Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

The end of the last episode

minimax34

[1]Mar 3, 2006
    • level: 58
    what do you think of it?? did you like it??

and did you see than in the end, when they present all the ships, Voyager is missing !!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Deanna_T

[2]Mar 4, 2006
    • level: 28
    painful, painful memories i dare not talk about.

i don't really remember the last scene in which the ships came out. i do remember the speaking, and i think it was only to symbolize the enterprise ships, since the show was named "enterprise". or maybe to "wrap" up the continuity of the ships.

eliciab

[3]Mar 5, 2006
    • level: 12
    I never watched the last episode completely. I have it but I just can't bring myself to recognize this as the last episode of Enterprise. As far as I am concerned These are the voyages never happened. It was a pointless story and being a huge Trip-fan, I just can't accept that they killed him.

Hungry_Homer111

[4]Mar 5, 2006
    • level: 26
    I HATED the final episode!!!

I don't want to go into a rant about how terrible it is.

I just want to forget it.

lobomensch

[5]Mar 7, 2006
    • level: 51
    I try not to think of it. Leave it up to Berman and Braga to totally destroy this series in one episode.

kirke_novak

[6]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 9
    I did to this episode as I did with everything that is beyond 'Out of Time' in Red Dwarf: in my mind IT DOES NOT EXIST!!!!! It never happend.

lobomensch

[7]Mar 9, 2006
    Even "Star Trek: The Animated Series" is truer Trek than this drivel.

jhewitt3211

[8]Mar 24, 2006
    • level: 2
    Hungry_Homer111 wrote:
    I HATED the final episode!!!

I don't want to go into a rant about how terrible it is.

I just want to forget it.

You are in good company.

Even Jolene Blalock who played Tpol thought that the Enterprise finale was terrible:

http://www.trektoday.com/news/070305_02.shtml

As quoted from Ms. Blalock: "I don't know where to begin with that one...the final episode is...appalling."

lobomensch

[9]Mar 24, 2006
    From what I recall, Blalock stated this before the episode even aired. Am surprised she wasn't held to some confidentiality clause concerning this in her contract, or from making public statements that were detrimental.

Deanna_T

[10]Mar 24, 2006
    no reminders! no reminds..the last epi. never happaned! tripp's death was a conspiracry!

lobomensch

[11]Mar 25, 2006
    Who was behind that conspiracy, hmm? Enquiring minds want to know.

Deanna_T

[12]Mar 25, 2006
    lobomensch wrote:
    Who was behind that conspiracy, hmm? Enquiring minds want to know.

Lobo: B&B of course! Who else?

I watched S3 like a hawk & noticed many something particular. I actully had a blog on this same topic thing back in Jan. Might sound like inate ranting.

S3:

1.episode- "Simlitude":

Tripp almost dies from having a bad fall from a bad explosion...Plocx clones Sim-Tripp for his brain to save the real Tripp. Now, someone always come close to death, and this was a 1st attempt of something more.

2. E2
    Ok, this is where I really took notice. Another Enterprise from another universe meets the "current" ENT crew. Turns out other universe ship is sent back in time to "current" universe and has to wait till the future to finally make contant & the other-uni ship is generational. Then it happans....Tripp n T'Pol find out they had a son!? Hmmmm..sound familar? Tripp n the son talk and get to now each better. Till the son drops that Tripp died when the son was 14...hmmm..again? Tripp is hinted that he dies?

This is wht I thought:

1. B&B had plans cooking for later on in the show. Duh, b/c it was almost the end of the season & the show had low ratings. Were those 2 already to axe Trek? That they had to hint that they were going to kill off ENT's most beloved charater, to make sure it won't be coming back? Did they work off the idea 1st "kid" that a new kid would be written in later on?

Then s4 came.

Ok, nothing here. But until the last episode. Tripp finally gets wht they were planning for him. DEATH. bad death, has another kid w/dam T'Pol...*sigh* it seemed familiar...

sorry, but i had a better argument on that blog, but's gone now...

lobomensch

[13]Mar 26, 2006
    Deanna, after Vermin failed with the "death" of Data and the reaction to the lame "B4" android, he pretty much figured he would try again, hoping to get the "emotional resonance" that Nemesis didn't get. Hint to Vermin: Trying to rip off Spock's death not once but twice isn't giving emotional depth, it's just bad writing.
    I'm a big comic fan, and one thing any good comic writer (there are a lot of them out there, including ones that have done Trek novels as well, like Peter David and Jan Friedman) will tell you is that killing a character off is just plain laziness, hoping that the accompanying shock value will sell the story. Didn't work in Nemesis and really backfired on them here. I think that Vermin may have planned this for mid-series, to try getting more audience in, but when he saw the whole series tanking, he felt that would be the icing on the cake of his finale, as you said, hoping that it would resonate with viewers. Amazing how this idiot thinks that ignoring the fans won't endanger the franchise -- what franchise can really survive if it's own fans are badmouthing it?

eliciab

[14]Mar 27, 2006
    Trip never died, end of story
    This bulls* wasn't worth airing and I don't regret never have seen it in its entirity.

