Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

Opening song

spookyspock

[21]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 3
    That song will be played in HELL! On that same mix tape: The Macarana, It's A Small World, and Who Let The Dogs Out?
    That song was utterly wretched! It was a VERY welcome change of pace when they had an orchestrated intro for "In A Mirror, Darkly".
    Besides....Everytime I hear that song, it gets stuck in my head for a several days and I can't help but imagine the elderly, haggered Rod Stewart from South Park singing it!
    Yikes!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Adora_Mill

[22]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 2
    I like the song. It's on my cellphone. But to tell you the truth, I like the version in 1st and 2nd seasons, not the latest one. Can't really understand, why you gyes hate it so much? Well, for the people who has everything since childhood you couldn't understand the words. This song is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. What so ennoble in the songs of let's say, M. Manson?
    Edited on 04/16/2008 9:23am

baskok

[23]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 9
    The opening song was dissapointing a lot of fans couldn't handle the change between space the final frontier and i've got soul in my heart or something crappy like it.

Adora_Mill

[24]Jun 14, 2008
    I've got faith of the heart.. first of all. As to the final frontier, it was written for 1980s. It's new age at your porch. Stop crying over the past.

Glornt

[25]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 12

As others here have said, the song grew on me (the original mix moreso than the remix), and I could even see how it fit into the opening images showing early real-life space explorers, but it still was not Trek. Another thread here discusses the weird theory that too much sex (I guess Jolene Blalock's wardrobe) killed Enterprise, which is nuts -- if it was Rosie O'Donnell in those outfits they'd have a point -- but perhaps all of this "making it contemporary", if this song was part of that, may have hurt it more than helped. Think about it -- all the technology of the earlier Enterprise looks newer than TOS. I know that TV technology has improved greatly since the '60s, but there didn't seem to be much effort to make the show's technology fit the timeline; it just didn't feel prequel-y enough. Also, as much as the producers probably thought they were being wonderful people by doing so, the political correctness that infused this series was not appealing, either -- for example, the anti-hunting episode (Rogue Planet) -- although when I saw that Scott Bakula was going to be the captain I pretty much saw it coming. Still, I'll even watch bad sci-fi and this was at least mediocre if not adequate sci-fi (better than new BSG but worse than both SGs), and I miss not having any new ST.

SubJunk2006

[26]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 7
    The song was just terrible, it sounds so cheesy. I love the show, I'm re-watching it all at the moment and I still can't stand to sit there while the opening credits roll, I have to skip it. Thank God for DVD chapters.
    I thought for sure they would change the song after season 1, but then they didn't change it at all (aside from remixing) and I really think the show would have been more successful if not for that song. The video in the credits was great, with the Mars Rovers etc, it is stunning visually, but then this overly cheesy song... I know a lot of fans of the show IRL with the same opinion, in fact everyone I have watched it with has commented on the song being bad, I don't think I've ever had someone sit through it without commenting on it badly, definitely no good comments ever.
    This rant has been pent up inside me for years haha so forgive me for the pointless flame

SubJunk2006

[27]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 7

spookyspock wrote:
    It was a VERY welcome change of pace when they had an orchestrated intro for "In A Mirror, Darkly".

Yes! When I saw it at first I thought they had finally changed that awful theme song and it was such a relief from the cheese

Adora_Mill

[28]Jul 12, 2008
    SubJunk2006, you have this opinion just because everyone around you was repeting "the song is s...s". You're own impression is built over it.
    I completely agree abot technology. Probably, the show closer to me exactly because of it. It's unbelievably close to times I live in.
    As to the song, arguing here you won't change anything.

Rattrap007

[29]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 14
    I liked it myself. I think it fits the series. Especially the early seasons.

The lyrics and images really tell the tale of humanity's road of exploration. We see a primitive sailing ship, then a cutter from the golden age of sailing with ancient nautical maps. Then we move into images of a hot air balloon, Spirit of St. Louis, Wright Brothers, and footage of early space travel like Apollo mission, walking on the moon, Mars pathfinder, Int. Space Station and beyond. Cochran's warp ship, first early low warp ship and finally Enterprise NX-01.

We hear "It's been a long road getting from there to here. It's been a long time, but my time is finally here.." It means the tens of thousands of years man has spent up to that point. All the struggles we went through. Now we are ready to travel the universe and explore. "And they're not gonna hold me down no more. NO they're not going to change my mind." Referring to the Vulcan's keeping info from us.

and so on..

Yes they could have gone with the traditional theme songs. But I think the song they used really fits. They have to have faith in this new ship. It is untested and they are the first. Now if this was a series set shortly before Kirk's time (like 20 years) then I can see it. But it is set about 100+ (?) before. It is a entirely different time for space travel.

jrsgalaxy

[30]Jan 8, 2009
    • level: 14
    Rattrap007 wrote:
    I liked it myself. I think it fits the series. Especially the early seasons.

The lyrics and images really tell the tale of humanity's road of exploration. We see a primitive sailing ship, then a cutter from the golden age of sailing with ancient nautical maps. Then we move into images of a hot air balloon, Spirit of St. Louis, Wright Brothers, and footage of early space travel like Apollo mission, walking on the moon, Mars pathfinder, Int. Space Station and beyond. Cochran's warp ship, first early low warp ship and finally Enterprise NX-01.

We hear "It's been a long road getting from there to here. It's been a long time, but my time is finally here.." It means the tens of thousands of years man has spent up to that point. All the struggles we went through. Now we are ready to travel the universe and explore. "And they're not gonna hold me down no more. NO they're not going to change my mind." Referring to the Vulcan's keeping info from us.

and so on..

Yes they could have gone with the traditional theme songs. But I think the song they used really fits. They have to have faith in this new ship. It is untested and they are the first. Now if this was a series set shortly before Kirk's time (like 20 years) then I can see it. But it is set about 100+ (?) before. It is a entirely different time for space travel.
    I have to say I agree. But they could have still made it sound more like Trek if they tried. I know current shows from the 2000's and now incorporated nice catchy songs on their intro (like Roswell and Gilmore Girls for example)and that fact alone gives people certain impressions and feelings that makes them like the show that much more. Lke they say "When in Rome"

drdan2410

[31]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 52
    I don't care what anyone else says I love this song.