Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

Was the Xindi season so bad?

beowulf579

[1]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 59

I've been watching the Xindi season again for the second time and I can't see why it is always dogged on. It's not that bad. Don't get me wrong....the Dominion story arc of DS9 was better but still.....the Xindi staory arc isn't that bad either.

The only complaint I have with the Xindi arc is how it all began. If you super weapon isn't quite ready....why use your primary target as a test? That would be like dropping the Trinity bomb on Okinawa, Japan before dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki during WWII. Why give your enemy a heads up?

Now there were some slow moments during the season but considering that long stretching story arcs are not a trademark of the Star Trek Universe..I think they did ok with it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tronman100

[2]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 11
    I didn't like it at first either, but once I sit down and watched it all together as it's own independent thing I ended up really liking it too, for the most part.

And you're right, I never thought about how it was kinda dumb to test it on us first and give us a warning. Maybe they wanted to test it on an inhabited world and didn't want to try it on some random species lol.

Jacks_Son

[3]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 13
    I happen to like the Xindi season. It's the season where ENT really starts to kick it into high gear.

iamralphiam

[4]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 6

Jacks_Son wrote:
    I happen to like the Xindi season. It's the season where ENT really starts to kick it into high gear.
    yup and i know this has been said repetivly but I believe if it started off with this arc at the end of the 1st season (compiling all the good S1 and S2 together..... what little there was...) this show wouldnt have lost all of its viewers. I've recently watched the S1-3 (I'm midway threw 4--loving the mini-arcs infact even if I think theres some major conservative basing that I dont agree with or think fits in ST universe) and while I thought I would be glad when i hit the end I dont think I will be anymore.... infact it makes me madder at B&B than I ever have been (and trust me, i already think they ruined ST and drove the fans away so I'm pretty upset with them)...

on a side note I am considering watching the last episode before the final arc (since I won't skip it entirely but I heard its very bad)... any thoughts?

belial_77

[5]Oct 30, 2007
    • level: 17
    I kinda liked the new approach to the characters taken in season 3... you have T'Pol strung out on Vulcan Smack, Trip going crazy with grief, and the Cap'n being forced to become a pirate... not to mention the way the entire crew had to cope with becoming a military vessel instead of the exploration they were originally assigned to.

poundpuppy29

[6]Oct 30, 2007
    • level: 5
    This season had it's ups and downs. I liked it.

Jacks_Son

[7]Oct 31, 2007
    • level: 13
    With regard to the last episode, if you're already angry with B&B, then the last episode may tip you over the edge. It was a total insult to the fans of ENT and added NOTHING to the story. In fact, it was an insult to the cast as well.

lennydonkey

[8]Oct 31, 2007
    • level: 12
    I had already bailed on Enterprise when the xindi arc originally aired, so I saw it on DVD. I really liked it. Watching episodes close together you really see what they were going for, and (I think) for a large part succeeded. I liked the dominion arc on DS9 far more, but in fairness they had a good 3-4 seasons to unfold a much larger story. But a season long story unfolding with a defined beginning middle and end, with many self-contained quality episodes was just what the show needed. It was also nice that they took a break from messing with established continuity and the ridiculous temporal cold war. Too bad they didn't start a season or two earlier.

sfviewer

[9]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 27
    i really enjoyed watching the xindi conflict.

Lazdude

[10]Nov 16, 2007
    • level: 6
    The Xindi saga was probably the best accomplishment of Enterprise. It reminded me of the kind of season-based plots from Stargate SG1 and began picking up the show's slow start. The segway into season 4 was also very well done.

lazyjay

[11]Nov 17, 2007
    • level: 30
    I just recently saw what, I believe, was the big climax of the Xindi story line (I haven't seen the whole series yet). It was great right up until the end where Archer "dies" and the Enterpritse ends up in the past... it stinks too much of a story that ends with "And then I woke up and it was all a dream".

donelson

[12]Nov 21, 2007
    • level: 10
    (Sorry: Could not post new thread due to forum editor not working with Mac OSX Safari)

TRIVIA, Season 3, episode "Twilight" --

In this episode, Archer fights with a Xindi and it looks like he stabs him with a Star Wars statuette, but it might be some other statuette.