LithiumAngel420

[15]Mar 27, 2006
    • level: 4
    I agree with Lobo. Well said.

Deanna_T

[16]Mar 27, 2006
    Lobo: I didnot think of it that way..
    I remember Data's death....pointless to a almost movie pointless movie. Spock's "death" also useless. It ruined Krath of Kahn for me, & Search for Spock did no justice.
    Then they killed him off in conufusing one of the books-- Captain's Blood by Shatner & the Reeves-Stevens set after Nemsis.

I remember that the "final" episode was a supposed 2 be a mid-season thing. But the show was failing, so they did a permant death thing, tied in with a lame-o TNG episode which had nothing to do with anything. T & R did not have any thing to do with any thing, nor did that TNG episode. The "last" episode was to scare the fans half-to-death in hopes it would bring back viewers instead of aliente. Hoping to get some type of reaction trying to get ppl to wait a week or for a new season to see if Trip really died.
    Yes, it did backfire...ppl still talk bad about ENT and B&B. It's not ENTs fault that the show tanked so early...we know who to blame.

The manga (japanese comics) that I've read, when a charater dies, they sometimes return resurrected from the dead or as an altered state. As in super strength with some type pysochis kinda thing making the charater evil or just really wierd. Maybe they could have similar to that, but it would cause more harm than good.

The whole thing still confuses me and I've managed to block out that "ending". Like elicab said it never happaned.

Yes, well said Lobo.

lobomensch

[17]Mar 27, 2006
    Deanna & Elicab:

Trip's death, though, however, should remain an absolute, as much as I dislike saying that. Resurrecting him or pretending it never happened would only hurt the character even further. I remember when the proposed Alien sequel would have where Ripley's death/resurrection et al. from III and IV would have it where that was all a dream she had in hypersleep, but do we really need a repeat of Bobby Ewing?
    Now that Trek is over, in a sense, it's time to re-examine what made it endure as long as it did. Dune buggies and catsuits should be put aside, and the original focus should come back, of exploration.
    That is where, both Nemesis and Enterprise failed, in their status quo of using humanoids with bumps/ears and universal translator almost never needing to be used. What ever happened to encountering new civilizations, life forms? B & B not only failed in any real new innovations, they also stuck Trek as a whole in a deadly rut. Sort of like Manga. Except instead of saucer-eyed guys and women in schoolgirl uniforms, here we were left with technobabble and formulaic conclusions.
    The typical Berman formula first reared it's ugly head on Next Gen. was a lot something like this:
    first 5 minutes: Colony/race/ship/planet/crewmember in trouble.
    next 15: yap about what can't be done
    next 20: hem and haw on solution, spout tons of technobabble
    final 5: resolve problem half-heartedly, then head out wondering why they didn't have the cojones to have just eradicated the problem altogether.
    Lather, rinse, repeat. Not just laundry instructions any more!
    The only thing that can save Trek now won't be resurrections or altered characters, it will be enticing good writers back to clean up the mess the two of them made. Until Paramount realizes that, they will continue losing money on a once very lucrative franchise, more profitable than Indiana Jones, believe it or not! 40th anniversary and nothing on to show for it, now that is a damn disgrace.

LithiumAngel420

[18]Mar 27, 2006
    • level: 4
    I agree with Lobo again. Anyone suprised by that? Anylitical and witty!

I completely agree with the episode breakdown. Most of the second half of the series is like that, and a bit before the halfway mark as well.

eliciab

[19]Mar 28, 2006
    lobomensch wrote:
    Deanna & Elicab:

Trip's death, though, however, should remain an absolute, as much as I dislike saying that.

I totally agree and I don't want to ressurect him. But he is dead and being my favorite character in that show, this is why I don't want a reprise of Enterprise.
    But as I never actually watched completely the last episode, I can easily pretend that he is not dead... not that will change anything for anyone else. It's just my little fantasy world

alex20020712

[20]Mar 28, 2006
    • level: 7
    lobomensch wrote:
    Dune buggies and catsuits should be put aside, and the original focus should come back, of exploration.
    That is where, both Nemesis and Enterprise failed, in their status quo of using humanoids with bumps/ears and universal translator almost never needing to be used. What ever happened to encountering new civilizations, life forms?

In that sense, Voyager was the biggest failure of all. They are thrown to the opposite side of the galaxy, and what do they find? Humanoids. Everywhere. And they do not think twice about it, nor do the aliens think twice about seeing humanoid Federation people. TOS had more alien-looking aliens, and they had a much smaller budget.