But maybe they will change their
    minds after making these prequel movies providing they have enough
    people seeing them, you never know.

lobomensch

[17]Jul 2, 2006
    As long as they don't wimp and dumb it down in a corporate fashion, it should do well. Trek is about drama and social parables, not some chick flick/show for kiddies with ADD.

greendude14

[18]Jul 4, 2006
    • level: 1
    is it goin to bea bout archer or picard?

lobomensch

[19]Jul 7, 2006
    Neither. Both actors have moved on to other projects, Stewart has committed himself to at least two years touring with the Royal Shakespeare Company and Bakula is moving back to movies.

whenIpray2U

[20]Jul 7, 2006
    • level: 7
    I wish they would do a Voyager or DS9 movie... but I suppose that would be a horrible lot of work.