Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

Vulcan nerve pinch

alyssa01

[1]Aug 3, 2007
    • level: 15
    Could the Vulcan nerve pinch really work? What i mean is if someone was to try to learn,would they ever suceed?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Chris3123

[2]Aug 3, 2007
    • level: 4
    For it to really work there has to actually be a nerve or something in the human neck that can cause the person to black out when appropriate pressure is applied to it. And if there is, I'm certain it would already be known about.

Tronman100

[3]Aug 4, 2007
    • level: 11

I read something on Wikipedia about a possible, real life, pressure point on the neck that might cause blackout when stimulated preceisly, but it's not quite the same thing.

Edited on 08/04/2007 5:48am

texicogirl

[4]Aug 6, 2007
    There is a nerve that leads from the shoulder to the neck that when porperly hit will knock you to your knees, but I bon't think it will cause you to blackout. If you watch some of the action shows from that time like Mission Impossible, I Spy, and Star Trek TOS you will see them hit someone on the shoulder with a karate chop and they pass out, but in the real world I don't think that happens. If you were to hit someone hard enough to make them blackout you would probably wind up breaking their collar bone.

copygeek

[5]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 13

texicogirl wrote:
    There is a nerve that leads from the shoulder to the neck that when porperly hit will knock you to your knees, but I bon't think it will cause you to blackout. If you watch some of the action shows from that time like Mission Impossible, I Spy, and Star Trek TOS you will see them hit someone on the shoulder with a karate chop and they pass out, but in the real world I don't think that happens. If you were to hit someone hard enough to make them blackout you would probably wind up breaking their collar bone.

I actually used that (the "nerve" pinch) once when I was in a fight. You are correct that it won't make you blackout, but it does cause temporary pain that, if done right, can subdue an opponent for a moment. You have to experiment a little to find the right spot, but it is close to the base of the neck and just above the collar bone. Sometimes people are more sensitive to the pinch on one side than they are to the other side. I've also found that the more muscular the person the harder it is to pull this off, because you need access to the soft tissue between the shoulder and the neck.

PS. Even though I've only used it in a fight ONCE, I used it many times when I wanted to just annoy people in high school. But that was 15 years ago. I've matured greatly since then!

Edited on 08/06/2007 9:41pm

sfviewer

[6]Aug 7, 2007
    • level: 27
    i saw an episode of ripley's believe or not, in one episode a martial arts expert, i think he was an expert in aikido, he said he's able to incapacitate any person with just one touch. there was a demo, a volunteer opponent attacked him, and this expert just struck the attacker with a pinch on his arm, the attacker didn't blackout but fell on his back and he lost the control of his body. an emt team was standing by to assist the volunteer attacker.

SanchoEx

[7]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 7

Well I always assumed it was because Vulcans are touch telepaths, that when they touched a person they sent a telepathic shock through this touch, effectively "shorting out" the person. But then that doesn;t explain how Data used it though.

alyssa01

[8]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 15
    i don't think it could be a telepathic thing because not all Vulcan's have the ability to meld which i assume means that they aren't true telepaths but i do like all the examples that you are all giving because it gives me hope that the nerve pinch may actually be possible which would be cool beyond words!

Mikoto_sohma

[9]Aug 17, 2007
    those are all true but dont forget that Vulcans are all about control and Data being an android would also be in full control. Also, Vulcans are unusually strong and so are androids. Both, also, are uncannily precise.

By this can we assume that they just analyze a weak poin in which they appy force to and then just knoc em out because of pain? Plus, who knows? Maybe it's not the bone or area itself but what the pinch DOES to the area and how the body reacts... it mght just send some message to the brain or something...y'know.. like how seeing blood can make us faint.

Intrepyd-45

[10]Aug 20, 2007
    • level: 8

I've seen a few interesting points raised here. Taking into consideration that Data was able to perform the Vulcan nerve pinch pretty much shatters my beleif on the matter. I've always believed that the Vulcan physiology had more to do with it than their superior strength. Take into consideration their unique ability to Mind Meld. I for one believe that the Vulcan nervous system is the cause of their talents. Their hands, for example, serve as conduits for deep telepathic links, it stands to reason that there must be synaptic pathways of sorts in their hands that allow Mind Melds to be possible. I've always believed that it is these same nerves that are used to send a shock into the nerve in the necks of their targets, not a telepathic shock, more comparable to being stung by jellyfish.

It doesn't surprise me in the least tha a sophisticated android like Data was able to do the same thing; a small shock into that nerve would have an effect identical to that of the Vulcan nerve pinch.

Mikoto_sohma

[11]Aug 25, 2007
    Also true.