Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

What positive things did ENT bring to the Trek Universe?

beowulf579

[1]May 8, 2007
    • level: 59
    What did ENT contribute to the Trek Universe. There has to be something?

For me I guess one thing would be a multi-sentient species like the Xindi. Unless I am mistaken most Trek worlds never had more than 2 sentient species at a time on a planet.

So what else?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

spacebas1972

[2]May 9, 2007
    • level: 1

Enterprise brought a sense of history to the Trek universe. Off the top of my head:

1) We learned more about the animosity between the Andorians and the Vulcans originally introduced in TOS.

2) We learned more about the Orions, I don't think we had ever seen an Orion male before.

3) We got to see a time when the Vulcans and the Federation were more adversarial and the Vulcans still had the upper hand technologically.

4) We saw much more of the Tholoians and what kind of species they were.

I enjoyed Enterprise for flushing out the background stories of the races that we had been introduced to in the other series. Although perhaps you would have to be a Trekkie to enjoy ENT since it drew so heavily on storylines and races developed in previous series. Once they strayed off to Xindi-land it went downhill in my opinion.

copygeek

[3]May 14, 2007
    • level: 13

spacebas1972 wrote:
    Once they strayed off to Xindi-land it went downhill in my opinion.

WHAT?? That's when the series actually started getting fantastic. The first two years were just same old Trek to me. The last two seasons really turned the show into something new and refreshing.

I think the positive that ENT contributed to Trek was mainly that it gave Trek a much needed reboot. Trek was getting a little bit stale with all the perfect humans always doing the "right" thing in every situation. It was nice to finally see humans who were flawed but learning to grow into something more over time.

heeroyuy2006

[4]May 23, 2007
    • level: 8
    Some other contributions were explaining why the Klingons look changed from TOS to TNG, what happened to the debris of the Borg ship from ST: First Contact, what events helped lead to the creation of the Federation, showing first contact with the Klingons, and showing what happened in the Mirror Universe before Kirk and the others crossed over to it.

GripNRip73

[5]May 23, 2007
    • level: 7

It is cool to see that with this series that Archer did some 'bad' things in order to save the planet.  Stealing the Warp Coil by force.  However, it appears that this had some minor flair, but with the same type of main characters that each ST series had.  The Captain, 1st Officer, Science Officer, Engineer, Tactical Officer, Doctor, Communications Officer, Science Officer, just missing some Counselor. 

Another mentioned that there should be another series after that.  Where would that take place?  How far in the future would that be?  Who would be in it, and how many stories of the past captains, admirals. 

bunnykissinger

[6]Jul 6, 2007

i believe the main point of Enterprise was to show the beginning of the trek universe...the first ship,...the first captain

they were the crew establishing the federation, making the first real trip into the unknown

in the other series, the trek universe is already there, and the people are reacting to it, here it is being created

and it also explains the originations of some of the Rules and animositiesamounst the masses of aliens.

petef20

[7]Jul 13, 2007
    • level: 22

Personally I think it added more of a sense of fun than some of the other shows. (Please don't crucify me for that comment if you disagree.)

Enterprise is the only Star Trek I've ever really gotten into.

PunkNerd5

[8]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 24

Enterprise positives for me were:

How the Klingons looked like humans;

All the ethical episodes: Simultude, Cogenitor, etc.;

Seeing the tension between Humans and Vulcans;

Answers to what happened to the Defiant and seeing the founding of the Federation, even though it was very, very brief.

sfviewer

[9]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 27

beowulf579 wrote:
    What did ENT contribute to the Trek Universe. There has to be something? For me I guess one thing would be a multi-sentient species like the Xindi. Unless I am mistaken most Trek worlds never had more than 2 sentient species at a time on a planet. So what else?

it tied up some of the loose ends of the old series. like the episode where there were klingons that look like humans, they devoted an episode on that one explaining how they ended up looking like humans.

cook567

[10]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 54

Jeffrey Combs

Jonathan Frakes

Marina Sirtis

Brent Spiner

(ahem!)

cale1234567

[11]Sep 19, 2008
    I loved the the fleshing out of the andorians
    weev only seen them a couple of time in trek
    before ent

the founding of the federation
    archer and his teams role in it
    the romulans and ther unlimited expansion doctrine
    and the early klingons
    we see archer and duras
    eminty essentailly causing the klingon - human hostilitys it was all good the vulcan reformation the romulan interfereance in thier internal politics
    god bless syran

i even loved the borg episode

wingsabre

[12]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 13
    I think Ent took more away from Star Trek than it gave. It took away the fun from Star Trek. The first 2 season, was when they tried too hard to be star trek, but yet ignored being a legacy series and didn't do anything to explain the future. Instead of having some fun, they just gave the feeling that they were trying to swim in the deep end of the pool. It was too sterile, and then they brought in the Xindi which made the series unwatchable for Star Trek fans.