The statuette has what looks a bit like a WW-II German army helmet.

Does anyone know what this actually is?

Thanks

Avivaldi72

[13]Nov 23, 2007
    • level: 12
    Season 3 was my second-favorite season, after season 4.

The Xindi storyline was awesome.

seto1

[14]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 16
    well to me if the xindi were so advanced why couldn't they have waited until their weapon was completed i quite understood,well i clad they did cause it gave us a chance to fight back

thedeathdefyer

[15]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 22
    In my opinion, as a stand-alone season, the Xindi arc isn't so bad. However, once you consider that they have never been mentioned before in any other Star Trek series (and the attack on Earth MUST have made the history books!) then I think it is just another continuity error on the part of the creators/writers. I think they just wanted some cool story arc for season 3 and just completely ignored the established Trek timeline/history.

beowulf579

[16]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 59
    I can't support that reasoning. Alot of history is "major" but doesn't get mentioned in the TNG, DS9 or even Voy. Take Garth of Izar (I think thats right)..he did something in the TOS that helpled make Spock and Kirk be able to fight as brothers. Implying Vulcans and Humans. But we never hear anything more on that. In the TOS, the whole freakin universe "blinked" in and out. I would consider that more major than a Xindi attack but it's never again mentioned. Did the writers forget? Or did it just never come up?

lobomensch

[17]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 51
    That's part of what really annoyed me about the whole Xindi misfits storyline, the fact that they NEVER even rated a mention before in previous continuity. They could've focused on something more interesting/in Star Trek canon for a recurring enemy, like the Gorn or something better than the half-witted Romulan sequence they had going. But in all truth, I despised that whole storyline for being the thinly veiled then-current news commentary it was - truly lazy writing.

CoolUserName

[18]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 7

lobomensch wrote:
    That's part of what really annoyed me about the whole Xindi misfits storyline, the fact that they NEVER even rated a mention before in previous continuity. They could've focused on something more interesting/in Star Trek canon for a recurring enemy, like the Gorn or something better than the half-witted Romulan sequence they had going. But in all truth, I despised that whole storyline for being the thinly veiled then-current news commentary it was - truly lazy writing.

I agree on all points. Plus the idea of adhering strictly to one story arc for an entire season is simply a bad idea. If you miss an episode or two you may as well just not watch and wait for the DVDs. I think that's why some people don't dislike it as much anymore: they get the DVDs and watch the episodes one after another. The season seems better that way.

lobomensch

[19]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 51
    I don't mind a continuing storyline, IF it is a good one. This one wasn't. In between their trying to be the Trek News Network and the clumsily shoed-in one-offs like that Phantom Of The Opera rip with Hoshi, this story wandered all over the place desperately trying to keep people interested while trying to pad itself out to justify the length and that debacle of a finale known as Patterns Of Force Redux. Blechhh!

sewkraytz

[20]Jan 7, 2008
    • level: 5
    I didn't like the Xindi thing at all! First of all, I don't accept the argument that more important things happened in the continuity that have been forgotten. Humanity's first contact (with the Vulcans) is well established, as is our first interstellar war (with the Romulans). Why would our first attack (by the Xindi) go unmentioned by future generations?

Secondly, I hated the whole temporal cold war plot s much or more than anyone else, but the idea that "It was also nice that they took a break from messing with established continuity and the ridiculous temporal cold war." just doesn't apply. The Xindi were just pawns in the cold war. I think that that is why the whole mess didn't feature in the established timeline! It was all just an awful attempt to move away from the prequel nature of the show, and I still think that it was a horrible idea.