Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

Stereotypical British Characters - Why?

thedeathdefyer

[1]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 22

Those of you who are British, like myself, may find this annoying also - I know I do! Why do American films/TV shows also depict British people as stereotypically the posh, stuck up, upper class? The episode Silent Enemy is a perfect example of this - when Hoshi contacts his Malcolm's parents & sister they are all completely stereotypically posh.

Soes anyone else agree with me or am I just getting frustrated over nothing? Lol.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mafeu

[2]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 69
    Generally I assume (when I see an incorrectly portrayed Brit) that the producers of said show have never met a British person. Perhaps it's also to cater to the audience...

thedeathdefyer

[3]Dec 24, 2007

Perhaps, but then they should do their research. Surely they know that all British people aren't like that. It's like saying all American's are Rednecks but you always see a variety of different Americans with different backgrounds, attitudes, accents etc. but almost all the time British people are portrayed as the "stiff upper lip" type.

Lol. You can tell this is something that I get annoyed about! I jut hate this because the image that is being portrayed to an American audience is that we are all like that but we're not!

Mafeu

[4]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 69
    You'd think wouldn't you. The thing that annoys me the most is the accent that they portray as British.

copygeek

[5]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 13
    I always got the impression that Malcolm grew up in a posh household. He always spoke so proudly of his family's naval tradition and how his father was disappointed in him for not joining the Royal Navy. I wouldn't expect Malcolm's family to speak cockney, that's for sure.

beowulf579

[6]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 59
    Well....Bashir off of DS9 was a little stuck up in some ways. Thought that could be due to genetic engineering.

lobomensch

[7]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 51
    Bashir was a spoiled child, at that, his parents overcompensating for his earlier difficulties/"defects" - it made the perfect explanation for his character.
    As for Malcolm in the Middleton, I kinda thought that aspect of his character was annoyingly cliche, too. Who knows, they may have even had him prancing around in a Robin Hood costume... (though Tripp was more the swashbuckler type, very interested in booty)

thedeathdefyer

[8]Dec 29, 2007
    I just wish that the Americans would put a "normal" British character in their TV Shows, not the cliche kind.

lobomensch

[9]Jan 1, 2008
    • level: 51
    And I wish that Americans as well as British and other people would put normal people from the Southern US on shows. Not ones that "talk lahk thess" and eat pecan pie and go on about life in the country. Being a Southerner myself, I am pretty tired of this too -- even though I liked Trip, there were stereotypical parts of his character that really grated on my nerves.

lazyjay

[10]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 30
    Oh, come on now!

Relying on those stereotypes is simply a handy tool which enables the writers to avoid the hard work involved in all that pain in the ass character development!

Bring on the stereotyes! We need more drunken Scotsmen and Irishmen, more brash and backward Americans and more quiet, reserved and aloof Englishmen. The only thing that would have made the Star Trek franchise any better would have been to have a principal character who was an Australian named Bruce! Of course we can't forget the anti-stereotypes to point out the cultural sensitivites.

Before anyone gets their panties in a twist make note that I posted this with my toungue planted firmly in my cheek.

MrShotShot

[11]Jan 15, 2008
    • level: 15
    thedeathdefyer wrote:

Those of you who are British, like myself, may find this annoying also - I know I do! Why do American films/TV shows also depict British people as stereotypically the posh, stuck up, upper class? The episode Silent Enemy is a perfect example of this - when Hoshi contacts his Malcolm's parents & sister they are all completely stereotypically posh.

Soes anyone else agree with me or am I just getting frustrated over nothing? Lol.

I can see where you're coming from and completely understand given how Americans are typically portrayed on TV aroundtheWorld. In this case, though, Malcolm is exactly how I would expect him to be given that his family have been officers in the Royal Navy going back generations.

Not to mention, isn't everyone in Star Trek a bit posh?

Clemontine

[12]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 23
    I never noticed. I wasnt even aware there were British stereotypes.

spookyspock

[13]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 3
    As Eddie Izzard said, it's all because of the Revolutionary War.
    "What is it, Left-tenent Sebastian?"

Adora_Mill

[14]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 2
    No people, you're wrong. To tell you the truth, Malcolm's not posh, nothing of it. I find him interesting, amazin person. And if you noticed, T'Pol make fun on everyone of the crew BUT Malcolm. Doesn't this says she holds him in high respect?

baskok

[15]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 9
    I'm dutch myself, I'm just wondering how they would have created an dutch character on the show. It always has to have a sterotypical character on an american show. Perhaps a weed smoking fairly direct person with more of a german accent.

lazyjay

[16]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 30
    baskok wrote:
    I'm dutch myself, I'm just wondering how they would have created an dutch character on the show. It always has to have a sterotypical character on an american show. Perhaps a weed smoking fairly direct person with more of a german accent.
    And wooden shoes!

chriseternal

[17]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 32
    I couldn't agree more. In fact that is one reason I find Malcom's character annoying. He's so stereotypical. Family Guy is another show that touches on this, although in a more amusing way.

copygeek

[18]May 6, 2008
    • level: 13

baskok wrote:

The problem is we would NEVER have a Dutch character as a regular on an American show. This is for two reasons:

1. Most of us have never even MET a Dutch person, so we have no idea what to stereotype

2. Since most of us have never met a Dutch person... we don't ever think about you. Ever.

Sorry, but it's true. We're far more likely to (and sometimes do) have stereotypical Canadian or Mexican characters as regulars on our shows. And, to be honest, since you guys are called Dutch, and there is no place called Dutchland (other than Deutchland, which is, of course, Germany) the few of us who actually HAVE thought about the Dutch on occasion can't actually identify where any of you live. I'm going to guess the Netherlands, but it could just as easily be Switzerland, or even Norway, and we probably wouldn't give a damn!

Again, sorry!

Adora_Mill

[19]Jun 10, 2008
    • level: 2
    Copygeek, it's a shame to be so uneducated. To enlightment of everyone who's interested, here are some facts:
    Dutch The language we speak in The Netherlands, Belgium, Suriname, South Africa, and the Netherlands Antilles. The Netherlands is also known as Holland. "Dutch" In Dutch: Nederlands. Anyone who says that Dutch is German for German is wrong and wouldn't even recognise Dutch. So unlike a lot of US, UK or other native English-speaking people think, Dutch is NOT German! Dutch may be a little simmular to German, but it's more closely related to English. Dutch is a Germanian language, just like German and English. (french, italian, and spanish are romanian languages). Dutch is more closely related to English on the grammar, but the vocab is more Germanish. Dutch is in between English and German, but still is a whole language on its own - it's NOT English and NOT German. Dutch is a lanuage, spoken by about 20 milion spread over The Netherlands, Belgium and the Netherlands antilles.

cale1234567

[20]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 7
    G,day crew ,this is captian bruce archer here
    last one on the beach is black widow