Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

Stereotypical British Characters - Why?

Adora_Mill

[21]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 2
    So, what was it all about?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cale1234567

[22]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 7
    austrailian star ship captain accidently barbeques crew
    then goes surfing in stereotypical shocker

jrsgalaxy

[23]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 14
    ANd what about all the Mexican-AMericans that are portrayed on American Tv all say " Whats up ,holmes"Mexican -Americans may act like that ,but not all of us. And mostly the ones they do depict are hispanics from California. We are all over the US. Not just Cali. For example in South Texas where im from we dont act or talk like nothing like those stereotypes on tv.

Rich1701

[24]Sep 24, 2009
    • level: 3
    It's not just us Brits, Don't you think Chacotay in voyager was a sterotypical American Indian? The Studio prefers that people identify with their perception of what people have other cultures not the reality or even the remote possibility that they might be individuals, anything else might "confuse" the audience and alienate them. That is a long held patronising attitude in Hollywood.

archangelwho

[25]Feb 11, 2010
    • level: 19
    They do the same thing to us from the Southern part of the US on US tv. I watch a lot of BBC. The BBC seem to think all of us in the USA comes from either New York or Texas.

IAmsterdam

[26]Apr 20, 2010
    • level: 7

Well I think that writers of shows all over the world are somewhat arrogant people. They find almost everybody else than their own irritating people and thus when they need to depict someone from any ethnic group in a series or story they will try to make an archetype of it. The concensus on British all over the world is that they are stuck-up sons of beaches [censorship] Which is better than the Congney, unintelligible beer slurping moron that British can also be. The same consensus goes for Americans. The archetype is this dollar grubbing "I'll take it from you" imbecil that is soooo full of himself that cannot see himself as anything less than the lord of this planet. Or the French is always been shown as this ill-groomed, well dressed, wine sipping coward (except of course for Luc Besson who just rocks) because they have agreeably lost all wars that we know of! The germans, Scandinavian etc., etc.

Soo take it all lightly, writers all over the place are the same; they have to as their lords just want a quick script that is cheap.Laughing

Yaspaa

[27]May 31, 2010
    • level: 80
    Posh English accents are easier to understand than a lot of other English dialects. I'm from Northern England and When I've visited America I got puzzled looks whenever I spoke. That's probably why they always use it.