Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

NEW TREK MOVIE!! What the?!

lobomensch

[41]Jul 19, 2006
    • level: 51
    Deanna, seeing you as a slave girl -- need to stop giving me ideas, the lupine side of me is barely under control as it is.
    I don't know if Paramount could ever convince "the beautiful people" that Trek is in their social strata. Remember, those kind of people are sociopathic to begin with. No matter who they try to "jazz it up" with, the general perception that most people have will be what the media spews at them. The only way I think that a quality product can be accomplished is to let Paramount know that they will be faced with a lot of bad word of mouth if they don't shape up, as I mentioned in the last thread. Imagine how they'd panic if they knew it was only talk about the movie but e-mails and texting as well.
    BTW, I don't really know what I would be considered in their marketing strategy. Am intelligent but also reasonably good looking -- kind of ruins the media myth about Trek fans. Maybe if more people like me gave our word of mouth they and the public might change their perception, but again that hinges on the media. And to do something about that, we should convince Paramount to get more positive press about Trek and give the media something fresh and different -- more press releases to build up the anticipation, rather than just throwing the film out and hoping people will go see it. That has always been a problem with Trek (and especially in the comic industry) is that no one ever seems to do a good job of promotion/crossover -- give something positive on a regular basis and people will get interested again, including the public non-Trek fans they are trying to aim for to pump up their receipts.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Deanna_T

[42]Jul 19, 2006
    • level: 28

LOL @ lobo...I'd do it...but I need to hire a fat, beared guy to go with me as Riker...just imagine all the gawks I'd get from fanboys. To bad there is not a convention nowhere even near my area and the surrounding areas so there is no hope in that.

I remeber this one time @ school I was sitting down on a bench listening to the N-Gage and drinking water and this dude randomly starts talking to me...and he was like "You like Star Trek?!...wa?" LOL! Like he's never seen a girl into sci-fi it was awesome....

Not only sociopathic but histrioric! LOL...they get into included into a awful sterotype like the rest of us.

The problem with the media promotion is non-fans are already deep rooted with the sterotypes of the fans being overweight, lazy, and annyoing to non-fans who know nothing of the franchise at "stake". It's prolly also hard for the promoters trying to get a good word out, mainly when the show or movie is mainly geared towards fans and other genre related fans. Just imagine being a person who's never even heard of Spock or Kirk going to see that movie because of their fav. big name star...their confusion would just be mindblowing. "What? Whats Warp Drive?!, "Why does that dude have pointed ears?!", "What did they do to my fav. actor?!". Hey, it could mean an end of a career for any big name...confused non-fans watching their protary something they cannot even imagine forthemselves, and us totally rejecting everything  about that movie.

Thats the whole point of the big names. More $$$, not a bigger fanbase, they think are they luring us in when all the pigs are doings is running us away. paramount's misguided attempted to revive the franchise...fat chance.

Edited on 07/19/2006 8:01pm

lobomensch

[43]Jul 28, 2006
    Speaking of assinine stereotypes, we need look no further than the Sci-Fi Channel, the supposed channel for Sci-Fi fans that churns out crap like "Who Wants To Be A Superhero?" Not ONE of those people were real comic fans, or regular people for that matter - I noticed where every one of them were so-called aspiring actors that had some drama schooling. With vomit like this coming from the media on a regular basis (ever notice how they don't mock things like fat football fans painting their beer-bellies or wrestling fans that think the 'wrasslers' are really killing each other? No, because they aren't intelligent and the corporate Nazi media has to keep trashing intellectuals the way our school system does) do you ever expect people will get a better impression of Trek fans in the future? I'll bet money RIGHT NOW that when that movie premieres in 2008, they will have a bunch of corporate whores ("Trekkies" they will call them) acting stupid for the camera and they will focus on these fakers (because real intelligent people like Trek fans DON'T degrade themselves that way) camping out for days, wearing costumes to the theater, etc.