Boinkdexter

[13]May 28, 2009
    • level: 19
    The Klingon thing was a good idea. But DS9 had already covered that for me by acknowledging that the Klingons did look different. So, Enterprise kind of ruined that.

The best, well only good, thing that Enterprise did was to explain why the history of the Borg was different on Voyager than it had been on TNG. The Federation and the Borg didn't know about each other until Q pulled his little trick. So how did the Hansens know about the Borg first? Because the rumors that they followed up on were started by the events in Regeneration, which hadn't occurred yet in TNG: Q-Who. The First Contact movie happened before Voyager started encountering the Borg.

seto1

[14]Jun 13, 2009
    • level: 16
    For me it help create a better picture as to how far humans had to come before they were ready to be as instrumental in federation as they are.The journey with various paths taken always helps you place greater value on what you have.

Rich1701

[15]Sep 24, 2009
    • level: 3
    It made sure Berman and Braga would never work on Star Trek again.

seto1

[16]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 16
    For as was said before its was great to see humanity struggling on their own for a bit before the federation,it makes you appreciate what they accomplished.

MajorZod

[17]Dec 10, 2009
    • level: 2
    Enterprise in my opinion brought the best character development of all the Trek series.

MCGlenn1981

[18]Jan 3, 2010
    • level: 6
    Boinkdexter wrote:
    The Klingon thing was a good idea. But DS9 had already covered that for me by acknowledging that the Klingons did look different. So, Enterprise kind of ruined that. The best, well only good, thing that Enterprise did was to explain why the history of the Borg was different on Voyager than it had been on TNG. The Federation and the Borg didn't know about each other until Q pulled his little trick. So how did the Hansens know about the Borg first? Because the rumors that they followed up on were started by the events in Regeneration, which hadn't occurred yet in TNG: Q-Who. The First Contact movie happened before Voyager started encountering the Borg.
    I tend to look at this Borg thing as a Paradox, "The Chicken & The Egg Will", if you except the fact that Guinen knew of the Borg, well then it's logical to conclude that there existence was guessed upon but had no real solid evidence, Hence the Hansens go looking. In additions to this I believe, we can believe that Q knew, that the Borg knew of the Federations existence already due to the fact that the Borg sent a message to the Delta Quadrant in Regeneration (ENT) which they say would take around 200 years to get there. So they kept the continuity of the timing. Hence the overall result is that Q sent the Enterprise D to face the Borg to give them a kick up the ass because he knew they were already coming and in the 200 years that have gone by, Humanity is still not ready for them because lets face it, it was put on the long finger. Also the Borg name is never mentioned in the Regeneration episode.
    Edited on 01/03/2010 1:09pm

archangelwho

[19]Jan 29, 2010
    • level: 18
    spacebas1972 wrote:

Enterprise brought a sense of history to the Trek universe. Off the top of my head:

1) We learned more about the animosity between the Andorians and the Vulcans originally introduced in TOS.

2) We learned more about the Orions, I don't think we had ever seen an Orion male before.

3) We got to see a time when the Vulcans and the Federation were more adversarial and the Vulcans still had the upper hand technologically.

4) We saw much more of the Tholoians and what kind of species they were.

I enjoyed Enterprise for flushing out the background stories of the races that we had been introduced to in the other series. Although perhaps you would have to be a Trekkie to enjoy ENT since it drew so heavily on storylines and races developed in previous series. Once they strayed off to Xindi-land it went downhill in my opinion.

Great points. I always like it when one way or another you get the history of a show. It also kept Star Trek going a few years longer. I also agree the Xindi storyline may have lead to the end of the sow. It just never did seem to get going.

archangelwho

[20]Jan 29, 2010
    • level: 18

Boinkdexter wrote:
    The Klingon thing was a good idea. But DS9 had already covered that for me by acknowledging that the Klingons did look different. So, Enterprise kind of ruined that. The best, well only good, thing that Enterprise did was to explain why the history of the Borg was different on Voyager than it had been on TNG. The Federation and the Borg didn't know about each other until Q pulled his little trick. So how did the Hansens know about the Borg first? Because the rumors that they followed up on were started by the events in Regeneration, which hadn't occurred yet in TNG: Q-Who. The First Contact movie happened before Voyager started encountering the Borg.

But unless I missed a STDS9 show they did not tell us why Klingons looked different. I agree the whole Borg thing was a big mess up. How could you have interaction with something like the Borg and the paper work get lost?