Deanna_T

[44]Jul 31, 2006
    i wont even bother with the "superhero" show...what a waste from a channel that has brought us so much, yet so little. what a shame, real fans cant enjoy thier fav. franchise w/o media slurs further degrading an already "misdirected" genre...it's sad. i cant open my mouth for one minute to speak about one of my fav. treks, w/o something giving me a strange look, or when i talk about my action figures.

i bet the paramount is a gonna pay homeless or stuggleing "actors" to dress up as trek fans and portary real fans in a bad light with screaming, and costumes. i first thought about dressing up, but that would just further degrade the fans, and make myself look bad...two things that arent worth it. wont even bother with the movie...abrams is lying on the tv guide interview...it's a prequel and paramount just lost the true fans money...hope it's a big ugly floop.

lobomensch

[45]Jul 31, 2006
    Sci-Fi used to be it, back in the day, with good movies, old classic shows, and documentaries all for intelligent Sci-Fi. But once it was bought out by USA Network which was in turn bought out by NBC, that's when the real crap-fest began.
    What made me laugh was when I read an article where NBC was saying their shows would be "real contenders this fall". Yeah right. If people won't buy the puke you have on Sci-Fi now (when the hell was pro-wrestling ever considered sci-fi?) what makes NBC think people will buy it this fall? If Paramount has ANY sense at all, they won't let Sci-Fi Channel do ANY "promotion" of the film. Bad enough we have to worry about their execs without these vomit-spewers giving the kind of "coverage" I was talking about in my last post.

Deanna_T

[46]Jul 31, 2006
    i remeber old sci-fi with space theater, old school sci-fi movies, and saturday morning anime. now, it's all insane, unnessasary violent movies on weekends...they can play good movies when they feel like it, but the whole point of the channel is attacting non-scifi fans now. thats why they have a million new shows this year, but the core shows, ie, BSG, and the stargates keep the real fans coming.

knowing sci-fi they'll be having giveaway, after giveway of crap u can just buy at target. then i'll be in hiding from the jeering eyes.

lobomensch

[47]Aug 1, 2006
    I don't really care for either Stargate or BSG. They are the equivelant of junk food when it comes to Sci-Fi. Especially BSG, more about sex and tight uniforms and angry characters than really contributing something worthwhile. The majority of movies now on Sci-Fi are cheapie bug-of-the-month ones or ones that have been played to death on cable and aren't sci-fi at all -- unless "Braveheart" and "Liar Liar" became sci-fi overnight and I wasn't aware of it.
    The first sign I had that Sci-Fi was going downhill was when they did this promotion for "Star Trek: Generations" and they were talking to Malcolm McDowell about his playing Soran. At one point in the interview, McDowell went off on this tangent about how he had run into "snivelling Trekkies" that "couldn't wait to get his autograph." I don't know if he was playing up his villain part at that point or not, but it came off being a real cheap shot, and it made me lose any respect I had for him at that point. You don't work on a franchise movie and then turn around and bite the hand that feeds you, namely the fans that keep the franchise going. He wouldn't have had that job without them. That was in 1995, and the channel has been circling the drain of the toilet ever since.

Deanna_T

[48]Aug 1, 2006
    i need sga to pratically live...but both gates "reek" of trek "oder"...mainly the reason why i started to watch sga in the first place. because it literly oozes trek influence...now i'm tooked, and cant complain. but, last friday's episode was "sitcomish" and i cant have that ruining one of my fav. shows...they havent been adversing the new sga for this week, my guess is they prolly lost half of the viewers due to sitcom style writing...need to visit that bord.

the few times i've watched bsg it's been sex...lots of it....cylon sex..LOL!

sci-fi once played final fantasty some or another the movie..kicked arse.

they did a choice with dead like me on tuedays...good good show. euraka is a decent show...has 2 hot guys in it...

starspike

[49]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 9
    Deanna_T wrote:
    u kidding...I'm excitced! maybe because I'm still young and still in the process of learning and "practing" Trek.

Don't worry... i'm older and I've watched every Trek alive since I was 6. And I'm also excited as hell!

Deanna_T

[50]Aug 2, 2006

@ starspike...I changed my mind dude, I wont a new movie if it's going to be a prequel.

btw, I meant "practicing." I misspelled it.

lobomensch

[51]Aug 2, 2006
    (Yawn) Like there isn't enough "sexy warrior woment" to pander to fanboys enough as it is already. That was what really turned me off BSG to begin with, other than the way they crapped on Tigh's character and Adama/Apollo's relationship, that is making Starbuck and Boomer women. Not that I am discriminating here, they only did this to squeeze in big breasts in tight flight suits for the fanboys, ugh. And human Cylons, especially a Seven Of Nine wannabe? How cheap and trashy can you get? No surprise from network that turns out sexist/infantile humor vomit like "Tripping The Rift".

Deanna_T

[52]Aug 2, 2006
    rotf...tripping the rift is pure garbage...yet i've seen every episode of it because i was bored!!

btw, apollo is hot, those cylons need to get real clothes, and cylon baby!!! lol.

i dread wht abrams might to do to trek...next we'll have "lost in trek" with all sorts of the wierd stuff lost has.

beowulf579

[53]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 59
    Ok...if they are going to make a movie, here are some of my choices:

Prequel:
    1. Romulan Earth War
    (sadly..thats the only interresting theme for a prequel I have)

"Present" Time:
    1. Earth Romulan War- the one that section 31 forsaw
    2. Kelvan Invasion- finally...the first giant wave of Kelvans arrive and are bent on taking over the Alpha Quadrant...and then the galaxy

Prequel, Present and Future:
    1. A story about a Federation Timeship. All new actors and ship. Not quite sure what idea for the main plot...but the ship would intersect in familiar or not so familiar points in the Star Trek time line. I get this image of the timeship in the middle of the Romulan/Earth war and the Enterprise-E is getting pummled by 3 Warbirds. But since the main story doesn't involve that timeline..the timeship leaves...leaving the outcome of the battle in the air.

Just some thoughts...but plz...no Kirk/Spock prequels

lobomensch

[54]Aug 3, 2006
    No Romulans... The media will automatically pick that up as being the reason for the last flop. You know how they will distort things to be sensational.
    Kelvans sound neat, it's pretty much what I was thinking will probably be done -- use an otherwise underdeveloped species or new one altogether. Things I could see would be the Earth-Cardassian war in Ben Maxwell/O'Brien's time, the Sheliak, or even more TOS-related species and their dealings with the Federation, like Gorn, Tholians, and Excalbians/Melkotians. The timeship idea would't go over with execs much less general audiences. Time-travel stories are a good part of what killed Enterprise, no need to repeat that.

beowulf579

[55]Aug 3, 2006
    I like alot of the ideas floating about....but maybe it would be in the best interest of Star Trek to test the waters a little bit. Maybe a mini-series to see if ppl are ready for a new angle on Star Trek.

I still think a mini-series having different stories within the same timeframe would be nice. Maybe the untold stories of the Dominion War and such.

lobomensch

[56]Aug 3, 2006
    Could see a story involving Section 31, and a hunt for changelings on Earth, in regards to the Dominion War storyline. Lots of routes that could take, like them trying to sabotage Utopia Planitia, the McKinley station, etc.

beowulf579

[57]Aug 4, 2006
    lobomensch wrote:
    Could see a story involving Section 31, and a hunt for changelings on Earth, in regards to the Dominion War storyline. Lots of routes that could take, like them trying to sabotage Utopia Planitia, the McKinley station, etc.

I like that....it would make a good mini-series. Also could give a chance to get fans "up to speed" on the current Star Trek world. Quite a few fans are TNG Trekkers...but might not be well versed on DS9 or even Voyager.

lobomensch

[58]Aug 5, 2006
    There hasn't been a series set around Betazed, either. OF course, we could have Lwaxanna on a regular basis, yes?

Deanna_T

[59]Aug 5, 2006
    Lwaxana, you said Lwaxana!! Btw, it's with one n!!! An entire series around Betazed... and of course we would have crazy camios with Deanna and Will and the Titian

Oh, a series centered around that place...prepare to have the FCC after you on a daily basis with all the sex, sex, menage a troi's, love triangles, orgys, the whole works, or better yet the spice channel.

lobomensch

[60]Aug 6, 2006
    I could picture them doing the traditional Betazed wedding with scenes like in "Austin Powers," having conveniently placed flower wreaths and punch bowls. This could be like "The Love Boat," except having Lwaxanna run a hotel for newlyweds and singles. It would be the "feel good" show of the franchise, quite literally. With frequent trips to Risa, of course.